You can type here any text you want

Liquid nitrogen on the intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Bison, if I understand what you are saying, an intercooler might cool well but can have higher pressure loss. Ultimately the pressure loss intercooler will effect performance more than one with less cooling but lower pressure loss? Can the difference in cooling be made up by alky injection? I've seen intercooler cores offered by a manufacturers with pressure loss numbers published. Are there any published numbers of pressure loss for TB specific intercoolers? What would you consider a good loss number?

Ive got plenty of data showing that maximizing the intercooler design nets huge gains. There are plenty of intercoolers on the market that will drop inlet temperatures close to ambient yet pick up little to no performance over others with less temperature drop. Also the ones that caused the most drop were a lot heavier. The ones with the big temp drop usually don't flow enough and cause large pressure drops. 3-4psj loss across a core is simply unacceptable when looking to maximize performance. Some are worse. Yes very little real time cooling. There's no way to get enough air over the core to remove the heat of the mass of the air flowing through it. Almost all the cooling effect is heat sinkage into the core mass of the core. Not heat exchanged to the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proper core design is a plus, that's a given. Add temp drop as well as pressure drop and you have the perfect storm. You can state what you want but the truth is that even at WTO air passing over an evaporator or [intercooler core in automotive terms] will reduce temps significantly. How much depends on the design.

When getting back to the pits and the cooler is sweating like a $2 whore in taiwan because of the heat that was removed during the pass and almost all the ice in the tank is melted and needs to be changed out for the next pass you have a system that flat out is doing what it was made for.

Just think of an AC system where the outside temp is 100* and the air coming out the vent is 60*. The temp difference is 40*. The temp differential depends on many things but for this debate I will stick to temp differential as that is what you are trying to achieve. You could also add in meth to further reduce temps.

Almost all the cooling effect is heat sinkage into the core mass of the core. Not heat exchanged to the air.

Wrong.

Hot air passing over a cold /er core will and does reduce air temps whether ATA or WTA period. The evaporator’s/intercoolers metal fins exchange the thermal energy with the air around it. If it didn't then the ac in your car wouldn't work either.

All I will say is that it is being done and your entitled to your opinion.

Bison, if I understand what you are saying, an intercooler might cool well but can have higher pressure loss. Ultimately the pressure loss intercooler will effect performance more than one with less cooling but lower pressure loss? Can the difference in cooling be made up by alky injection? I've seen intercooler cores offered by a manufacturers with pressure loss numbers published. Are there any published numbers of pressure loss for TB specific intercoolers? What would you consider a good loss number?

There's a lot of that info in this thread - http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/w...-reasons-have-you-made-this-selection.435142/

^^^This. We know what works and what doesn't and have the performance and data to back up our findings. I've got plenty of logs and data from some quick class racers. We didn't and won't post everything but pressure drop across the core is the biggest hamper in most instances. Hot boost psig, cold boost psig, exhaust psig, inlet temperature, outlet temperature. You can almost always get more temp drop by increasing the core size and mass though it doesn't always translate into performance. Sometimes performance goes backward when going "bigger"

So from all the reading I take it that you can cool the air to much.
No but you can cause huge flow restriction by using a poorly designed intercooler.

Are there any published numbers of pressure loss for TB specific intercoolers? What would you consider a good loss number?

That data would be fantastic.

I bet demand in a couple of intercoolers would skyrocket while others would plummet.

We would need a reputable and unbiased person doing the tests though.

D

Bison has the data for all out racers but he worked for that data. I dont blame him for not just passing it out. The real story for many TB nuts would be comparing numbers for and 11 to 10 second cars with both stock location and front mounts of all flavors. Which ones new would be the winners and which of the no longer available would be? Could something fabbed from available cores out there be just as good? I got my hunches but no data.

That data would be fantastic.

I bet demand in a couple of intercoolers would skyrocket while others would plummet.

We would need a reputable and unbiased person doing the tests though.

D
No it wouldn't. Most people won't pay for an intercooler if they already have once. Especially if it's more expensive. Prime example. I posted a video last week on a Facebook page showing a common failure point of a GM 3 bar MAP sensor. While I sold every SSI map sensor I had on hand in less than an hour it's likely only a couple % if that of the total number of viewers if only 500 that are still running the same junk map sensors with no plans to change it even though the risk of using it is high. The video has 2600 views up to today. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Real data will take care of any potential bias of the person reading the data has any brains at all. Even if the person testing was biased. Facts are facts. Knowing what data to look at is what really matters. It would be fairly easy to design an intercooler with close to ambient outlet temps. But when no pressure drop data at a given mass flow is given the number by itself is about useless. This is typical with most that are pushing their bigger/badder intercooler.

Fair enough.

Some of us, will drink the water when led to it though.

D

Fair enough.

Some of us, will drink the water when led to it though.

D

But the bigger question should be what kind of water are you drinking?

Rain water, mineral water, sparkling water, seltzer water, distilled water ... Or perhaps Flint contaminated water?? There are alot of different datasets collected.. But alot depends on what they were collected on .. I read some of these intercooler posts and just can't believe some of what i'm reading

Are we crossed?

What the hell is your problem?

D

RE-READ post 32 ... I don't think we're crossed .. just that some of the intercooler info posts in this thread . are just BS info and that was the point of my water comment .. my problem isn't at all with you ..

Looks like an attack to me.

Especially the Horse piss part.

D

Looks like an attack to me.

Especially the Horse piss part.

D

If you think its an attack on you then clearly my post went over your head ... perhaps instead of horse piss I should have used KOOLAID

Back