Is the Garrett AR60 the stock turbo?

You mean on the compressor cover? I think it could be a .60 or .63 with .60 being the case more than likely. Why do you ask?

Well kinda normal but the problem is... my TA-54 has AR .60 stamped on it just like the stock piece.:D :D

Do you want to know if your turbo is stock or not? Does it have a cast inlet bell on it? Remove the flex hose on the turbo inlet (one hose clamp) and look inside at the inlet bell. If the inlet bell is "as cast" meaning it has not been machined or blended AND the turbo inlet (where the wheel is) is still smaller than the inner diameter of the inlet bell, you have a stock turbo.

I don't think they make them that way.

Why? Probably cause if you pay x amount for a turbo, you want it to flow as good as possible. A cast inlet won't do that with out some machine work. I could see making a cast inlet that was only machined on the inside to match the turbo inlet but it appears to be easier to just have a fully machined inlet.

If it is a problem, maybe you can spray it aluminum color or something so it matches the turbo.

I'm just trying to finger out if I have a stock turbo or not.

Is there some cosmic marking on the housing that I can use?

The inlet bell is marked Garrett A/R60. Is that marking correct for a stock turbo? If it is, then I know it's still possible it's not stock, but if it's not normal, then it's definitely not stock.

I think the moderator should just come to my house and answer the question once and for all! (j/k)

No. Though its highly unlikely, someone could swap TA61 guts inside stock compressor and turbine housings and the external markings would be the same.

By looking inside the turbo inlet you can see if the compressor housing has been machined for the larger guts. The opening of a stock turbo housing is smaller than the inner diameter of the inlet bell. Sooooo, if you look inside and this is the case, you have a stock turbo. It's pretty simple actually.

If the opening is larger than the ID of the inlet bell and/or the inlet bell has been machined, the turbo may no be stock, and you'll have to take some measurements.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

One thing I don't understand is why a non-stock turbo can't have an un-machined housing.....If it's not a stock Buick turbo the housings are *always* machined?

A TA49 is a small step up from the stock turbo and it requires the inlet bell to be machined to match. If the turbo you have is smaller than a TA 49, its close enought to stock to be stock.