Looking for advice

I cringe every time I see the word ''flat'' right next to ''belt sander''.

...for those that are curious, a belt sanded finish is NOT flat.

******Well ya.... That's why Chuck Norris shaves with one. :)

Next yer gonna say it's a bad idea to belt sander mill a slightly off head or block to make a good head gasket surface!!! :LOL:

Those that have been around a while mebbe remember the first gen M&A Aluminum heads....Porosity.... and leak city... I remember using those GM tablets in the coolant to keep the leaks down..... Ya'd think they had used a belt sander on those rather expensive heads....

As for the OP, if it doesn't leak now, run it. Dunno how long the RTV is gonna last at 1000 degrees, but as someone earlier mentioned, it will probably rust itself closed after a bit...

I doesn't sound like you changed the geometry too much so consider it a great day!!! :)

I hear you Earl. Not many people can hold something flat on a belt sander but i am pretty good at it. It's clear the edges have a sharp 90*. It sure the hell ain't round..
I didn't use the wheel of the belt sander. I used the FLAT plate. Like anything ,the results are only as good as the person using the machine.
Would I put a set of heads on a belt sander? Hell fricken no but exhaust flanges can be done with good results if you know what your doing.

This thread was just to see what people would say after seeing the picture of the flange. Even though it's clearly flat, most look right past it.
It's still getting slammed because it was done on a belt sander......

I've put enough heads on the surfacing machine to know EXACTLY when I have a belt sanded head. It takes 20 times as long to indicate it to the machine when the dial indicator is going apeshit from all the slopes.

...and when I'm done machining the head it still isn't flat... It's a ''machined surface''. :)

On your downpipe flange, it probably would have been easier to hand lap it with some 80 grit and some plate glass.

I've put enough heads on the surfacing machine to know EXACTLY when I have a belt sanded head. It takes 20 times as long to indicate it to the machine when the dial indicator is going apeshit from all the slopes.

...and when I'm done machining the head it still isn't flat... It's a ''machined surface''. :)

On your downpipe flange, it probably would have been easier to hand lap it with some 80 grit and some plate glass.

Sounds like you didn’t read through my entire last post.

Furthermore, you would be hand lapping your balls off trying to clean this flange. It was waisted.

I actually was joking, note the smileys. :p

Although I have used a composite gasket on my GN for over 10 years with no issues other than it finally got ruined putting the cat. on and off so many times for emissions.

No more of that B.S. testing now so I bolted it up without it, no leaks 'cause it's a Mease pipe with good flange not my THDP on the other car that always leaked some right on the oil filter black soot.

;):cool:

TurboBillsGasketAfterGNUse2.jpg

This thread was just to see what people would say after seeing the picture of the flange. Even though it's clearly flat, most look right past it.
It's still getting slammed because it was done on a belt sander......
And here i thought you was just f-----g around since someone else just put a picture of the same part but ruined by a belt sander ( blaming the tool not person)