Looking at an 01 GS

pkschul

Jul 23, 2002
Northern Virginia
Visit site
Super clean and only 58,000 miles. Florida car with no rust.
I think I can get it for under $4K.
Would be used as a daily driver and I probably wouldn't be looking to do anything extreme to it. How are these cars as daily drivers? 93 octane is an expense I know, but looking at overall reliability.
Thanks.

CzyKats44

Dis-Member
Jun 28, 2014
Glenville, NY
Cant help you decide on the Truck or the GS. However, GS, low mileage, realistic price ... No brainer. Solid car to 200K miles plenty of inexpensive parts available and easy to work on. Good Luck.

fast NY Six

Jan 31, 2016
upstate NY
Great engine, I swapped one into my Lumina. I have over 160k and I don't baby it. Really fun for fwd. I changed the supercharger oil and replaced the snout coupling, but you shouldn't need that for awhile. Good luck. Did you find a brake pedal yet?

pkschul

Jul 23, 2002
Northern Virginia
Visit site
Great engine, I swapped one into my Lumina. I have over 160k and I don't baby it. Really fun for fwd. I changed the supercharger oil and replaced the snout coupling, but you shouldn't need that for awhile. Good luck. Did you find a brake pedal yet?
No pedal yet, but it's still cold out. I won't be really motivated probably until next month.

murphinator

Aug 8, 2008
Old Orchard Beach Maine
czycatz44 nailed it above....

Great cars awesome reliability . I have owned quite a few of them and have one currently , funny story bought it ten years ago for 2 grand , my wife drove it for 5 years , I took it to the track once with only a cone filter , colder plugs and stat and ran 14.4 @96. We gave it to my daughter 5 years ago got her through college and first year plus of work , she just got a new car and asked me if I wanted it back , so 10 years history and now just starting a new chapter.

my quickest w body went 12.1 @118 pretty strong engines.

as for premium fuel the regal gs will pull down 30mpg + on the highway the regal ls (non sc) will not due to 305 vs293 gearing in the gs I think if you do the math its about a wash

85tr

Aug 7, 2008
Tacoma wa
I've got a year and 8k on a 2000 with a 178,00 miles on it. Did my own cold air intake and an intense pcm and it's a great daily.

Reactions: vicious6

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
Sep 28, 2001
Garland,Texas
www.lspbc.org
Bought a 01 for a DD all stock except for a stock location K&N filter and a 3.5 pulley. There are few suspension mods but nothing on the engine other than what I stated. Exhaust is still stock even the U bend is in place. On 93 the KR is minimal so no problems on the 3.5 which is a little surprising.

Thought about doing full exhaust getting rid of the U bend and a PCM from Intense or ZZP but didn't want to kill the fuel mileage.

I've had experience with these cars and did some mods to a DD and it killed the mileage so I was just curious on what you were getting with just the PCM ?

I might just do the U bend and the PCM and leave it at that?

I'm buying another 01 that is heavily modded for track use so I want to keep the daily a daily lol

85tr

Aug 7, 2008
Tacoma wa
I've sprung a big exhaust leak and am thinking of doing some pacesetters. May do a 3.6 after that and hope for low 14's.

Howling Mad

Aug 23, 2010
I have one. Hand ported heads, small cam, headers, intake, e85, small pulley. Makes for a fun daily driver

DoubleD

Too many Regals
Jul 28, 2006
Suburbs of Chicago, IL
I still have one too. Also ported heads, Gen5, pacesetters, etc. Used to run about 12.8 with no IC. It's been very reliable and comfortable for a long time. White car though, so it has the peeling paint problem.

I have a spare built transmission if anyone is interested.

fast NY Six

Jan 31, 2016
upstate NY
I still have one too. Also ported heads, Gen5, pacesetters, etc. Used to run about 12.8 with no IC. It's been very reliable and comfortable for a long time. White car though, so it has the peeling paint problem.

I have a spare built transmission if anyone is interested.
Does your built transmission have the 1" GMR chain by chance? If so I am interested.

Top Bottom