You can type here any text you want

low oil pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
hi, i would see what spring is in oil pump bypass and put a heavy spring in. you will get 70 psi cold and should help hot pressure easy thing to try. 55 cold sounds low to me

I'm pretty sure the bypass (unless it's totally messed up,) has no effect on low pressure. Basically it will bypass at certain psi, like 70 or whatever the spring it has. Putting a new spring isn't going to do anything for low pressure.

What lifters did you use? Could be a leak at one of the oil plugs in the front. Who put the engine together? Do you know the clearances?

I'm pretty sure the bypass (unless it's totally messed up,) has no effect on low pressure. Basically it will bypass at certain psi, like 70 or whatever the spring it has. Putting a new spring isn't going to do anything for low pressure.

What lifters did you use? Could be a leak at one of the oil plugs in the front. Who put the engine together? Do you know the clearances?
its a brand new weber stroker with roller morel lifters and a new blueprinted gm front cover

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJKzG71xa8w[/YOUTUBE]
this is cold idle.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0OA30qN7H8[/YOUTUBE]
this is reving in drive

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0uNspuvHlI[/YOUTUBE]

this is reving in park

I don't know Brian, that doesn't look to bad to me. Oil pressure is responding well to rpm. Looks allot like mine. My motor is fresh as well. (2 weeks old) Hot op is 15 or so with Brad Penn 20/50. As long as it's responding quickly I would not be too alarmed. If the oil pressure drops to 0 at idle and gets lazy to respond with rpm, then I would start to worry.

The added clearance in performance built motors are more than likely the cause for low op readings @idle.

Can you try a good mechanical gauge?
yes going to get a new mechanical autometer

I don't know Brian, that doesn't look to bad to me. Oil pressure is responding well to rpm. Looks allot like mine. My motor is fresh as well. (2 weeks old) Hot op is 15 or so with Brad Penn 20/50. As long as it's responding quickly I would not be too alarmed. If the oil pressure drops to 0 at idle and gets lazy to respond with rpm, then I would start to worry.

The added clearance in performance built motors are more than likely the cause for low op readings @idle.
thanks thats what weber was saying and also said as long as the rpms respond then it is normal. i am just scared and want it to be ok because this car is dying to move out. took it out today and just going to pass a car at 45 it hazes the tires with a few pounds of boost. thanks rick also the knock was the stretched intercooler shroud was loose

Do you have oil all the way up to the rockers on both sides of the engine?
soaked with oil

I also do not think it looks bad, my car runs about 8-10psi at idle when in park and that is with 20-50.....it jumps up real quick with rpm much better than 10psi per 1000rpm. I am also running a high volume from cover and it did kinda worry me but not enough to pull the engine down.

Last week I pulled the engine out and apart cause I blew a head gasket, i decided to take the bottom end apart just to look. All the mains except for the thrust looked good. the thrust bearing had some large trash go through it it had a coulpe of deep scratches in it...not to the babbit but deep enough to feel with your fingernail. All the rod bearings looked great! All the cam bearings looked real good except for one had some deep scratched in it...it was the 3rd one back. but still no babbit.

I think this was the cause of the slightly low oil pressure and I think I probabbly could have kept running it this way without and problems. When I first built this engine 3 years ago it did see lots of bad detonation cause i did not know what I was doing as far as tuning.(this is the reason the head gasket let go I am sure) but I was still surprised to see the bearing in such great shape with all that hammering going on.

Anyway form the looks of how fast your pressure shoots up even while hot and you do not see anything in the filter (if you have cut it open) I would not worry too much about it. I would however address the knock issue and get that straight with tuning.

Best of luck!

I also do not think it looks bad, my car runs about 8-10psi at idle when in park and that is with 20-50.....it jumps up real quick with rpm much better than 10psi per 1000rpm. I am also running a high volume from cover and it did kinda worry me but not enough to pull the engine down.

Last week I pulled the engine out and apart cause I blew a head gasket, i decided to take the bottom end apart just to look. All the mains except for the thrust looked good. the thrust bearing had some large trash go through it it had a coulpe of deep scratches in it...not to the babbit but deep enough to feel with your fingernail. All the rod bearings looked great! All the cam bearings looked real good except for one had some deep scratched in it...it was the 3rd one back. but still no babbit.

I think this was the cause of the slightly low oil pressure and I think I probabbly could have kept running it this way without and problems. When I first built this engine 3 years ago it did see lots of bad detonation cause i did not know what I was doing as far as tuning.(this is the reason the head gasket let go I am sure) but I was still surprised to see the bearing in such great shape with all that hammering going on.

Anyway form the looks of how fast your pressure shoots up even while hot and you do not see anything in the filter (if you have cut it open) I would not worry too much about it. I would however address the knock issue and get that straight with tuning.

Best of luck!
thanks amelio yes the knock issue was the loose intercooler shroud i had the wheels turned and it was rattleing bad and setting off the knock sensor in park at idle so i held it and my wife said it was regeristering zero untill i let it go. if i straightened the wheel it quit. i think your bearing problem was trash not oil pressure. thanks again

glad to hear the knock issue was nothing big.......I just took my oil pump apart and there are ome gooves in the plate.....I think the combination of the scrtached main and cam bearing plus the wear in the pump plate is my low oil pressure at idle. I'm just putting in new bearngs and a new plate from TA and I should be good to go.

Now your knock issue is fixed I would not sweat the oil pressure.....get your tune good and have fun :)

Hey Brian, mine reads the same. 55~60 cold and 10~15 hot. I'm using a VDO electric. oil gauge, PTE Turbo Saver and WIX 51258 filter.;)

A $30 oil sample is always a good back up to a filter inspection...

I agree with Nick, run a good filter.

I like Mark's. Billet Oil Filters
yes going with a biggie with a baldwin

glad to hear the knock issue was nothing big.......I just took my oil pump apart and there are ome gooves in the plate.....I think the combination of the scrtached main and cam bearing plus the wear in the pump plate is my low oil pressure at idle. I'm just putting in new bearngs and a new plate from TA and I should be good to go.

Now your knock issue is fixed I would not sweat the oil pressure.....get your tune good and have fun :)
that sucks hope your back soon good luck

Hey Brian, mine reads the same. 55~60 cold and 10~15 hot. I'm using a VDO electric. oil gauge, PTE Turbo Saver and WIX 51258 filter.;)
that just confirms there setup on these motors. i am going to go with a biggie filter along with a big 16 row 8 an oil cooler. these motors are sick!!!! i took it out yesterday and 17 psi and 20/18 pump gas and a blip of knock it spins easing into it at 35 let off then ease into it at 45 it spins and the same up to 60mph:eek:

if it changes i will look into it

I agree with Nick, run a good filter.

I like Mark's. Billet Oil Filters

GREAT NEWS!!!! went to advanced auto and bought another autometer gauge and my pressure is reading 25 to 30 hot in park and 20 hot in gear. thought maybe it was a fluke and then i took my gauge out of my dads and it read the same. all i need now is a big auxillary cooler and biggie oil filter. my friend also reads the same in his wre motor 20/50

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqptckksazA[/YOUTUBE]

That's good.

What you mean by a biggie filter? Get mark's its desined to filter all the time unlike the paper ones.

That's good.

What you mean by a biggie filter?
the rjc biggie oil filter adapter. it screws on your pupm housing so you can run a big filter found on big blocks. more filter media and less pressure drop across filter as well as correct working anti drainbacks as well as a few psi of pressure

the rjc biggie oil filter adapter. it screws on your pupm housing so you can run a big filter found on big blocks. more filter media and less pressure drop across filter as well as correct working anti drainbacks as well as a few psi of pressure

My guess even the BB ones will by-pass at high RPMs.

Back