Left head won't prime with oil

We pumped with rockers off and got oil up all 6 pushrods on passenger side so now I’m even more confused. It wasn’t a LOT of oil but some. As mentioned here are pics of what I found in oil and filter.View attachment View attachment View attachment the blue towel has stuff that passed through paint strainer but was trapped in oil filter.

I have borrowed a boroscope (thanks Billy Brooks) so if anyone has suggestions...about the engine problem only;) let me know what to look for.

Dont bother with connecting the oil galleys at the back of the block, BAD IDEA.
If theres no groove in the #1 cam journal, groove it yourself, and use a stock cam bearing, OR use TA's back grooved cam bearings.
I have spraywelded EVERY Buick cam journal groove closed, that groove IS THE DUMBEST THING!

Also dont expect a bunch of oil pumped to the top of a Buick just from turning the oil pump

Dont bother with connecting the oil galleys at the back of the block, BAD IDEA.
If theres no groove in the #1 cam journal, groove it yourself, and use a stock cam bearing, OR use TA's back grooved cam bearings.
I have spraywelded EVERY Buick cam journal groove closed, that groove IS THE DUMBEST THING!
I appreciate your comments Mark. It's a 109 and has oil to the driver side so I believe that confirms the groove? I'm using stock cam bearings drilled smaller per power source manual. I'm confused by what spraywelding the groove does for your builds?
I have to figure out if I've got enough oil pressure and volume everywhere, if I've hurt something, if it has to come out...why it seems like one of the #6 johnson hydraulic roller lifters don't appear to be dripping much oil up through the rockers (less than the other 5 sets, a lot less than driver side), something is making a noise setting off my knock detector which using stethoscope seems to be coming from #6.
I'm snooping around with boroscope in the cam sensor and fuel pump ports of the front cover, but not sure what I'm looking for or how to get there with the scope. First time using one and not easy to steer it, kind of like taking a trip without a map or steering wheel.

I'm confused by what spraywelding the groove does for your builds?
Spraywelding that groove then machining back to size allows the full surface of the cam bearing journal to be utilized for load bearing as opposed to two skinny "rails" that eventually dig into the bearing.
Another benefit, it lessens oil hemorrhaging without that groove trying to transfer oil AND oil the bearing.
When I rebuilt my 87 GN 50 years ago (seems that long lol) I had the machine shop sprayweld the groove on the cams, and the current PTE Billet roller in the car now.
Buick realized they made a mistake by grooving the cam and using the groove to transfer oil, so they grooved the #1 cam bearing bore to transfer oil as it should be.
Replacement cams all have the groove incase you use the cam in an early block.
I started doing this mod on the Buick 350 V8's. my machine shop now does this to all Buick builds, and it seems its caught on.
If you think about it, using a rotating shaft with a groove to transfer oil, its stupid, oil enters the groove under pressure, theres maybe .003 bearing clearance for the oil to hemorrhage out 360 degrees from a spinning shaft, THEN you have to convince that oil to go up a dark scary hole and down a dark tunnel to oil the lifters, not very efficient at all.

Last edited:
I’ve put it back together and started it up with swapped rockers. I took a couple videos but can’t post them. Can you send phone number so I can send direct to your phone? Mine is 716-535-0640
Seems there is about 1/3 the oil on passenger side compared to driver. This was a cold start. Hard to tell it the noise at 2000 rpm is same as before.

I’ve put it back together and started it up with swapped rockers. I took a couple videos but can’t post them. Can you send phone number so I can send direct to your phone? Mine is 716-535-0640
Seems there is about 1/3 the oil on passenger side compared to driver. This was a cold start. Hard to tell it the noise at 2000 rpm is same as before.
Just thinking of the oil path, With what dirt the filter was catching if the oil pump bypass ever opened the passenger side bank is the first to get dirty oil. Are the new Johnson lifters full of crud now and reducing your oil flow to that bank?

Just thinking of the oil path, With what dirt the filter was catching if the oil pump bypass ever opened the passenger side bank is the first to get dirty oil. Are the new Johnson lifters full of crud now and reducing your oil flow to that bank?
Makes sense. Looks like I'm pulling the manifold to check it out. Thanks