Is the IC going to be a bad bottleneck with my combo?

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
I recently found that i have to put together a new engine because people arent very honest anymore. :eek: Shocking right....anyways. I have most of the parts together, see signature. The only problem is im lacking in funds after all my lovely purchases. Is the stock IC going to hurt performance that much?

Dan

AZGN gave the best advice...this will help a lot for $$ spent.

Looks like you'll have a pretty balanced combo! :)

a stock IC may cause you problems. There was a local guy that ran a pt52 with the stock IC running high boost 27-28#. The neck, on the IC, actually cracked. You might wanna invest in the neck modification at minimum.. Just a word of caution...

It will run well with what you have. It will run even better with a big neck. Maybe another 0.15-.2 secs?

It is the weak link in the combo but not a disaster. Save your money for a V4 down the line would be my advice. :)

steve what is my car going too pick up when I finally get a stretch intercooler on right now it is a stocker with the dutt. neck. It busted an 11.14 first pass with this setup

I would guess close to two tenths...maybe a bit more if you are pushing that kinda air.

I would like to say at least 4 tenths more that stock, but it really depends upon the ultimate boost level, turbo efficiency, etc., etc....

thanks steve I think you are correct. That ET was produced with only 21# of boost, not even workin the turbo at that point. so I would think It has too pick up. I was also only on 26x10 ET Drags which are not right for the car either. I am also switching too a bigger roller cam probably 212/212. I shouldn't have a problem going mid 10's before it is all over except one little problem no cage:cool:

Instead of switching cams, I would go to a V4 or similar and turn the boost up. That is cheaper than struggling with the cam and hoping it all works...

When you feel a severe attack of masochism coming on, then start playing with the cams... LOL

that isn't the reason i am going away from the 208/208 I have the motor out of the car and one of the lifters on the #6 cylinder didn't seem too be spinning correctly and had weird wear on that lifter. kinda freaked me out with all of the weird problems people have with these camshafts. I have most of the stuff too go roller laying around ( chain, lifters, etc). maybe I am just paranoid but I have had more bad luck this year than about anybody here and I was just trying too eliminate another variable. An Intercooler is in order very shortly. Don't ask why the motor is out once again :mad:

If the lifter was not spinning correctly, the cam is on the way out whether it looks bad yet or not.

I would suggest the TA hd cam bearings....I have had trouble with the front cam bearing wearing and that ain't good. :)

I run the 210 roller and think it is a good profile. Anything similar should work well. That extra spring pressure is hard on the cam bearings, tho...that is the reason I suggest the TA units.

I was also thinking of the 210. what if any idle or drivabilty characteristics are there with this cam. what about recommended shift points.
thanks for your help

The 210 seems to be an excellent street grind with a very flat torque curve. Mine idles very well but I do have the idle set at 800 in the ME which works very well with my 75# injectors.

It pulls strongly from idle to 6000 rpm. It works very well with my 45.

i figured it would be a weak link but i just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be a drastic performance killer. At least i know what my next mod will be :) I would get the big neck but i cant justify spending 150 and then buying a V4 later down the line (when i wanna go faster).....spend the money once is what i say. Thanks for the replies.

Dan

A clean and shiny big neck intercooler should be able to hold its value rather well.

You might lose $25-$35 total on the whole deal.

I have a V4 on one car but went with the big neck on the GN for now. Glad I did too. :)