Is this used stuff I bought even useable?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Guys,

I bought a 40K mile crank/rods/pistons from a fellow board member. I haven't been able to contact him at all since I received it. I was going to try and re-sell.... but after looking closely at all of it... I am questioning weather any of it would be useable at all... no matter how much cleaning/deburring/ etc you did. I definately wouldn't re-sell it without reducing the price considerably and lots of pics to a potential buyer. It would ahve to be "as-is". I am probably going to have to break this up into multiple posts to get all the pics to show.

I even took pictures of the box before I openend it.... just like it arrived on my doorstep.....Once opened...the pistons were still on the rods... and wrapped in newspaper... some of the newspaper was off the rods.... the crank was in the same box..... as you can see from the holes in the box.... the rods/pistons got roled around inside with the crank..... I'm not sure if any of it is any good.....definately doesn't look like 40k mile stuff that came out of a running motor. I want other boar members opinion on what I should do.....I haven't left any negative feedback yet... because I have not actually been able to contact the seller since I openend the box.... I am being extremely patient. It has been 3 weeks or so since I first tried to contact him......

Anyway.... here are the pics..... Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 945
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 931
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 907
More.

Attachments

• IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_4037.JPG
    IMG_4037.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_4038.jpg
    IMG_4038.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 898
One more set.

Now..... What do you guys think? Can it be saved.... or what?

Attachments

• IMG_4040.JPG
    IMG_4040.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 898
  • IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_4042.jpg
    IMG_4042.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 894
Not looking good at all, the crank might not be useable at all, those gouges look really deep.
Who shipped it and crushed the carton like that? Um let me guess UPS?
Must have been super poor packaging too.

eeeek!!!:eek: I can't answer if I would use it or not but can add that my 64K mile motor looks factory fresh compared to what your showing pic's of.

Not looking good at all, the crank might not be useable at all, those gouges look really deep.
Who shipped it and crushed the carton like that? Um let me guess UPS?
Must have been super poor packaging too.

I think it was UPS... It was just laying out by the garage when I got home one day. IMHO it was not all the fault of the carrier. The packaging method was very poor. The rods/pistons were wrapped up in newspaper...which came off on some of the rods/pistons... and let them rub around on the crank. I am fairly certain the seller didn't ship this stuff to me looking like that..It might have not been an issue if the rods/psitons were packaged good. If I ever sell a crank, rods, or pistons.... I will learn from this and package it alot better.

I just hope I'm not out $290 :mad:

Wow !! The person that packaged that stuff needs HELP. Looks like a bunch of JUNK. Crank looks gone due to the deep gouges, pistons look all beat to hell (JUNK). About all you probably have are some $40- $50 stock rods. 40,000 miles ????? I don't think so!!!! As far as an insurance claim ?? Forget it. Once they see how it was packaged they'll turn it down in a heartbeat.
I damn near bought that stuff myself. Sorry you are the guy that has to deal with it. Make that clown give you your money back.:eek: :mad:

Wow !! The person that packaged that stuff needs HELP. Looks like a bunch of JUNK. Crank looks gone due to the deep gouges, pistons look all beat to hell (JUNK). About all you probably have are some $40- $50 stock rods. 40,000 miles ????? I don't think so!!!! As far as an insurance claim ?? Forget it. Once they see how it was packaged they'll turn it down in a heartbeat.
I damn near bought that stuff myself. Sorry you are the guy that has to deal with it. Make that clown give you your money back.:eek: :mad:

I have been very patient... because I bought a torque converter from him a year and a half ago... no problems.... it was sold to me as advertised.... so I felt since I already had some transaction history with him.....this one would go smooth as well. I just can't seem to get ahold of him. This has dragged out too far IMHO. He sent it to me back before Thanksgiving... I didn't open it for awhile.... because it is deer season.... and I work during the week... and go to deer camp on the weekends..... from the week before Thanksgiving until mid January..... that's just what I do.... so the car has sat over there motorless... I haven't touched it since before deer season started.... now I am bout to get back on it to get her back together. It wasn't until I spent some time around the house at Christmas that I looked the stuff over good and found it a mess.....That is when I tried to contact him....... email.... PM....reply to the original thread..... no luck.... I have been looking to see if he had any new posts..... as of a week or so ago.... no new posts recently.... but I did see him on the board one night.... he just didn't reply to any threads....and he has not sent me a read receipt on any of the PM's I specified to ask for a read receipt...:confused: :confused:

Shouldn't have opened the box. The carrier should be resposible if it was insured. The damage and condition of the parts look bad. Looks like you got taken on them...

Shouldn't have opened the box. The carrier should be resposible if it was insured. The damage and condition of the parts look bad. Looks like you got taken on them...

Probably not... but in hindsight.... the only dealings I have heard about...the carrier looked the packaging materials over real good....there is absolutely no way I could have sold him to the idea that it was packaged adequately........I think I would have been screwed either way.....

That crank is toast. As for the pistons, WTF!!! Ive never seen worse except for total catastrophic faliure. Thoes are really dirty. If you had to keep all the stuff, i would toss the crank, seperate the rods and pistons, take the rings off the pistons and glass bead the pistons, get new rings and check the rods to piston pin clearances. If you want i have a glass beader i can do thoes pistons for you no charge just pick up shipping. Sorry to see you got hosed.

That's interesting. I am told at the UPS store I used that if packaging is incorrect they will not honor the claim. I pay them to package my stuff I send out so if this ended up at this poor guys doorstep, they would have no choice to honor the claim.

I must say this is ridiculous and the guy who shipped this should refund his money back. Reminds me of a couple of cranks that was shipped to me several years back and I had to fight to get my $$ refunded.

Would not be cost effective to repair crank. you would be better off putting that money towards a aftermarket peice. save the rods and pistons. I would try to get money back if you can. I would not trust the person that sold them to you about the miles they said were on them. I had a 132,000 miles on my motor when i pulled it apart and it looked way better than these parts. what ever they came out of was not maintained. that really sucks that someone would sell something like this. good luck with this mess

did you ask for photos before buying? IF not Your bad!

BTW even after it arrived from UPS you can set a claim in motion.

Those pistons are junk. That engine ran lean and had a lot of blowby. The sides of the rings even look like $hit in your pics. Skirts aer nicked to hell and probably worn badly also. The crank will take a 10/10 cut and clean up just fine. You should be refunded most if not all of your cost on this crap.

did you ask for photos before buying? IF not Your bad!

BTW even after it arrived from UPS you can set a claim in motion.

Well... no.... because I bought a $600 vigilante 5 disk lockup converter from him last year... and all went fine. I figured since that transaction went ok..... I wasn't too worried about this one....

As far as UPS.... if they saw how this was packaged....the claim would have stopped there.......most was wrapped loosely with newspaper...there might have been a couple feet of bubble pack in there.....I'm not real sure if it was wrapped around anything... it was kinda loose when I openend the box....I have absolutely no inclination to believe that they would have honored anything after seeing how it was packed.... and that is the first thing the claims rep is going to ask for.

Sorry to see .......
"IF" you decide to use the pistons, better have them checked for cracks for two reasons;
1. Someone most likely lied about the mileage
2. Packaging was not where is needs to be and pistons could easily be cracked from handling.

Here is my $0.02 in relation to the picture request;
You purchased the parts based on experience and because you think that YOUR integrity is the same as the seller. Unfortunately, that is not the case. You (Blazer) would have never done this to the seller, but they did it to you. (Why would you deliberately screw another member, especially in this community.)

Just the mere fact that someone did not ask for pictures, does not give you the right to screw them, with the thought process of: “Well you did not ask for any pictures, so it is your problem”. :mad:

But wait ......... If you get an expert to state in writing that these could have never been 40K pistons, and the packaging did not meet the requirements for the goods, and you have documentation stating that you were told these were in fact in a usable condition", than, you have a case.

Sorry to see and good luck!