You can type here any text you want

long block 3.8

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

williambavila

William Avila (The Buick Guy)
if you wanted a 3.8 for a 87 buick gn from who would you buy one? I am wanting a longblock that will run 10's and its for a daily driver..

RPE in Hartford CT

10 second motors are not cheap to build correctly. It can be done but it will not last. Don't try to build one on a budget, you will be sorry.

Bryan

stock 109 w/ good machine work
ported irons heads and stock intake
stock crank
billet mains
roller cam
62mm or bigger turbo
TT chip and either race gas or ALKY.
good intercooler
good tranny

pretty much sums it up. A nice set of trailing arms and airbags.
TUNE,TUNE,TUNE,...
My buddy just went low 11 and has a HORRIBLE 60' time. Will be 10's as soon as we get that fixed.

:biggrin:

I heard it's cheaper to build a 9 sec motor:D

Technically you are correct...after you break your first 10 second motor and build it again, you will only want to build a 9 second motor once, the right way.

Bryan

what are some 9/10 second engine build up combinations built the right way that the stock 109 with a good engine builder would be lacking? i ask because im building a motor in the fall and want to get it right. thanks

here is Melissa's combo from 2007 .. 9.9@138+ street trim .. pump gas an alky. Motor has about 20k on it now.. Taking it apart next month an checkin it out ..then it goes in the RX7 :cool:

RJC girdle
ARP hardware
109 stock block
Diamond .020 pistons
stock crank cut 20/20
stock rods
SFI balancer and flexplate from Mike@Full Throttle
212/212 Comp roller cam
Champion STEEL ported heads
Cometic Headgaskets (NO they don't leak )
Champion ported stock intake
RJC power plate
stock plenum
stock TB bored to 62mm
stock crappy factory headers and crossover
3" down pipe to a dual 3" exhaust (we run threw the exhaust)
Dequick V4 stock location intercooler
67 DBB Precision Turbo
RJC boost valve
60# inj
TURBO TWEAK CHIP
LS1 MAF and reg Translator from Mike @ Full Throttle
Russ Merritt plug wires
stock ign and coil pack
single pump in tank / hot wire
ALKY DUAL NOZZLE set up from Julio
200R4

Simple set up that has takin a beating !! NO KNOCK and it will live .. Knock ??!! you will be picking up pieces very quickly at that power level. :p
With all the new stuff now I'd do a stroker motor :biggrin:

Cool been thinking bout getting one, guess since a GURU like you uses it it has to be good.

I recently installed a Weber built longblock a few months back. So far I'm very pleased with the engine. We logged a 300 miles on it last Saturday in the 98 degree heat.

here is Melissa's combo from 2007 .. 9.9@138+ street trim .. pump gas an alky.

Grumpy,

If you don't mind how much boost and timing was on that run? What CR does it have? :redface: IF I ever lean on my combo HARD, that is what I would like to run.:cool:

Yes Grumpy how much boost? I know it wasn't 24psi. Haha. Its been a few years now!! Come off with a little secret info!!!

Combo

I should have known better. That is like asking the Colonel for the 12 secret herbs and spices.;) I will figure it out with time.

87WE4BOOSTED, what turbo are you running with that Weber built motor? And how do you like it? I'm trying to decide which turbo to step up to in the future.

i have purchased one from thessman it seems to be great and very strong running have about 100 miles on it and am very happy.

I should have known better. That is like asking the Colonel for the 12 secret herbs and spices.;) I will figure it out with time.

hahahaha.. nah I don't live on the Buick sites like I use to .. relaxing on a boat with the dogs.. Oh the dogs like cars to but right now in the hot season they want to chill in the water :p Really forget what she had for timing.. come on !! That was 3 years ago !! Boost was TSM boost :biggrin:...
Combo's are all different so performance will vary . as far as tuning TT chips only have so many settings. This is not Rocket Science .. TRY different settings !! Of course EVERYTHING else better be up to taking a beating .. Oh NO KNOCK :cool:

Attachments

• Mem Day swim Sherpa Hunter.jpg
    Mem Day swim Sherpa Hunter.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 165
87WE4BOOSTED, what turbo are you running with that Weber built motor? And how do you like it? I'm trying to decide which turbo to step up to in the future.

Hey BadV6,

I have not recieved my motor yet. Bill (WRE) told me it should be leaving their building sometime this week. :biggrin: As far as the Turbo, I have not picked it up yet but I will be running the Billet 6765 JB. I think any thing 66mm & up should do us justice. ;)

hahahaha.. nah I don't live on the Buick sites like I use to .. relaxing on a boat with the dogs.. Oh the dogs like cars to but right now in the hot season they want to chill in the water :p Really forget what she had for timing.. come on !! That was 3 years ago !! Boost was TSM boost :biggrin:...
Combo's are all different so performance will vary . as far as tuning TT chips only have so many settings. This is not Rocket Science .. TRY different settings !! Of course EVERYTHING else better be up to taking a beating .. Oh NO KNOCK :cool:

Hey Grumpy, I'm glad you caught the humor in that. :p I will be using a TT chip as well, so I'm sure I will find that sweet spot. It may take me a few seasons but I'm sure I will find it. :rolleyes:

You have some beautiful dogs as well..:cool:

Back