You can type here any text you want

just bought stage II heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eckoteam687

i just bought stage 2 heads for my 3.8 production engine
i need to know who makes the cam,intake,and headers that i need also tell me what you guys are using and what you think about it

Stage what?

Sorry, but those heads are not intended to be put on that block.
1. The intake/exh valve layout is different.
2. The block has no provisions for the added headbolts.
3. The flow on the head FAR out runs the size of the engine.
4. The valves are too large to clear the sides of the bore.
5. The engine w/ those heads will not fit into a stock engine bay.
[The heater/AC must be modified or removed.]
6. The intake will have to be either a aftermkt sheetmetal or a modified 4bbl intake.

You can get a cam that will work. Comp Cams.
The 4bbl intake can be made in a machine shop.
The headers can be bought from ATR.

What I think??
Do yourself a favor and buy a set of T/A heads when they come out, or a set of currently available Champions.

You don't mention what the goal are but, if this is a SERIOUS race only project, it's just not practical. You will have to spend your kid's inheritance to get it to run and [maybe] stay together..
If it's a street project... FORGET it! Spend your money elsewhere!
;)

I suggest you do ALOT of reading on the receipes on GNTTYPE.org and find a level you are comfortable with, and proceed from there.

Lastly, If you can, return the heads, and sit on the bucks til you have a decision made...

BTDT!!:D :D

Back under my rock....

Chucks right,
Most guys with StageII blocks dont even run those heads. I have never heard of anyone using them on a production block. Depending on the casting they could fit the smaller 3.80" bore, Indy cars ran them w/t big valves. Hope you didnt pay too much for them. Production heads can flow enough to break a production block, those heads you got will Laugh at the bottom end. Remember to stock up on kitty litter.

Frank

Is this the anti Stage II tech area?

I have used S2 heads on a 3.830 bore stock block (about 14 years ago) without any problems, and the Buick Power Source manual states "they can be installed on production blocks for limited performance applications". The good thing about Stage II heads is you will never run out of head! We all start out wanting to run 10's but I'm sure you can all agree that number gets lower over the years:D I will say, don't use valves larger than 2.02/1.60 on that small bore block and don't port the heads untill you get a S2 block...

Satge II heads on a "109" block??

I've never heard of anyone trying that before.:confused:

Cog: How did the car run?

Keith

I don't remember the block casting number (not 109), but the block came from a 1979 Monte Carlo. My combo was- S2 iron heads bowl blended, 029 intake with a divider, Holley 650dp carb, 200hp Nos fogger, sag 4 speed, in a 1985 Mustang body. It was a 5.0 killer and I never had a failure, but tossed that short block years ago for the full S2 setup in my signature.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Re: Is this the anti Stage II tech area?

Yeah, Cogdrive, sometimes I get that feeling too.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by stage274
can you run the stock intake if you go with the s2 heads on a stock block.

Nope. Completely different. It's got nothing to do with stock or stage blocks.
Go to gnttype.org and look at the photo guides.

Back