You can type here any text you want

Long Delayed 1st gear change

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cutluse231

:(
?`s about 200r4 VS 400
As you guys can tell by my signature I currently have a 200R4 behind my 455 in my 82 Regal.
What Im experincing is what seems to be excessive and long time to shift out of 1st gear.
When It does shift it either hits hard or you have to feather the gas to get it to change gears.
The Trans is from my 86 GN , The carb is the factory 800cfm Q-jet that came with my "71" 455, the Tv/throttle cable bracket is from a 1986 Oldsmobile with a 307 and a 200r4 trans.
The trans has been rebuilt about 2 years ago, a 10 vane pump, heavy duty stator & the clutches where "blue Plates", and heavier duty something for the 1st and second gears,(cant remember) stock valvebody , no shift kit, and the converter is a D5 rebuilt to "Red Stripe " specs ( that is what they (trans shop) told Me)
Also is it probable That my Tourq converter is the issue?
The bracketry that connects the tv cable to the carb is crude but works.
The TCC lock up does work ,ran pwr from ign source to terminal "A" on the plug and ran it through the brake switch wich also has the switch already built in to cut cruise when brakes are applied that cruise switch is what Im using , the pwr is always there cause the solenoid is self grounding and wont activate the lockup till it sees fourth gear, shuts off when brakes are applied.
NOW THE FUN STUFF>>> Questions!!!
I beleive I got the TV cable adjustment just about right (*note I think, I do not have access to trans PSI gauge)
Would this have an effect on the long delayed shift, flat peformance feel before 1st gear change?
If its deeper and trans needs rebulit I have a 400TH long tail shaft that came with the eng. How hard would it be to convert it to a short tail shaft trans and beef it up, also would it be hard to convert it (400TH) to have lower 1st gear set?
Just concerned on what to do I know that 455 combo with 3.42 gears should really move off the line , but my car sounds like 4:11`s on 13 "rims lotsa RPMs in 1st gear ( sounds good actually) but my Ford Areostar will take it from the line .
Got any Ideas......I would love to have the OD in the 200R4 but I dont want to sink that much more money into the car.
Thanks for the band width and sorry so long winded

Try taking a click or two "OUT" of the tv cable adjustment and see if that don't help.

Mark thanks for the reply.
Which way for the clicks? I tried to follow the same pocedure you've mentioned to others earlier on setting the TV cable.
Its still all the way back to the fire wall and didnt ratchet back up when I floored the throttle cable, Too much slack, improper placement of my crude home made TV bracketry?
SHould it ( TV cable) under some sort of "load/or tension" when at rest?
Sure wish I had a Digtial camera so I can take pics to so you guys maybe could advise me on whats wrong.:)
Or the trans is shot:(
Thanks again

"The bracketry that connects the tv cable to the carb is crude but works"

This would scare me. It has to be perfect!. I would bet it is tv cable related .

TV made ezzee.....
Looks like a good decent set up...easily installed.
BUT...what carb do I have? my part on it is # 7041540.
a 1904, a 1905, or a 1910 style carb? ( these are according to TVMADEZEE).
My carb came with no linkage for a kickdown just a throttle bar plate facing up for throttle cable and cruise. how would one attach a bar or plate below the throttle plates to pull foward a TV cable.
My set up is a L channel piece mounted to a small hole next the pivot rod for the throttle plates,
Then attached to the bottom of the L channel on a pivot facing towards the rear of the carb is a plate I made with sevearal holes drilled in it to adjust foward or back if nessacary at the pivot point, then attached to a old TV attachment from a old 2BBL that I had, the TV cable it self
(KINDA GET AN IDEA???:confused: )

I believe they referance those carbs as they have the prexsisting bracket for tv, as for making one it would be difficult, but you may be able to use the bracket on yours any way?

Back