Is Jimmy D'Alessandro still around?

86brick

It's just a V6 Brick.....
Did anybody catch the little paragraph on page 7 of the latest issue of GMHTP? I just got mine today and noticed how he made a phone call to them to complain about the fact that no history was given about the old record for a single turbo buick (which he held) when they mentioned Bill's 7.59 pass from last years GS Nationals in the April '05 issue....

Here's the paragraph from the mag...

"In our Apr. '05 issue, we included coverage from the GSCA's 2004 GS Nationals. On page 57 it mentioned Bill Anderson's scathing 7.59 ET at 181 mph run---and Bill has gone as fast as 7.25 at 188, a new world record for single-turbo Buicks. No history was given about what the old record was, and a phone call from Jim D'Alessandro reminded us that a hell of a lot happened before this current staff set foot inside GMHTP's door. Indeed, Jim D's '87 GN was the king for years; he tells us that the record setting run of 7.61 at 179 took place in 1996. This time was set with a 272-inch Stage II V-6 with M&A street heads and a single 91mm turbo. Besides being top dog, D'Alessandro was the first to break into the 12-, 11-, 10-, 9-, and 7 second zone."

My question is where is this guy now?? Kinda sounds like he is a legend in his own mind if it was so important for him to call Rick Jensen and make him print this in the mag.....

Who knows maybe Jimmy D is gonna make a come back and give Bill some competition for the title of fastest single turbo Buick:D

thought i heard he was racing boats . that was a while ago though. wonder if hes using a turbo v6 motor. :D

turbot2112 said:
thought i heard he was racing boats . that was a while ago though. wonder if hes using a turbo v6 motor. :D

Yeah I think somebody else had mentioned he was racing boats now... Would be cool to see a turbo6 powered boat! ;)

The car and drivetrain were sold a long time ago. I never heard of the new owner even running in the 7's...not that I was really watching though.

SKI bought the drivetrain, I'll add my .02. Jimmy D's car was 1900# and was running polypropelyne or whatever the hell they call it. It doesnt matter anyway, .35 and 9mph is alot of difference!

Except Jim did it like 10 years ago. I think that makes it a big difference.

GNSCOTT said:
Except Jim did it like 10 years ago. I think that makes it a big difference.

Duttweiler went faster at 400 to 500 more lbs around the same time and actually built the motor and combination himself.
The fact that is was a single is not a big deal. A 91MM Thumper will make the same power as old school twin 66s.

How does Duttweiler have anything to do with Jim's car and how it performed after he sold it?

As for the jail, I never met Jim once in my life, so I could really care less and again has nothing to do with the topic. Terry Houston's products are still sold and respected on this site.

I was impressed with what Jim did, and I was impressed with what Duttweiler did, especially since they both did it well before others were doing it. John force doesn't build his own car either.

GNSCOTT said:
How does Duttweiler have anything to do with Jim's car and how it performed after he sold it?

As for the jail, I never met Jim once in my life, so I could really care less and again has nothing to do with the topic. Terry Houston's products are still sold and respected on this site.

I was impressed with what Jim did, and I was impressed with what Duttweiler did, especially since they both did it well before others were doing it. John force doesn't build his own car either.

Scott,

I deleted the other part of my post in regards to his personal life.

What bothers me is that Jimmy had to put his 2 cents into some one else's deal. Kind of like I am doing now.=) Jimmy had the fastest single turbo buick, that weighed 1900lbs and had carpet on the cage and cheated with polypropelyne.

He is almost making the same power as Dave Bamford does in TSM. :eek:

I was impressed at the time, but now I am not as much.
You can not take the numbers away from him though.

I did hear that he rubbed people the wrong way and maybe left a couple of people hanging.That is inexcusable.

THere are possibly a few cars that make the same power as Bill Anderson now(not trying to start anything)
Tony Gomes went 8.49 last year weighing over 3600#s,THat motor in a
tube chassis car with a Lenco would be wayyyy faster than an 8.49

Well. GMHTP call me about 3 mos ago and wanted my fastest ET and MPH, they had already known about the 7.25 at 188, I guess this is why :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .. I never even considered his car to be the fastest because of what he had used to get there. Conley was the man I was gunning for with his STRING of 7.70s at 2750# on gasoline.For the history guys...Jimmy's car was built and raced by Ron Cosner who ran in the 8's with a N/A V6 before he got it. :D

KLHAMMETT said:
THere are possibly a few cars that make the same power as Bill Anderson now(not trying to start anything)
Tony Gomes went 8.49 last year weighing over 3600#s,THat motor in a
tube chassis car with a Lenco would be wayyyy faster than an 8.49

There are probably ALOT more people making MORE power but dont have the same combination, hey if it was easy, everybody would be doing it! My car is 2570# for comparison reasons

that car was just plain nasty no matter what kind of stuff he was putting in the tank or whatever it weighed. heck,these cars are nasty in general. anybody ever see his car run at the track? what a sight. just like anybody elses buick that runs in the 10s,9s,8s, or 7s,. you have to give him credit though, that was a long time ago. its something that a lot of us on this board dont get see to often. but when you do, :D :D

Weight has a LOT to do with what the fastest cars run. D'Alessandro's car was extremely light - somewhere in the ballpark of 2200# - I think he was running a carbon fiber front clip, doors, and deck lid toward the end before he crashed it. I think I remember him quoting it at around 800-900hp which was more impressive at that time than now. Never heard that about the propylene. Like Bill said, it takes more than just sheer power to run the numbers or everyone would be doing it. I can guarantee it takes a lot more than a lot of people will ever know to run those kind of numbers!

Not that anyone really cares, but it is propylene oxide :). Also, a 7.61 at 1900 lbs takes 850 average rwhp, while a 7.25 at 2570 lbs takes 1330 (and 8.49 at 3650 takes 1175).