knock from engine...a mystery so far!!

1985GN

Breaking parts
ok guys i have been trying to figure out this knock noise on my engind but im at a lost. here is the story. a long time ago you caould hear a slight what sounded like a valve tap. it went on for that like months with no probs. the other day i put oin my turbo and stuff when iu started thje car i noticed the noise was knocking louder. now that noise makes no difference wether it is cold or hot its the same either way. it sounds like it comeing from the bottom of the engine and its def. on the passenger side. i have pulled off spark plug wires to see if the noise changes and no change. i have checked the oil and dipstick under fine light and no metal. i have great oil pressure. i took the valve cover off today on teh passenger side and there was nothing loose. the one thing i found weird was when i drive the car up on car ramps the nosie went away and was quiet until i went in the car and gave it a few revs hten it came back. sounds like maybe something hitting something. the nosie goes up with rpm.s but you cant really hear it as much over 2200 rpms. i looked around the belt system to see if anything was hitting but i did not see anyting. its not coming from teh cam sensor either i have been putting a pipe up to everyting to hear. if anything its coming from the bottom area on the passenger side by the oil filter. any ideas on what to try next without dropping the pan would be nince, thanks

Have you checked the clearance between the downpipe and the bottom of the ac/heater box. I have seen this rattle and when you put the car up on a rack it unloads the suspension enough to clear and just the opposite when you drive the car up on ramps, it loads the suspension enough to clear. Also check your cross over pipe.

My 2cents

ok now things are starting to make sense. the noise is coming from the passenger side, wehre the downpipe happens to be. it got louder after my turbo install, where the downppe happen to be moved around alot to line it al up. i think im gonna go tkae a look at the DP and crossover i thinik that may be the solution, thanks

Also check for a cracked header/exhaust leak. They can sometimes sound exactly like a lifter tap.

Also worth checking is the cam sensor and oil pump gears. Keep us posted and good luck.

ok i chekced out hte exhaust real fast and i didnt see anything hitting anywehre. ill have to put it up in the air to check it out better. as for checking out the gears on the cam sensor and oil pump how do i go about doing that? the noise is not coming from the cam sensor though. and no exhaust leack new header on DS and everything else is tight. thanks

Is there a double roller timing chain on the car? They do have a tendency to stretch & they will make noise once they do.

You might check your torque converter bolts. My car had a knock that sounded just like a rod. I tightened up the finger tight converter bolts then no knock.

Good luck!