Lifts

Bent6

The Vanilla Gowilla
Anyone got a lift in their home garage/shop? I've been contemplating getting one for several years now. I have looked at both 4-post and 2-post versions. Both have their pros and cons.

4-Post Pros - movable, can be used as a storage lift
Cons - not ideal for wheel/tire service
limited access under car due to ramps

2-Post Pros - Wheel/tire service
Free and clear under car
Cons - No good for storage or stacking 2 cars
Once it's installed it's not movable

I have a 1200 sq/ft shop behind my house. With 4 cars, tools, equipment, etc it can get a little cluttered back there. A lift or even 2 lifts would be a heckuva lot cheaper than expanding the shop. The 4-post lifts are appealing due to the fact I could stack 2 cars and free up some floor space but they don't seem that great for changing trannys, etc. Any opinions?

A four post lift on one side and a two post lift on the other side. Can't go wrong then :biggrin:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Don't think I haven't already thought about that! :biggrin: It's just that the 2 posts I've looked at are 138" wide minimum - afraid that might take up a little more room than I want.

I have a Rotary two post assymetrical that has a 7,000 pound capacity and love it. I can open the doors, easy access underneath and it's the best money I ever spent.

I've looked at a Bend-Pak 9k# assymetrical 2 post - I like the idea of being able to open the doors.

why can't ya do trannys on a 4 post ?? :confused: those ramps do spread apart :p I have an air jack on mine to.. trannys , brakes you name it we have done it . I am to lazy for a 2 post..:biggrin:

why can't ya do trannys on a 4 post ?? :confused: those ramps do spread apart :p I have an air jack on mine to.. trannys , brakes you name it we have done it . I am to lazy for a 2 post..:biggrin:

I'm not saying you can't - just not ideal. It's got to be a bigger PITA to have to get the car on the lift, position jacks to get it off the ground, etc. Do you use a jack bridge with a separate air jack or do you have one of those fancy rolling air jacks that fit into the lift rails?

:biggrin: works awesome BUT they are pricey :eek:

Your not kidding! I could just buy another lift for the price of a couple of those things. :eek: They do look sweet however. Do you have just one or two to get the car completely up off the lift?

mine is a 4 post "Forward" 12,000#s .. ya its wayyyy over what ya need :eek: It is the Mazda's home inside for the winter :cool:

Attachments

• Mazda lift.jpg
    Mazda lift.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 323
I have an assymetrical 10,000 2 post and love it, but need more storage so I just got a 7,000 4 post that has casters so I can move it around if I need to.

This is about what I have. Mine came from a GM dealership. Store my wife's 442 under the GN when I have another inside to work on. I have 1200sq.ft. garage also and I would HATE to not have my lift anymore. I didn't want a 4 post for the legs at each corner make it hard to manuver around when a car is on it and you have to maybe bring another in. My two post gives me more room. :)

I have a Rotary two post assymetrical that has a 7,000 pound capacity and love it. I can open the doors, easy access underneath and it's the best money I ever spent.