Limited 6L LS Conversion

Thanks for the info. I kept the cam small because I'm trying to keep this one a sleeper. I didn't want it to have a hard hitting cam. I have two white 87 Turbo T's. The V6 car still has the stock longblock in it and has been low 11s. I'd like for this one to sound stock and go some high 9's. The next engine will have a much more aggressive solid roller cam, and forged pistons, forged rods, etc... I may experiment with a 4 bbl throttle body mounted directly to the intake though.

how do you expect 9s from this combo? you putting boost to it? if so then yea wouldnt go to large on cam

I actually got some stuff done today. I hope to make some noise next week! I bolted the headers on. Finished the fuel system plumbing. Mounted the throttle cable bracket. I'm half finished with the wiring and now I'm completely worn out! A few things are gonna be tricky. I rotated the radiator outlet on the water pump, then heated it and bent it downward another 20 degrees or so. I'm still now completely happy with it though. I may just weld a short bung to the water pump and get a 90 degree hose end. The turbo oil drain hose barely fits behind the AC bracket and it goes horizontal for 5" before draining into the pan. I'm not sure if that's gonna cause a problem. Finally, the hose from the thermostat housing is gonna be close to the hotside pipe. I'll try to take some pics of that in the next day or two. Quik, I hope to put just enough boost to run a 9.99, but not so much that I become a member of the DOTC Club!
004-1-1.jpg

003-1-2.jpg

002-1-1.jpg

I also noticed that the intake rocker screws extended into the top of the intake runners by approx 0.300". I cut all of them in a lathe and reinstalled them with a dab of silicon.

This is confusing me... is this not going to be a problem? is boost/vac not going to leak past the 'silicone' at some point? :confused: or am I an idiot? quite possible... :redface:

The rocker arm bolts protrude into the intake runners on bone stock heads, but since my heads have been ported, the bolts stick further into the port than normal. I just cut the tip of the bolts off. There's still plenty of threads left to properly seal the runners. The silicone was just added insurance.

ok then my cam specs are off. i didnt realize you were going turbo since i seen the headers. im curious to what your doing for routing

as for your tstat neck. look at CSR actually going to ls1speed.com aka speed Inc on their site they show a neck i use. its a CSR neck and it points straight instead of being sloped like the stocker is

also what size turbo is that? looks to be a turbonectics tc76 which is a good combo on a 364 motor for a fast spool but will choke up some once fully cranked. a 3700 and tc76 on a 4900lb truck has went 10.3@126 to give you an example on 18-20 psi on 93 octane alone

if that turbo is smaller then a 76mm then its going to really choke up on that 6litre

Thanks for the advice again Quik. That CSR housing looks like it'll be perfect for my application! It's just a TC70 on the junkyard motor. If it's not enough for the 9.99, then I've got a 10 lb bottle in the trunk to help. If that's not enough, then I'll just throw the old V6 back in there. I know that it'll do it! LOL
Seriously though, I may upgrade to a TC78 pretty soon...maybe this fall. I'll drop in a forged bottom end along with it.
Do you know what people are doing for two steps on LS engines with XFI systems?
TIA!

Thanks for the advice again Quik. That CSR housing looks like it'll be perfect for my application! It's just a TC70 on the junkyard motor. If it's not enough for the 9.99, then I've got a 10 lb bottle in the trunk to help. If that's not enough, then I'll just throw the old V6 back in there. I know that it'll do it! LOL
Seriously though, I may upgrade to a TC78 pretty soon...maybe this fall. I'll drop in a forged bottom end along with it.
Do you know what people are doing for two steps on LS engines with XFI systems?
TIA!

not sure how that xfi works since the stock pcm is plenty however LPE as in ligenfelter has a 2 step they sell for 250 i think. i have one and has nothing to do with pcm. its a hook up in a matter of 5 minutes. what it does is plug inline with the coil packs. one for each side. then you either do a ground source or a 12v source to trigger it.

i have a double switch on mine, one to turn it on and other to activate it along with a LED so i know when its working and not. i have so when im on the brake it grounds and now i have a rpm limter. whats nice also is you can set it up to retard timing as well,. take alook into that product

a tc70 is about the size turbo for a 5.3, it will work on a 6.0 however that cam you chose might not go hand to hand. as the power band for that cam will probably be around 6400. a 70mm on a 6.0 will start to choke up around 5800/6k. if you stick with a 70mm and the 6.0 then the LS6 cam would be better choice as it starts to drop off at 5500. if you had a 76mm on it now that should do it plenty.

also these internals are stouter then you realize if you do the proper precautions. My last setup did 700 and still had plenty left, my new setup i plan to shoot for 850 rwhp using an aluminum 6.0. if you can keep the motor cool as in 150*, keep IATs around ambiet and be smart with the AFR and timing it will last.

something to think about with these motors. on a set that is under 10 psi ill shoot for 11.8 afr and around 20*, with more boost say 18 psi id shoot for 11.3 with 15* timing on a 9.5cr motor with just 93 octane in the tank

also there isnt a need for race fuel untill youre up around the 850-900 rwhp mark with these stock motors. Some will use it prior but isnt needed and wasted money.

I've made some progress this week. Here's a couple of pics of the stock waterpump neck and the new one that we made today.
photo3-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

if that doesnt work out for you think of this. a 2010 LS3 camaro's water pump has its top port on the driverside of the motor instead of passengerside as in the older ones. This way its straight forward and closer to the top of the rad.

thing with using the car waterpump with truck accesories, is either have to space the pump out or have belt ride on edge of pulley

Thanks again Quik. I spent a lot of time with the family this weekend and didn't get much done to the car. I did install the throttle body gasket, the radiator, the upper radiator hose and the rest of the hot and cold pipes. I still need to install the fuel pump and fan relays and transmission lines and the lower radiator hose. Then it'll be time to fire it up and start tuning!
012-1.jpg

Looks good, it is finally winding down. So when you finish this one up when are you going to start on mine??? J/K unless you will do it!! LOL

Thanks again Quik. I spent a lot of time with the family this weekend and didn't get much done to the car. I did install the throttle body gasket, the radiator, the upper radiator hose and the rest of the hot and cold pipes. I still need to install the fuel pump and fan relays and transmission lines and the lower radiator hose. Then it'll be time to fire it up and start tuning!
012-1.jpg

i see you built that to look how GM built the GN motor, very clever

any pics of the hot side..very confused...went from headers towards rear to turbocharged ??

They headers just turn towards the front of the car and merge underneath the crossmember. It does drop the ground clearance to only 3.5", but it does clean up the engine compartment...and most importantly...gives me room for the AC compressor and lines!
003-1-3.jpg

Very nicely done. The undercar crossover certainly limits clearance but it looks very well done. I can understand the need for that design. I know one thing...im saving all these pics..may need to copy this one day.