Is my header cracked?

V8killR4U

I notice a small ticking or may be described as clicking noise that seems to be coming from the driver side when I initially start to take off froma dead stop. I really only notice it when im accelerating from a low speed. I was thinking my driver side header was cracked. It didnt do this last year or when i bought the car and just started being noticeable a few months ago. Is there anyy test that can be performed to see if its an exhaust heder leak? You guys think its a cracked header? If not any idea of what i might want to look for? Seems to spool up a lil slower than normal.:confused:

You might want to verify that your crank position sensor isn't being hit by one of the three triggering flags on the ring attached to the crank pulley. Also one of the sensor trigger sections could be bent and out of round.

My sensor shifted in the bracket once and it made a ticking sound that was loudest at idle. I just used a feeler guage on both sides of the ring and split the total clearance in half it to set the gap on one side.

Bob

Definately sounds like a cracked header. Ill bet if you turn off the radio and just listen quietly at cruise speeds the motor will sounds like a sewing machine.......mine did it for a while and it drove me nuts. the best way to check is to take of the driver side front tirre and from there you will get a straight shot st the driver side header. If it is indeed the header, you might want to get it fixed soon as it will most likely just get progressively worse

I noticed my header was cracked at night. After driving the car a bit I could actually see where it was crack by the red- orange (hot ) glow on the header where it was cracked, the rest of the header will be dark/ black (no glow). Hope this helps.

Pour half a bottle of GM Top Engine Cleaner into the throttle body slowly and don't let the car die. Then, pour the other half in and let the car die. Restart the car and clear the flood and watch for smoke coming from the header and other exhaust components. The leak should be obvious.

If you want to be 100 percent sure, pull the header. It isn't that hard to get out. HTH

p.s. change the oil afterwards

mistascott nailed this one. just pick up a bottle of the top engine cleaner at a dealership (about $6 last time i got one). flip your up pipe upside down (still connected to the tb) and pour it in slowly. take a look at the header while you do this, you'll know if its cracked. good luck, aaron

I can tig weld it for you if needed. $60 for one side shipped back to your door. You pay shipping to me. I pay shipping back to you.
Thanks
Tim