Larger Brake Cylinders / Shoes

QuickWrench

Don't Read This
What application (Year/Make) do the larger wheel cylinders and longer brake shoes come from?

Thanks in advance...

1985 Chevy S10 pickup truck manual trans. rear wheel cylinders are 7/8" I.D., while the stockers are 3/4" I.D.

I don't remember where the shoes come from. HTH

The longer shoes will help your TR hold more boost if you don't have a jumper-style system. Expect to be able to hold another pound, MAYBE two. No more. The most significant part of the gains you'll see in the rear brakes' ability to hold boost is in the actual replacement of the pads with a softer-compound set.

One point to take note of that I haven't seen much mention on these forums is that by using the longer shoes from two sets, the factory self-adjusters are placed at a non-stock angle, and may not adjust themselves properly. You'll need to check them periodically, depending on how much you drive the car.

My favorite part of buying two sets of rear brakes at the autoparts store is when the counter guy asks "why two?"

Me: "I only use the the long ones and bring the rest back as cores"

Counter guy: "But then you will have 4 short ones...We can't take a box of 4 short ones"

Then you open the box up and show the counter guy, the long ones are the same as the short ones, only the pad is different.
And counter guy becomes a TR brake expert.

Orrrr...

You mumble under your breath "I guess you are going to have to call every Autozone in the metroplex and warn them I'm coming" as you wave goodbye.

UNGN,

Now that's funny.

I read somewhere on this board once that someone has claimed that they ran into problems with their powermaster system after the change to the S10 WC.

Is there any fact to this? The powermaster system is not something that I want to replace due to this upgrade.

If you make it a habit of running Hard Ass 70,000 mile Mileagemaster 215/65's pumped up to 36 psi and drive in the rain, you can run into problems with premature lockup with the 7/8" cylinders.

If you run 245/60's or bigger in back and your powermaster is like everybody elses powermaster, you will likely never lock up the back tires. I've done many panic stops (trying to make the first return road) with my T and the front tires have always locked up first, even with enough brakes for 12 psi launches.