Is there any aftermarket turbo that will bolt to an 85 GN throttlebody?

Chaotic GN 85

I have come to a dead end, I didnt want to move my throttlebody and go through all of the customization, but I wanted to upgrade my turbo. I have called all around the country to different shops, and no one can help me.
Does anyone know of a brand or a place to get ahold of an upgraded turbo for an 85 Grand National that will bolt on to the throttlebody?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You have to send your stock turbo in to get upgraded. A nice upgrade would be a TA49. PTE and Limit did a couple for me years ago. I highly suggest Limit if they're still around. Quality was great and they have done quite a few of the hotair upgrades.

The TA33C is an TA49 compressor wheels in a Hot Air core. They are expensive due to the machining necessary to the core. Good luck, Brad

I canot answer this question for a couple of weeks. I had a bad knock problem last fall when I pulled the TA33C for a rebuild. Put my spare stock turbo on for the winter. I solved my knock and the car really moves with the stocker on the car. I will put the TA33C on in several weeks. Remember, i have an integrated downpipe which eliminates the 2 inch turbo elbow. I will post when I have real data. Thanks- Brad

Yea I am just waiting to make sure I have enough money on my credit card and I am sending it out to arizona to be machined to the ta49. I am also not worried about knock, because I have that Razor alky Kit waiting to be installed.

Also has anyone had problems with GBodyParts.com, because I never received my knock guage that I payed for and the 3rd tail light assembly I ordered came to me broken.

I thought as much, I know the stock turbo flows 350 cfm and the TA33c version flows 700cfm. I just wish there were more people in Arkansas to help me out with this car. I get lost easy. Not a good starter, fix up toy. Steep learning curve

Is the TA33 easier and cheaper to do than the TA49 or the other way around? I also am building a hot air and want to upgrade but its a lot of money. THANKS...mike

The price SHOULD be similar between the two. They were back when I had mine done to a 62 but that was many years ago.

The 33 is a direct bolt on. The 49 is in the 87 housing so it would take a little adapting unless you're running an intercooler.

Back when I was Hot Air:cool:
I had Percision convert mine, they called it a TA48
Used it for 3 years and sold it later
Price was $800.00
BUT no problems!
Sold it for $350.00 when nobody wanted HA

All the posts since my last post on this thread are correct. I do not want to encourage members to spend alot of money on a TA33C when their setup will not take to cfm from the turbo. I am running ported throttlebody, intake and heads port matched. Integrated downpipe straight 2 1/2 exhaust with test pipe. Most of these members have the stock 2 inch turbo elbow which means the whole exhaust is 2 inches- 2 inch turbo elbo plus 3.5 downpipe = 2 inch exhaust. Small gains after that. Take care= Brad

It flows double the air as the stocker but spools just as good. You can run your stock torque convertor. It's very worth it. It can take you into the 11s with a good tune and supporting mods.

11's! That's awesome, what does an upgrade cost? I might be willing to do that. I know a lot of people that have made the switch to the 86-87 setup, but if I could get my HA Nash in the 11's with a downpipe and ??TA33C?? then that would make me super happy. Tell me what I need, because you made up my mind! Thanks!:D

QUOTE BY Chaotic 85 GN>>>Also has anyone had problems with GBodyParts.com, because I never received my knock guage that I payed for and the 3rd tail light assembly I ordered came to me broken.[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but I had a miserable time trying to get my exhaust system from gbodyparts. I ordered it, they charged my credit card that day, and 4 weeks later, I still didn't have my exhaust. I called them several times, and no one would answer. I tried to email them and the address on the web site wouldn't work for whatever reason. When I finally got to talk to someone, they told me the 2-3/4" aluminized system I ordered was no longer available, but they never contacted me to tell me that!!:mad: So they said they would sub a 2-1/2" stainless system for the same price. So 5 weeks later,(9 weeks from order date :eek: ) I get the system....minus 1 muffler, and no clamps like the description said. :mad: After several more phone calls (you can imagine how pissed I was at this point :mad: ) It took 12 WEEKS!!!! to finally get all the parts to the system.....except they sent three 2-1/2" clamps and one 3" clamp! :mad: AAARRRGGHH!!!:mad: I just took the one clamp to the local parts store and they exchanged it straight across and I didn't even buy it from them!!:eek: And don't get me started on the cat gasket they said wasn't needed or available. It was in the picture WITH the cat that I bought...ON THEIR WEBSITE!!! :mad: :mad: And now they offer it separately...but they said I didn't need it and it wasn't available! So as you can see, I feel your pain. It really is a shame, cause they offer alot of great hard to find parts at a reasonable price, but in retail buisness, customer satisfaction is KEY!! needless to say, I was not very satisfied. Since I have spent hundreds more on parts from other vendors because their customer service is better. FWIW.:cool:

11's! That's awesome, what does an upgrade cost? I might be willing to do that. I know a lot of people that have made the switch to the 86-87 setup, but if I could get my HA Nash in the 11's with a downpipe and ??TA33C?? then that would make me super happy. Tell me what I need, because you made up my mind! Thanks!:D

I haven't ordered one in so many years. There are others on here that would know the prices. For 11s, a good start would be porting the intake manifold since you have to pull the turbo off anyway. Walbro 340 with hotwire, Methanol injection, headers and downpipe. Then tune, tune, tune.

I haven't ordered one in so many years. There are others on here that would know the prices. For 11s, a good start would be porting the intake manifold since you have to pull the turbo off anyway. Walbro 340 with hotwire, Methanol injection, headers and downpipe. Then tune, tune, tune.

I paid Limit for my original TA33C $930 shipped three years ago and Precision $330 shipped for a rebuid I didn't need. Good Luck- brad