Looked at a sub 100 mile GNX. Underneath was rusted like crazy

twinvipers

It's a shame that if someone chose to store one of these cars, they didn't store it properly.

Almost every part that could have rust on it, did.

My 600 mile car blew this one away. I was going to sell mine to buy this one. Not going to happen.

Attachments

• DSC01927.jpg
    DSC01927.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,355
I bought a GNX that was sold new in New York, the original owner sent me pictures of the car the day he picked it up. It had the same surface rust coating on a majority of the underneath. The car was on the dealer lot for about 5 or 6 months.

GNX 600 miles.
96 Viper GTS.
97 Viper GTS Twin Turbo 1170RWHP on 93 Pump gas,
96 Grand Sport Corvette 400 miles.
79 Bandit T/A 400/4spd.
89 TT/A 1500 miles.
03 Saleen/Cobra Vert. Yellow 1 of 1
90 Iroc H/T 5spd.
93 Cobra 2k.
02 Camaro SS 35th 6speed 1k.

Who is this guy? :confused: Damn, nice collection except for the Mustangs..:biggrin:

There is a brand new one here in CT,The paint is shot and the car has a hand ful of dents from other cars being parked next to it.
Guy wants 120k:eek:

A few years ago, my dad was looking to buy a GNX and we looked at one on the Oregon coast that had (no rust). What a mess. :eek: The car would have needed to be taken apart, have all the surface rust removed and reassembled. It was all just surface rust but it was way to much work for the $$. I think it was #327, but it was a few years ago :rolleyes: .

Nice..

You have a stunning collection too!

Thanks. Now if only there was any time to use any of them :D

Jeff has got the real deal collection though. I had to pleasure of having most of them at our dealership back in NY. it was just crazy to walk into a room and see them all laid out. well especially when there were 3 gnx's next to each other and 2 of them had under 1k miles. :eek:

Thanks again

There is a brand new one here in CT,The paint is shot and the car has a hand ful of dents from other cars being parked next to it.
Guy wants 120k:eek:

Are you talking about the guy in Fairfield?

Old Man Winter and Lower Numbered Cars...

It's pretty well-established that the GNX's that were produced before the spring thaw of 1987 tend to have more undercarriage surface rust than later examples. This is simply the manifestation of being exposed to harsher seasonal elements during transport, queue, and final delivery.

Although there are variations in build order (and assigned numbers), this is supported by details provided by owners regarding condition, with even zero or low-mile cars being delivered new with undersurface oxidation. And this effect is strongly skewed to earlier cars.

Of course, this does not preclude improper storage of a higher number car, which is often owner-induced (untreated concrete, moist/damp garages, etc.). But comparing apples to apples (trailer queen to trailer queen if you will), a lower number car may not present as pristine an undercarriage as a higher number with a later build date, especially when it comes to light surface rust and other small inequities (wire label wear, sticker deterioration, etc.).

Of course there are many other factors, so your mileage may vary! :)

Doug

OK

Lotus
I'm gonna drive my 600 mile GNX to New York to see you next week :rolleyes:

I was thinking you probably should have driven the 17 mile R up here last month instead of shipping it. :biggrin:

ok, well atleast you drove the 79 trans am and saleen today.....

Talk to you later.

ps, I could drive the car I am checking out tommorrow down to you?

I was thinking you probably should have driven the 17 mile R up here last month instead of shipping it. :biggrin:

ok, well atleast you drove the 79 trans am and saleen today.....

Talk to you later.

ps, I could drive the car I am checking out tommorrow down to you?

LOL !!!

When are you going to check it out ?