You can type here any text you want

locking up converters?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

streetdawg

Just A little history ; I have a rx7 sbc 2004r transmission. Don't know very much about these transmissions, I bought a level 10 3200 stall converter just wondering is it realy necessary to lock-up converter and also has anyone used a level 10 converter? thanks!!!

lock up is good for the highway. (better gas mileage) .. locking it up at the track should give some some mph (we gained 5 ) Level 10 has been around for a while BUT I don't think many Buick guys run their converters :cool:

I understand all the benfits just wondering would it hurt converter or transmission by not locking-up?

I read a post that said long cruises can overheat the tranny and fluid if the lock up is not used?

WIth a non lock converor /lu not being locked and a high stall application yes there is more heat being created.
Large cooler is a must.
Locking the conv at WFO will kill the TCC and trans if either is not built to handle it.

Locking the conv at WFO will kill the TCC and trans if either is not built to handle it.

been locking these stock trannys up since 1986. just a trans cooler . to this day a "switch" is still by side .. LU's are great even in the "built" trannys runny in the 9's :cool:

Ill agree with that Grumpy..... my stock d5 TCC died after 90k of locking at WOT, convertor still worked just the clutch was gone. Trans just had the typical worn stator due to it being the stock piece.But it was still in the mid 12's then too tho.

Just saying high horse stuff/fats stuff and locking at WOT make sure the trans and convertor is able to handle it.

Ill agree with that Grumpy..... my stock d5 TCC died after 90k of locking at WOT, convertor still worked just the clutch was gone.

these things took a beating for what they were!! they were really "hi tech" at the time :biggrin: ok time for breakfast

I believe Level 10 installes ProTorque converters. They're good converters and will probably hold up to locking up on a mildly built combo.

I snapped the nose off my forward drum in my Level 10 trans when it was about 3-years old (6k miles or so). Leaving a stoplight with drag radials - snapped on the 1-2 shift.

My advice would be to do what you need to do and if/when it breaks - fix it.

Jim

been locking these stock trannys up since 1986. just a trans cooler . to this day a "switch" is still by side .. LU's are great even in the "built" trannys runny in the 9's :cool:

Are you saying your running a lock still in the 9's?:eek:

Are you saying your running a lock still in the 9's?:eek:

helllll ya !!!! Converter/trans has to have 15k on it anyway .. NO other converter has gone buy it yet (138+ locked up) .. tryin a 9.5 from Dusty now.. we drive the car way to much to have no LU.. IF Dustys works we will leave it in from Sept to May for racing.. 9/11 goes back in for the summer and for what little racing we will do (don't race when its 90* :p ) :cool:

at 138+ locked up with a 9/11 how much slippage could you have? How much better can the 9.5 PTC non lockup do against a 9/11 locked?:confused:

Grumpy's car will be a great test.

The advantage is you don't have to worry about locking the converter, what may break or when it will break, less weight and all the billet parts aren't a necessity. The non lock will still multiply torque because it won't be locked.

The 9x11 has worked very well for Grumpy. We'll see how this works out very soon. I think they have a place in cars with large turbos and limited rpm ranges.

The only other head to head test was against a Precision Ind multi disc. My 9.5 n/l crossed the traps at only 50 more rpm at the same mph.

Grumpy's car will be a great test.

well Melissa and Russ have put almost a 1000 miles on it in the past few weeks :cool: Waitin for the track to get some "traction".. Just opened last weekend.. although it has been raining to :mad: .. so right now its a hurry up an wait :p

Back