Lazy Headlight

iwantatta

So i've got the repair kit from Top Down solutions to repair the motor for my headlight which is getting lazy to come up (the drivers side). I've looked at the instructions and wanted to get an idea of how long or how difficult it is to repair the motor. Or if there are any tricks i should be aware before taking everything apart. So how long would something like this take to do?

Also, is it bad for me to continue using the lights until it stops coming up completely? I'm guessing there is some kind of manual way to bring the headlights up?

I have never fixed the headlights on a TTA, but I have done it on a number of C4 Corvettes and it's not hard at all. The kit probably contains the 3 nylon bushings - it's just a matter of installing them (the old ones are probably nothing more than dust inside the motor). Take your time and follow the instructions - should take you about an hour or so the first time. Once you know what you're doing, 30 min. You shouldn't have any problems.

I wouldn't think that it would be bad to continue to use the lights. The bad one will probably work inconsisntenly. Yes, there is a manual override next to the headlight motor - its a round dial that you turn and you will slowly see the headlight open / close.

Chris
--------
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 - 1,982 miles!
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 5-speed
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary
1983 Delorean
1986 Toyota Supra
1986 Ford Mustang SVO
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top / 5-speed
2006 Pontiac GTO - wife's daily!
"Yeah I love the '80s!"

They are the same but yet a lil different animal that the 4the gen stuff.
It wont take long 2do.. pay attention to all the small parts, shims, a small bearing on the tip of the shaft of one of the motors, clean out all the nasty crumbled old plastic and take your time with the motor brushes.

I fixed mine on the Fiero...haven't done the TTA yet but they need it. A little tip...you don't need to buy the kit...if you go to Home Depot and look in the hardware section for nylon bushings you will find the correct size you need for about a $1.00 ;) I don't remember the diameter off hand but I believe the length is 1/4"...they have then in various diameters 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2", etc. get the correct one and they work just fine. I believe there is 3 per headlight motor. I suggest taking one apart and see if you have one that hasn't turned to crumbs yet and use it to verify the size you need. :cool:

Well, got the job done this weekend. Was a little more of a pain than i was hoping but did get it done. Like someone mentioned pay attention to the little things (shims and springs especially when you open the motor.) Putting the motor back together with the springs compressed was a little tricky also. Used the paperclip method per the instructions. But had a few mishaps with the springs flying and being difficult to find.

The thing that got me was the screws to open the motor. Instructions mentioned that they could break and to use something to loosen it up. I used PB Blaster and it still broke. Trying to get the broken screw out was a witch and i just gave up and drilled a bigger hole than the screw. The screw looked like it had fused to the metal from corrosion. It wasn't going to come out. I tried drilling with a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw before breaking 2 bits and giving up. It would have probably been easier if i had a vise and a drill press to get it out but i didn't.

Also, i can see removing the headlight assembly from the body of the car being a little difficult if you have big hands and arms. There are 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the body. 2 of them on the bottom which are difficult to see have the nuts on the bottom side. All you will see is the screw sticking up. So you have to squeeze your arm into and through the headlight assembly and reach underneath. I was going to see if i could just remove the motor without removing the headlight assembly but eventually got the screws outs.

And it was just like everyone said, the bushings were crumbled when i opened the motor. Replacing them did fix my problem. Still haven't done the passenger side but those are okay right now. Save those for another day. Thanks for the help guys!