Lots of smoke (possibly turbo?)

KevinB

I think I might have answered my own question, but here it is anyways.

I just got done putting a bone stock engine in my car (just a temp till my good engine gets done :) ). Well the car has been running good all day. I put about 30 miles or so on it, no WOT blasts yet at this point. I got on the highway and went WOT for about 4 seconds. I look back and there is a ton of smoke. During WOT the car had no knock and was on the rich side.

The turbo is a stocker....probally original b/c of the non-adjustable waistgate. I was told this engine sat for at least 5 years. Before I put it in, I replaced the v-springs and timing chain.

I pulled all 6 plugs and there is no sign of oil. No oil in the i/c tubes either. Sound like a turbo?? When the car sits at idle, huge clouds oil smoke are seen.

TIA

Yeah, motor sounds ok, No sign of oil on plugs.

Most likely turbo or pcv

Does it smoke alot more when you decelerate coming to a stop?

Usually deceleration smoke is the turbo going out, can you check the turbo shaft play to see how bad it is...

BW

From what you have told us I would say turbo. I would call a good vendor and order a replacement.
See ya, Kip

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Usually deceleration smoke is the turbo going out, can you check the turbo shaft play to see how bad it is...

BW

Yeah, very bad on decel. I will check end play tomarrow.

Now comes the fun part.....what turbo do I want to go with. I had good luck with the PT54 last year. I am thinking 45a :biggrin:

KevinB said:
Yeah, very bad on decel. I will check end play tomarrow.

Now comes the fun part.....what turbo do I want to go with. I had good luck with the PT54 last year. I am thinking 45a :biggrin:

51 if it has stock heads

Buddy of mine went 11.08 at 123+ over a year ago with it, 206 non roller cam and heads never off :smile:

OHhhh that was a good night at the track, only went 1.59 sixty foot, full weight and 25psi max... psd IC

BW

Kip said:
From what you have told us I would say turbo. I would call a good vendor and order a replacement.
See ya, Kip
Kip, you got any used deals going on?

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
51 if it has stock heads

Buddy of mine went 11.08 at 123+ over a year ago with it, 206 non roller cam and heads never off :smile:

OHhhh that was a good night at the track, only went 1.59 sixty foot, full weight and 25psi max... psd IC

BW

My 54 last year went 11.18 with stock block/heads. My car has many good parts on it now. New V1 i/c, 65 lb injectors, TPro, 3500 n/l converter, 200 w/brake, I have a set of ATR headers (not on now) and a few others. I had all this on the stock turbo....no lag at all :D I was hoping to get a high 11 sec pass with the stock turbo. Anways, I think a 45 would go great with this.

What heads?
Whose convertor?

45a is great, i have one on my green car in my sig with a .85 precision housing... You need some good heads and a great convertor to make it right...

Good air, good track, lil this and dat... how sweet it is, just like being 16 again :biggrin: ;)

BW

turbo

buy that 70 that you have been talking about :biggrin: and let see how fast we can make it go