launching w/ alky and 2 step

silverT_PA

Put my new alky kit on and it works great! Thanks for the help Razor!!!
I just added the 2 step and the car will not launch cleanly. The 2 step is set at 2650 cut in but the boost climbs to 9 lbs. when i release the foot brake the car stumbles for a few feet the clears up. The alky is set as it came from Razor and the knob on 6. It feels like its over fueling at the line ? Anybody else have this problem? Should I move the initial turn on higher? Any and all help would be appreciated.
Mike S

Did you hook up the violet wire on the PAC controller to go to ground when the 2 step is on? It will limit how much alcohol is going in. See instructions with the kit.

I was getting a little rich too but made a couple adjustments. Inside the PAC controller I turned the initial to about 11 o'clock. This will have a little less alky coming in initially. You may have to turn the knob up a little, say halfway to 7 or more from your current 6. I also removed a lot of 1st gear fuel through the TurboTweak chip, but I don't know what chip you are using. I like keeping the alky kit always on to make sure I don't get any transitional knock on the launch. If you spool quick you're gonna need that alky to come in fast once you let off the brake.

Moving the turn on point later can help too, but that may hurt transitional knock for street driving so you'd have to remember to move it back to where it was after you left the track. The settings for track use and street use don't always work together. Best is to try and blend the two together without sacrificing one too much over the other. I hate switching back and forth and if I forgot to change some settings it could do quick damage on the street.

2step

I am also using a TT alky chip.
Will have to go back and review the instructions about the wire. Thanks

Bottom line is you can't be on the 2step and spray alcohol.

2 ways around it. Move your turnon higher(clockwise) or disable the green wire using a relay while the 2 step is activated.

An update to my technique of launching with alky and the 2step....

I am running a dual nozzle setup and have the main knob set pretty high so that a lot of alky comes in on my Red T. Having the initial set to 11 o'clock inside the PAC controller, I was still having too much alky coming in on the street. Would probably be worse at the track on high boost launches. So I set the initial down to about 9 o'clock and the main knob set close to max. With a normal TuboTweak alky chip, I get no knock on the street and the transition seems to be smooth with how the alky comes in. An added benefit is that I use a lot less alky on the street. I don't run a lot of timing so that probably helps prevent some transitional knock on the street since I have so little alky coming in down low. With a smaller insta boost turbo like a stocker with a single nozzle, I don't think you get away with this low of an initial setting.

I had a track rental at ATCO on Tuesday and made many passes in my Red T, every launch off a transbrake with the Bob Bailey 2 step and the above alky settings. Not a single hitch all day. I started out launching soft on Nittos and then went to slicks, launching harder throughout the day. At the end I had the 2 step launch set to 4400rpm with a 500rpm partial stutter. Good for a 1.51 60ft. This was with my passenger side header having a blown out gasket and my driver side header leaking too. Also running a standard TurboTweak alky chip that has the timing delay down low.

So, no problems here launching on the 2 step with the alky turned on although I did have to decrease the amount of alky coming in down low.

2-step

I have not been back to the track yet. I thank every one for the tips. I hope to go to Beaversprings drag strip in central PA next weekend for their final test and tune of the year. Murphster I will keep in mind some of the things you tried when I am there.
Thanks again for every ones help,I will post up with results after I make some passes.
Mike

Does the Bailey 2 Step kill fuel at the set rpm limiter?

I thought lowering the initial meant it comes in earlier, then setting the knob higher means less alky down low when it's triggered?

If 2 Step kills fuel to keep rev limit and you're getting alky within launch rpm this is a head gasket masked murderer.

Does the Bailey 2 Step kill fuel at the set rpm limiter?

I thought lowering the initial meant it comes in earlier, then setting the knob higher means less alky down low when it's triggered?

If 2 Step kills fuel to keep rev limit and you're getting alky within launch rpm this is a head gasket masked murderer.

The 2 step cuts ignition, like Eric said. A rev limiter built into a chip kills only fuel and is bad for alky like you described.

Lowering the "turn on" dial in the PAC will make the alky come on at a lower boost. The "initial" is how much alky comes on initially at the turn on point. Combining the "initial" with the main gain knob you are controlling the ramp of the alky from turn-on boost to peak boost/max alky.

I made some graphs to show my best estimate of how it works based on my readings from an alky kit tester and Razor's explanations in the "Tuning the Alkycontrol kit" sticky. My example shows a setup with a 10lbs boost turn on point and an alky pump with a max pressure of 150psi (the actual default initial alky pressure is lower than my example). Hopefully others can use this as a reference.

A few notes.... A couple graphs I didn't make which should be fairly obvious: raising the turn on point would shift the ramp right and lowering the gain knob would reduce the slope of the ramp. From these graphs you should be able to guess what the ramps would look like for any of the combinations.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 382
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 376
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 379
More graphs.

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 362
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 369
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 369
2step

Our track cancalled the last week of racing. Might try to go down to Atco next weekend.
Murphster, will you be at Atco for the buick/ford shootout?
Mike