Is my car doing what it's supposed to?

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok. Had the car out crusing around for more verification of numbers. (blms, afr, o2's etc) Everything in my sig is current & up to date. Had the boost turned down as far as it will go (about 17psi) and no meth in the bottle so I backed my timing down to where it would be if I were running a non alky TT chip, and even though my car "feels" fast, it surely wasn't. A cammed G8GT and a modded base model turbo Lancer beat me. Of course it was roll racing and my car's specifically set up for standard hole shot racing (I put a certain amount of lag in my combo to reduce wheelspin) but should they have beat me? I'm guessing with this combo the car should be hovering around high 12's. Am I off? The G8 has a mismatched stall and consequently runs about a 13.1 in the quarter.

Likely way too many variables in your roll races to accurately gauge where your car would ET and mph had you been at the track.

Roll racing with these is a mixed bag. Most 11-12aec TR's only really do work from 20-100 against a comparably matched or quicker car.

The G8 is certainly gonna be disadvantaged at the track vs street from a roll. Not enough info on the dsm - could be a beast with a tbe and a tune.

Likely way too many variables in your roll races to accurately gauge where your car would ET and mph had you been at the track.

Roll racing with these is a mixed bag. Most 11-12aec TR's only really do work from 20-100 against a comparably matched or quicker car.

The G8 is certainly gonna be disadvantaged at the track vs street from a roll. Not enough info on the dsm - could be a beast with a tbe and a tune.

I was just wondering what my car would et in the quarter, on a track, with the given parameters above. We were racing from about 40 mph to WOT for about 5 second blasts. And what's a "dsm" and a "tbe"?

A dsm - diamond star motor which is Mitsubishi.

Tbe - import speak for Turbo-Back exhaust.

Only one way to know what it will run at the track.

Why race without your alky though? I can not see your sig on my phone but I'll check it out later at home. Some combos are useless on low boost and straight pump.

Ah yea. I knew what DSM stood for but for some reason my brain's stuck on talons/eclipses when I see those three letters. Here's my sig:

Lonnie Diers 109 w/ forged crank & rjc girdle, 206/210 roller, TA61, 60lb mototrons, 10" ptc 2800 N/L, power plate, 23 row slic, razors alky, gen 2 translator w/TT alky, or extender extreme alky chip, LC1 wb O2, scanmaster, plastic 3.5" LS1 maf, 3" DP, rjc engine brace, hotwired walbro, bosch 237 fpr, 2.5" dual stainless exhaust, bilstein shocks, 1.375" rear sway, & dual air bags, coupled to a Lonnie Diers trans. Still working out the bugs :( But getting close :) 275/50 hoosier radials, hawk pads, braided brakes lines, dot 4 fluid & poly motor mount next weekend. On deck: ported tb/plenum, Champion ported irons, port matched intake, drive shaft, axles, & detroit locker IF, I can work out the bugs.

The G8 has a cam, tune, CAI, and at least a cat back. If I'm wrong, then he has a full exhaust with short or mid-length headers. His stall is stock, and it does hold him back.

Personally I've never ran a combo similar to yours on straight pump gas. Given what you've got though I would expect every bit of 110-112 in the 1/4 on pump gas (way more on lots of Boost with alky and/or race gas). Again, lots of variables to really say for sure.

Before I changed out my heads and intake I had a similar set up. With Alky on and 24lbs of boost I ran 11.71 at 114mph. Depending on their mods you should have no issue beating those two cars.

'87 GN 58K miles (rebuilt engine by Don Cruz at 47K), 6262 Billet Precision Turbo, Precision 60 lbs injectors, 206/210 Revolution X Roller Cam, Comp Roller lifters, Champion Iron Heads, Champion Ported Intake, T&D 1.65 Roller Rockers, 70 mm Hemco Upper Intake, 70 mm Acufab TB, PTC 10" TC 2800 Stall w/LU, Razor's Kit, ESP FMIC, B & M Shift kit, 3" GN1 DP w/46mm external wastegate, 2 3/4" Dual Magna flow exhaust, ATR Headers, 3.5" Kirbans Aluminium Driveshaft, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Spohn Boxed Rear Lowers, Spohn Rear Uppers, SD2 Chip, XP Plus Fuel Pump w/hotwire, Turbonetics Boost Controller, Scanmaster, Powerlogger, Hurst Line Lock, MT ET Streets 255/50-16

Before I changed out my heads and intake I had a similar set up. With Alky on and 24lbs of boost I ran 11.71 at 114mph. Depending on their mods you should have no issue beating those two cars.

Yeah and a 61 has been 10's on a stock longblock ALL IN (race gas) with fewer bolt-ons...it just all depends on how hard you are willing to push the setup and if you have the tune and octane to match.

This is just me...but if I am going to race something in my TR, I am going to have it in race trim. A lot of the parts we add really don't start to pay off until you are at higher boost levels. This is why alky is great to have on a car you want to drive all the time and street race. Get it dialed in for full kill on the alky and leave it there.

I have a DD TR also that I run on straight 93 (for now) which is another story; but it's not modded with any intent of being very quick - just fun to drive and decent mpg.

You're just not running enough boost to move the air needed to make big power. Detuned to 17 lbs of boost and 93 octane is pretty much a stock setting. The cam helps but I would guess it is a 13.5 car as it is. Use your alky and turn up the boost; why punish yourself?

Well this was her maiden voyage since getting it put back together. I wanted to drive around just to see if it's actually working ok. If I spin a bearing or blow a head gasket, I want to do it at 40mph, under the most minimum boost I can get lol. I was just verifying reliabilty. Plus I have the world's shittiest tires on the car right now (radial t/as) so I can't do anything anyways. At this point, it's tuned enough for me to go to the next step which is a race tire. So now I can WOT the car from a stand still and take it all the way up to 70 or so while having the passenger watch the gauges. Or I can figure out how to data log as well.

You're just not running enough boost to move the air needed to make big power. Detuned to 17 lbs of boost and 93 octane is pretty much a stock setting. The cam helps but I would guess it is a 13.5 car as it is. Use your alky and turn up the boost; why punish yourself?

17 psi on a TA61 is pretty much stock? Really? I thought these cars were pretty much 14.5 cars bone stock with a decent launch. Maybe a good tire. 2 more PSI on a larger turbo w/ cam and stretch slick and powerplate with a great exhaust only nets me .5 seconds?

Right. An engine is an air pump. If you only put a stock amount of air into each cylinder, you will get stock results. If you put a little more than stock air in each cylinder, you will get a little more than stock performance. The engine doesn't know you have a TA61 or whether it's a bad ass Buick GN, it just knows how much air it is pumping. More air + more fuel = more power.

I realize this. But I was thinking that a had a little more air going into this engine than a half a seconds worth lol. Ah well. I'll wait until I get my tires and and we'll re-examine this situation :)

Larkin has a great point, albeit slightly exaggerated maybe. You have supporting parts (cam, converter, IC, DP) that are helping your setup out some at lower boost, just not by that much. The 61 will do a little more at 17psi than a stocker, but again not really all that much (it's well under its "sweet spot"). For your car to be a superhero it has to be all-in.

Gauging by this board and local friends/people I know, I still stand by you being able to get some 110-112 mph performance out of your setup under ideal conditions if you did everything possible to optimize it for straight pump gas - but why even bother? It's playing with fire while leaving tons of performance on the table.

Ok. Tires will here in a few days. We'll see what alky, alky timing, and a few more pounds of boost does. I hope the tires hold.