Loud Exhaust warning CA

olds443

So I went to the store tonight and was followed and pulled over for a "loud aftermarket exhaust...". No ticket, no isurance card needed, just had to present license. I am sure the main reason was to see where the guy in the old Buick was going.
Anyway I asked the cop what the db limit was and he didn't know and wasn't even sure what vehicle code it was which prompted me to look it up so that next time I know.

For the record I know the car is louder than most Buicks. TH Downpipe, 3" ATR Single Shot, Pitbull muffler and cutout in place of cat. I will be replacing with a new cat soon which should quiet it down a bit. It did in the old car. I wouldn't say it is any louder than the Mustangs or Camaro's with aftermarket exhaust running around.

Here is what I found from SEMA's site; (note; I am in CA but the CA VC is the same wording)
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Legislation to Establish Exhaust Noise Limit Introduced in New Jersey; to be Considered by Assembly Committee

Legislation (A.B. 3738) that would require the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to prescribe a decibel limit to which all aftermarket mufflers sold in the state would have to be certified to operate has been introduced in the New Jersey State Legislature. The bill, introduced By Assemblyman Robert Gordon, gives no instruction as to what the decibel limit should be.

In some states, noise limits for modified exhaust systems are established by a SEMA model bill (attached) and applicable to an easy to administer test standard. The SEMA model provides for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.

To date, with the popular support of vehicle enthusiasts and related businesses, the model has been enacted in California, Washington State and Maine. This year, the SEMA model was introduced in Virginia.

Contact members of the New Jersey Assembly Environment and Solid Waste Committee (List to Follow) to request their support for a 95-decibel limit under SAE J1169

The SEMA model removes subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test.
The SEMA model would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.
The SEMA model would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust system modifications are considered illegal, even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse, despite having the law on their side.
The SEMA model recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
The SEMA model removes authority for the calculation of a decibel limit from state regulators and puts it back in the hands of your elected representatives.

CA VC;
Adequate Muffler Required
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 558, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978. Supersedes Ch. 579.

Regulations Governing Exhaust Systems
27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.

(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Amended Sec. 3, Ch. 569, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

Here is a link if you want to read more. Vehicle Code Index -E-

I hope this info can be of help to someone.

I just cruise when I see cops in Sacramento. They're always looking for a reason to pull me over in the Buick. But i've never had a problem in LA? Weird...

I had issues in the Bay Area when I was younger.
Most of the times I got the impression that the police
wanted to make sure the car was not stolen.
I had a shaved head an looked about 17-18 even though I was 23-25.
One of the officers told me that modifying the exhaust at all was illegal.
I then mentioned that anything after the cat with in reason was actually legal.
I also asked why the local chapter of the hells angels never get pulled over for their motorcycles and I mentioned that they are louder than 7 second cars I have heard. He did not really have an answer for that one...

BTW I have been pulled over in a Buick about 5 times.
I have never gotten a ticket in once.

Been Pulled over twice so far, same **** spot to. First time the cop said my tabs were wrong gave him all my paper work came back and said he typed in my plate wrong. Ya right he just wanted to see who I was(tinted windows). Second time was for a low beam going out, no big deal he liked the car and told me to try smacking it a few times. The cops up here are really pretty nice to me. I have been driving around with to cat or mufflers for over a month now and no problem(knock on wood). I was even passing a car at wot and went right pass a cop and he just sat there. Got to love my car, I have freinds that drive stangs and imports and seems like the get pulled over all the time:D

Just to be clear I don't want this to turn into a cop bashing thing. When younger I used to slick my hair back and looked Mexican to anyone cruising by, now put me into any of the cars I drove (mostly Cutlass's) and I was a prime suspect. There are cool cops and bad cops, most of the ones that pulled me over were cool even when I was 100% at fault. Even this guy was cool.
I went one summer getting stopped literally every other week, most of the time no ticket at all. It was the car and some of the people I hung with at the time. Makes for interesting stories and almost no stress when I do see the lights:eek:

Man I must have it easy over here in NY. I just have a single 4" exhaust that is about 3 feet long, with a custom home-made baffle system inside of it. It is pretty loud but not like the big block guys running around. The first night that I had it installed I was driving down the main drag and there was a sheriff right behind me for about 2 miles, didn't even give me a second look.......

I do have dark tinted windows as well but always have them down when driving around, they are a pain in the ass to drive with up (came on the car)

Joe

Regulations Governing Exhaust Systems
27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.

(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Amended Sec. 3, Ch. 569, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

Here is a link if you want to read more. Vehicle Code Index -E-

I hope this info can be of help to someone.

I saw the device the Referee uses when the regulation first came out. My Buick was at 88db and my Chevelle with uncorked hedders hit 105db. To put this into some perspective, when the Sacramento Kings Basketball team used to sell out, the max db in the arena was 102.

I saw the device the Referee uses when the regulation first came out. My Buick was at 88db and my Chevelle with uncorked hedders hit 105db. To put this into some perspective, when the Sacramento Kings Basketball team used to sell out, the max db in the arena was 102.

Wow, that's significantly louder than what I thought was legal. What sort of exhaust system was on the Buick when you hit 88 DB?

Wow, that's significantly louder than what I thought was legal. What sort of exhaust system was on the Buick when you hit 88 DB?

I have an ATR DP with a 3 inch inlet / outlet cat and the stock y pipe. Then I had the over the axle muffler replaced with two mufflers before the axle and over then out the side (stock look). I'm using a poston flat tappet cam (close to the 206 cam from Lunati) with stock ported heads (just a little bigger valve). I would say very close to stock.

Gotta be some comfort that he was checking the license, would make me feel confident if the car was ever stolen, they'd at least be checking up on the driver, not that they could catch the car.

It's complete BS that they don't give the Hardleys a bad time for loud pipes.

Gotta be some comfort that he was checking the license, would make me feel confident if the car was ever stolen, they'd at least be checking up on the driver, not that they could catch the car.

It's complete BS that they don't give the Hardleys a bad time for loud pipes.
The list of vehicles is almost endless with loud exhaust and there are plenty in our little town. There are quite a few of the big turbo diesel trucks with 4" and larger pipes, etc sound like a damn freight train coming at you. As far as catching anyone because they were checking lic, etc., it would never happen here in CA. I guess you would have to be in this area to understand but more a chance he was looking for a gangster or drugs, etc than anything else.

Sounds like a nice law to me... This dual flowmaster on a SBC crap at 3 in the morning on worknights is getting pretty dam old to me...
I say ticket 'em till they cant afford it anymore.
Is my car loud? Only when I open the dump... but at that point i'm fully prepared to pay my ticket lol..Though I only do that VERY rarely. Mostly for experimental purposes. Overall, I'm still in search of the quietest exhaust ever made...