You can type here any text you want

It's that time, which aftermarket posi should I get?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Project TNX

I am not partial to Auburn or Eaton since I have never used either. My car will rarely go to the track, my end goal is ~425-475 hp, and it will be set up to handle as good as possible. I plan on putting upwards of 15,000 miles or so a year on it. First hand experiences would be appreciated, and any pros and cons you guys know about.

And if anyone knows the best place to get a good deal on one please let me know. If there are remanufactured stockers, or NIB stock ones, that would be ideal as well.

Thanks.

Auburn has done me well. I am in that HP range and have many 1.6s & 1.5s 60 foot times with no problems. Its been installed for about 10 years. Put in Mobil 1 lube with no additive and with no shatter or 1 leg break out. Hope this helps

Auburn has done me well. I am in that HP range and have many 1.6s & 1.5s 60 foot times with no problems. Its been installed for about 10 years. Put in Mobil 1 lube with no additive and with no shatter or 1 leg break out. Hope this helps

Well, that is certainly a sound endorsement. +1 for Auburn. :cool:

Why do you need a new one? If you have a stock one and it's slipping you can rebuild it by just putting in new clutches. If you have an open rear, well, ok :-). The cheaper Auburns didn't used to be rebuildable but I don't know if that has changed or not. I think the Auburn Pro can be rebuilt. I went with Eaton (just like the stock one) when I stepped up to 30 spline axles. So far it's great but only have maybe 500 miles on it. Course the original stocker would still spin both tires at the track with 272,000 on it :-).

Why do you need a new one? If you have a stock one and it's slipping you can rebuild it by just putting in new clutches. If you have an open rear, well, ok :-). The cheaper Auburns didn't used to be rebuildable but I don't know if that has changed or not. I think the Auburn Pro can be rebuilt. I went with Eaton (just like the stock one) when I stepped up to 30 spline axles. So far it's great but only have maybe 500 miles on it. Course the original stocker would still spin both tires at the track with 272,000 on it :-).

Peg leg, no choice, my sig and one tire turning would be a lethal combination. :tongue:

Auburn Pro and never look back! I've made about 30 passes on mine, and about 3,000 street miles with no problems, great traction, and quiet operation. Add 30 spline axles and rear end girdle for a pretty much bullet proof rear end that will handle timeslips into the 10's. I picked up a slightly used one (300 miles) off the board for $350 shipped, got new Moser axles, ring gear, and rear end girdle, installed by a pro shop for under $900....couldn't be happier, especially after exploding a factory peg leg at the track.

+1 ON Auburn

Auburn with 30 splines, leaves on the transbrake bouncing the front tires and still smooth and strong...

So Auburn Pro with the stock axles for now it is. :D

I'm SO over budget already it's not even funny.

the typical formula for budget on Turbo Buicks, as well as most other fun, collectible cars is as follows:

estimated cost of parts and services x 2, plus additional 15%, and that's probably about what you'll spend on it.

If you race at the track you will need c clip eliminators pretty soon, and the axles are the same price for 28 and 30 splines, and so is the posi, so you might as well blow the budget further and do them now :-). Otherwise you will be buying axles twice if you stay 28 spline or both twice if you go to 30.

Good formula, Tom.

If you race at the track you will need c clip eliminators pretty soon, and the axles are the same price for 28 and 30 splines, and so is the posi, so you might as well blow the budget further and do them now :-). Otherwise you will be buying axles twice if you stay 28 spline or both twice if you go to 30.

Good formula, Tom.

I'm not much of a dragger really, I usually just get on it from aroll to about 10-15 over the speed limit. Sometimes I wonder why I keep buying and building fast cars, I drive like a grandpa. :o

i have been running an Auburn and it like it so far.

But if you don't drive like a grandpa some of the time you don't appreciate the Buick nearly as much when you drive like a grandson :-).

Good formula, Tom.

Do the c-clip eliminators still cause leaks?

Back