lowering springs for drag racing

1BUICKTtype

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a lowering spring that would lower the car 1.5-2" but not severely impact its drag racing abilities? I understand it is not ideal to lower the car if good 60' and 1/4 mile times are what you're after but I am looking for a compromise. I was thinking Eibach Pro Kit as a good dual purpose spring since it's not too stiff? Thanks

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a lowering spring that would lower the car 1.5-2" but not severely impact its drag racing abilities? I understand it is not ideal to lower the car if good 60' and 1/4 mile times are what you're after but I am looking for a compromise. I was thinking Eibach Pro Kit as a good dual purpose spring since it's not too stiff? Thanks
Get coilovers.. Adjust height to your liking for the street, then adjust for track as needed.

I don't know about hurting performance... lowering usually improves the geometry. But that is more in the 1 to 1.5" range up front and 1.5 to 2" out back (with taller tires in the rear). I think the biggest thing I ran into was rubbing up front when being real low... on turns and under heavy braking. Not good for the track to rub up front when braking after the run is over trying to slow down.

I'm running SPC Performance Springs from Savitske Classic and Custom up front and 2.5" coilover springs out back on adjustable Wolfe perches right now. The good thing with the adjustable perches out back is that you never know where the car will be up front as every spring seems to be different for each car.... so you can just dial in the perches out back to match the front height. Alternatively you can go with coilovers for more $.

Before the rear adjustable perches, I had the SPC springs and taller lower ball joints up front that got me to around 24.5" at the front fender lip on 235/60/15 tires and Belltech 5100 rear springs that got the rear fender lip to 25.5" on 275/50/15 tires. See pics:
https://turbobuick.com/threads/slammed-turbo-regal-picture-thread.329850/page-15#post-2881699

Some cheats you can do is use somewhat shorter tires up front... some brands or size combos are more like 25 to 25.5" tall up front instead of the usual 26". You can gain an extra half inch or more just by that. And then use short 26" tires out back. If you use 27" or 28" tires it will give it a more tucked in look but you may need a frame notch, rolled fender lip, and bang the inside wheel well in to get it to fit when lowered (assuming you have the correct rim backspace that centers the tire also).

I kept the car lowered going from low 9 sec power back to a stock turbo... no issues with hooking.

I've been 1.47 60ft on 18" drag radial. Anything below 1.55 is considered bad for the car. It has eibacs, afx spindles....I would consider it more pro touring, but it flat works on the drag strip.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
I've been 1.47 60ft on 18" drag radial. Anything below 1.55 is considered bad for the car. It has eibacs, afx spindles....I would consider it more pro touring, but it flat works on the drag strip.

I was just going to post about you.
I remember searching suspension set ups looking for spring rates and running across "a guy" that was knocking down 1.4's with a lowered rig, but that was a year and a half ago and I couldn't remember it was you.

Thank you for posting, it makes me appear less flakey.

It’s funny you brought this up I have the eibaic lowering springs all around and am seriously considering going back To stock springs . I just picked up some front runners that are only 24.5” tall and I figure it’s going to have that stink bug look which I’m not A big fan of . So if these lower springs re going to affect the 1/4” performance I’ll swap back to the stock springs. Does anyone have actually times with lowering springs and without ? Any data would be appreciated

Do you mind providing more information on your suspension set-up & power level? Drag strip times?

Thank you.

Chris, I have some kirbans stock replacements front springs if you need

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Chris, I have some kirbans stock replacements front springs if you need

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I have my stock ones still that should still be good . Thanks anyway bud

Thanks for all the responses!

What kind of drag racing do you plan on doing?
Just looking to make some passes at the track, eventually hoping for some 11-10s with a 6262. Looking to run the 28" M/T Pro Bracket Radial
You will "kill" traction street and strip if you lower the car as stated.
Understood, but looking for a compromise of street/strip performance. I was also looking at some LCA relocation brackets and they do not appear to be that popular with the turbo Buick crowd. I know with F-Bodys, the first mod after lowering springs would be LCA relocation brackets. Do you think those would help?
Theres hope! Thanks. Eibach Pro Kit I presume? Care to share the details of your suspension set-up?

Here is the set up for those who have asked. Front suspension AFX spindles, Eibac Springs, SPC upper & lower control arms, Double adj shocks, Hellwig front sway bar ( I DO NOT disconnect it at the drag strip)

Rear suspension. Uppers and lowers in the stock mounting points, eibac springs, double adj shocks, Hellwig adj sway bar in its tightest position with custom made links keeping it parallel to the ground