You can type here any text you want

Loud Clunk When Shift into Drive

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BASS

Ok, to make a long story short, I had another low-mileage motor put into my T along with the low-mileage tranny. The trany was opened up and inspected and was in great shape. Now, about 75% of the time, when I shift out of park and into Drive, it makes a clunk and the tranny abruptly feels like it shifted into Drive. Same thing happens when I shift from Neutral into Drive. I did notice that my PRND shifter does not line up, but ive always had that problem from day one and I dont think thats the problem (I believe I may have the wrong length shifter cable, possibly from a Monte)..

What can this problem be caused from?? Maybe bad U-Joints?? :confused: :confused:

Ok, to make a long story short, I had another low-mileage motor put into my T along with the low-mileage tranny. The trany was opened up and inspected and was in great shape. Now, about 75% of the time, when I shift out of park and into Drive, it makes a clunk and the tranny abruptly feels like it shifted into Drive. Same thing happens when I shift from Neutral into Drive. I did notice that my PRND shifter does not line up, but ive always had that problem from day one and I dont think thats the problem (I believe I may have the wrong length shifter cable, possibly from a Monte)..

What can this problem be caused from?? Maybe bad U-Joints?? :confused: :confused:
Double check the u joints and make sure they are also installed and tightned down correctly

Wow, quick reply! How do I inspect these U-joints anyways? Just look for any play?? Thanks

Hi,
You would be lucky if the ujoints are bad.I think you are dealing with a malaise which afflicted most GM cars and trucks in the 80s;harsh engagement. The 700r4 got an auxiliary valve body in '86 to fix it. The 200R4 had similar issues,and my TTA has some restructuring to address the issue, but ironically,I'm not as familiar with those. I could be totally misconstruing this problem,so further feedback would help. Good luck with your troubles.

I remember a modification that we did to my old 200 tranny years ago that helped smooth up the engagement when going from Park to Rev or Park to Drive. Basically helped it glide into gear instead of slam into gear. This completely eliminated the loud and harsh sounding CLANG!!!, when putting the car into gear. It also, did not affect the performance of the tranny under WOT.
Might want to contact brian or Lonnie on here for their thoughts or suggestions.
HTH

Patrick

I remember a modification that we did to my old 200 tranny years ago that helped smooth up the engagement when going from Park to Rev or Park to Drive. Basically helped it glide into gear instead of slam into gear. This completely eliminated the loud and harsh sounding CLANG!!!, when putting the car into gear. It also, did not affect the performance of the tranny under WOT.
Might want to contact brian or Lonnie on here for their thoughts or suggestions.
HTH

Patrick
Did anyone get an answer to this old thread? my car is doing the same thing, but only into drive

Generally it is U-joints. Search on here for Spicer. Best greaseless U-joint for a decent price.

If the wave plate wasn't used in forward clutch pack it will do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the clunk sound is coming from the rear end, the ring and pinion gear made need attention.

Chuck

Back