Launching with Drag radials

Chuck

Guys,

I'm trying to get some good 60ft times with my Nitto DR's and was wondering how most people launch with them. Such as, do you hold a few pounds of boost and feather the gas a feet then mash it or just mash it from a dead stop. So far, the feathering the gas a second or two seems to work best for me with consistent 1.8's and a few 1.7's. 3-5 pounds of boost is the most I can hold on the line without spinning the tires.

Build the 3 to 5 lb boost your brakes can hold, mash the throttle all the way, and release brake about simultaneously. If you don't have a line lock, that will help keep your rear brakes cooler during the burnout, and you can then launch will more boost since they will hold more. Otherwise with DRs (I use BFGs), I do a really small burnout, just really cleaning them off, hardly any smoke.

Here is some more info:
DR Launch

I have found my 275/50 Nittos work best when I do a light burnout (light for me anyway). I leave the shifter in second and get the tires spinning, let the car shift to second, and right after it does rollout with the tires spinning. Stop, neutral, rev engine to clear it out, and stage. I can hold an easy 5 psi and probably more but 5 is easy. I am able to get 1.70's using this method. Mine are on an 8" wheel and at about 20 psi and a stock turbo. Can't complain, my slicks never did that.

I have 275/50/15's too, and I do a light burnout on mine. I hold my brake till I get my rpms to about 3500, right as the third light goes off I mash it then let go of the brake. Works well for me, i run a 1.81 60' time. I have a pretty bad spin on my 1-2 shift, kicks my backend about 10 degrees to the right.