You can type here any text you want

Lowering Tech, Many questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

OK guys, I know this topic has been discussed over and over and over again but, I have a few questions. I am in the process of lowering my car. I have BellTech 1.5" springs in the rear already and am getting ready to do the front. What is my best option? I know the geometry of the font using 2" spinldes can cause clearence issues, but whats the best route to go with? Drop springs? Wouldn't drop springs cause a poor ride quality? I do plan to do a 4 wheel LS1 brake conversion in the front but not till next year so the stockers will have to do for now. I have Billsteins on all fours right now but they are not adjustable. In the future, I'm sure I will get adjustable A-arms but dont have the money right now so what do I do? Thanks in advance! -----Jeremy

OK no replies yet but I really do need some help here! I just installed the rear BellTech 1.5" springs and the car looks like a lowrider in the back!!! I am going with a Stage 2 motor which will keep the front end down more do to the extra 60lbs. I'm wondering if I should just go with a set of Hotchkis springs in the front? I just worry about the ride being to springy? I know with a set of lowering springs and the extra weight of the Stage motor, I should be sitting at the right stance. Any ideas?

There are many lowering spring options out there. I installed Moog 5660 in may car last night and theoretically they should have lowered my car but they did not, so now I'm going to cut them. The moog 5658 springs certainly lower the front end and have a little better spring rate to handle that stage motor. All the aftermarket springs like hotchkis, global west, suspension techniques, etc would all work as they lower the front end and are a little stiffer rates.

Before you consider buying drop spindles, be sure of what brake system you will end up using. Some larger OEM brakes will not work on G body spindles, so do research on this. You will find ppl swapping to other spindles for brakes, and also getting 1/2"-1" drop using the other spindle.
The front end dropping w/ spindles will still need a stiffer rate spring to make the rates correct. If you do a 2" drop spindle, and an OEM mushy 20 yr old spring, you will be unhappy, as ALOT of drop spindle users are. (Also needing more rear spacing on your front wheels for inner fender clearance). Moog offers stock height springs if you go this route. A quality spring company can do a 1.5"-2" drop for the front, but are generally sold in a 4 spring set.
Look at Summit.com and other sites you trust to provide alot of info on alot of varied products.
If all else fails, QA1 adjustable perched springs would be the easiest fix, quality ride, and adjustability allows tuning of handling and height.
HTH!

I know a lot of the guys go with the B-body spindles and have major problems with bump steer. Do you guys think drop springs are the way to go?? I had BellTech drop spindles on my Monte and did not like the ride at all. Also I am thinking I may have issues with my front mounts pipes clearing my driveway. The Monte's front end drug a little while trying to pull into the garage with the spindles. So, get all 4 drop springs and adjustable shocks? I've heard Koni makes adjustable shocks that are pretty cost effective, is this true??

I know a lot of the guys go with the B-body spindles and have major problems with bump steer. Do you guys think drop springs are the way to go?? I had BellTech drop spindles on my Monte and did not like the ride at all. Also I am thinking I may have issues with my front mounts pipes clearing my driveway. The Monte's front end drug a little while trying to pull into the garage with the spindles. So, get all 4 drop springs and adjustable shocks? I've heard Koni makes adjustable shocks that are pretty cost effective, is this true??

Not picking on you bro, but I have never had a good explination of why "drop spindles ride bad" that makes any sense at all. It makes no mathamatical sense, nor logical sense, its a exact replica w/ the spindle/mount 2" higher. Same spring, same shock. **It can not affect ride, only steering response and geometry. (Which a good alignmant tech can fix...) tEvery install MUST have camber/toe/caster checked after spindles, and sometimes caster split further to help if it feels "darty"). The only other way is if one spindle isnt cast perfectly, and therefor the spindles are at a strange angle. However, a quality alignment machine would still show bad #s. I have done SO many trucks w/ spindles w/o any issues after alignment, someone please tell me why you think what you do!

Getting all 4 springs is your best bet I think and any of the previously mentioned brands will work for you. The Konis are also a good way to go. A lot of GNs are running Bilsteins but I prefer Konis personally because of their quality and adjustability.

Greg, I am just basing my opinions on what my old car felt like driving down the road and from what I have read and heard. I honestly couldnt logically explain it. I agree 100% with you that there should be no difference between the stockers and a lowering spindle except height. I have read sooooo much on this subject and you always get a million different opinions!:confused:

84TXGN, yeah I think thats the route I'm going to go with. I do have a set of brand new Billsteins on my car now and we'll have to see how the ride is once I get the springs on. I just wish they were adjustable.

On the other note, my friend just brought up a good point, I will be running aluminum heads on this car so that should make up the difference between weight of blocks so I should be able to get the stance right now and stick with it! BONUS!

I forgot to mention, you can get the howe lower ball joints to lower the front of the car another .5 to .75 inch if the springs don't lower it enough for you.

It looksto me like the BellTechs I have are not progressive springs do to the fact that they have the same spacing between coils. I would definately like to go with a rear spring that I can install an airbag into. Anybody know if you can or not with these BellTechs? How about the Hotchks ones? I'm not real fond of the 1.5 lower in rear with these BellTechs, I think the 1" would do it about perfectly. I may just go ahead and buy the Hotchkis kit as long as airbags fit. Then sell the BellTechs.

I may be interested in your rear Bell Tech springs. With a 26 inch (stock height) tire, what is the measurement from ground to bottom of wheelwell? I have heated stock coils and I am lowwwwwwww....looking to raise it up a bit with linear rate coils but still want to stay low.

I actually have GNX wheels and tires on the car right now but I will take some measurements for you tomorrow. Still not sure if I am going to keep them or not. I'll let you know for sure. I would like to see a few more cars with Hotchkis springs. I thought about heating up the stockers but I would rather just buy actual lowering springs.

Thanks. I am also researching lowering springs and it would help me out alot to know what your 1.5 inch drop springs really equate to. Since my car has never been "stock height", I don't know what a 1 or 2 inch drop is supposed to measure :confused: Once you get your nose down to match the rear, you may decide you like the 1.5 drop.

I'm curious to see how your car ends up since right now I'm leaning towards the Hotchkis set up myself. I may end up using the adjustable upper arms from Savitske(?) Customs for the alignment tuning benefits though. I wonder if a 1.5" to 2" drop is too low for a front mount intercooler set up though ???

I have Belltech drop spindles in the front and there springs in the rear. My car sits low. Maybe too low. I have the stock GN wheels on the front and GN 15/8 on the rear. Front mount pipes barely clear the car trailer ramps. 275/50 drag radials on the rear. I believe 215/65/15's on the front. Major problems with inner fender lips maybe because of the 90/10's. I do have the stiffest MOOG springs I could use in the front. The stock springs are way too soft. I hope this helps.

Well guys, i just got the car out of garage prison!!!! New rear end, adjustable rear upper control arms (UMI), UMI lower tubulars, S-10 wheel cylinders, BellTech Springs rear, aluminum drums, adjusted the 3" single shot exhaust and polished the tail pipe, BellTech shocks, ATR rear swaybar!!!!!!!! Actually if I can figure out whether or not airbags fit in the springs, I may just keep them.
TSpool, I do like the height! It seems to be just right! I do want to get the front completed before I make a definate decision but it looks really nice!

MIB, I know my Montes front end was way tooooooo low for me but it dis look very nice with the spindles, do you have a problem with regular driving and the front mounts pipes??

I may go with 1" drop springs and the ball joints that 84TXGN suggested. Sounds like that may get me very close to where I want to be. I think it will also be a pretty cost effective route as well. The drop spindles look nice but I just didnt care for the ride even though they technically should ride the same. For some reason, they just didnt seem to. I dont know! I keep you guys posted as well and maybe post some pics next week. I think this will help a bunch of people out by reading this post, which was also my intention. I love the lowered stance but it's just hard to decide which is the best way! So far, I'm happy though!

I do by the way, get a clunk when I pull into my driveway. i got this clunking before the lowering springs. I thought it was the rear end hitting the exhaust pipe but I am pretty sure I clearenced it enough. Sure enough, it's still there. Do you guys think this could be the ATR bar??

MIB, could you possibly post a couple pics of your car?? I'd love to see them!

I do by the way, get a clunk when I pull into my driveway. i got this clunking before the lowering springs. I thought it was the rear end hitting the exhaust pipe but I am pretty sure I clearenced it enough. Sure enough, it's still there. Do you guys think this could be the ATR bar??

Easiest way to find out for sure is take 10 minutes and remove the ATR bar, then pull into your driveway :D

If you want to raise the rear just a bit without changing springs, use these eBay Motors: Poly Rear Coil Spring Isolators 67 - 88 GM A / G Body (item 140050881027 end time Mar-08-07 15:08:37 PST)

TSpool, you make me feel dumb!! For some reason I didnt even think of that!!! Looks like I will have a project tomorrow!!!!

Ok, another question for you guys, check out this link and tll me which to order. There are V8 applications, V6 applications, and all models applications:
Suspension Techniques HIGH-PERFORMANCE LOWERING SPRINGS : JC Whitney: Car Parts & Accessories

My mom bought me a JCWhitney $50 gift certificate so i thought I might just try these and see what happens!

Back