Kirban Radiator Core Support Bushing/Bolt Kit Install

tnt6

Hoping someone who has replaced their radiator core support bushings/hardware using the kit Kirban sells can help me out.

Car is going back together after a frame off and I decided to replace ALL the body bushings including the ones for the radiator core support using the ones Kirban sells.

All the body bushings went in without a problem and now I am trying to mount the rad core support and can't seem to get the Kirban kit bolts to tighten up enough to make the support ridgid and stand up straight. It seems as though the bolts don't have enough thread on them to allow the nuts to be drawn down tight.

If anyone has used this kit with success could chime in and let me know how they made out that would be appreciated.

Also I can't find the stock bushings hardware to compare(of course)

There are no fenders on the car right now just want the support on the front...

My other thought was maybe these bushings/hardware don"t need to get tightened any more as the fenders will anchor it..any thoughts?

Do you have all the original shims in place? There is usually a pretty large stack of shims under the core support. Long enough to need longer bolts vs the normal body bolts.

And no, the core support needs to be tight, otherwise if it sifts you panel gap between your hood and fenders will be out of whack.

I do not....took the car apart 3 years ago and thought I did a good job bagging all the hardware, however this one bag seems to have disappeared..thanks for the reply...will have to check one thats together to get a rough idea

Done mine a few weeks ago, no shims were present, original bushings were replaced. Installed Kirbans kit and they barely tightened down. Ran out of thread, but they did "squish" some.

Heres a pic.

Attachments

• 1442263623771.jpg
    1442263623771.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 210
thanks for the picture...did you re use a washer on that bushing that the nut is tightened down onto? and just to be clear that is the larger of the two bushings with the smaller one on top of the frame but under the rad cradle?

I used the washers (2) in the kit for the bolt head to frame. You could use an extra washer up top if you wanted to. The upper bushing is metal on top. Wouldn't hurt. Yes smaller goes in between the frame and support. Large on top cups over the small.

Attachments

• 1442273102886.jpg
    1442273102886.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 1442273114983.jpg
    1442273114983.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 173
Looks like I have my issue sorted out....one of the rad support bushing holes had some rust invasion crating a hole that was too big for the bushing..allowing it to be pulled through upon tightening.....soooo out comes the welder and onward.

Special thanks for those that took the time out of their day to