You can type here any text you want

ls engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nu2gn

fasteddie
i lost oil pressure in my 3.8, oil gears clashed and ate the front cover,came is flat.so im considering an ls1 swap for my 87 gn, is it worth it? i have the engine sitting in storage. about how much money will i need for the swap? comes with the harness. and what kind of trans do i need? should i go for it? or should i fix the v6? :confused:

ls1

Go fir it . I just finish my 67 Chevelle with LS1 and 4l60E . am about to start on my 70 Chevelle soon. my GN still running otherwise I will do the swap too. Very easy to do

where did u get the turbo headers from, did u do twin or single turbo? what's the expense like? i will be doing all the labor.

GN's are all about the v-6
if ya wanna go ls buy a monte,grand prix, or a cutlass
keep your GN GN
just my 2cents
-dan

i get that alot. i thought it would be cool to go ls1 and turbo it. im not interested in another gbody that's not a gn. how much can i get for the ls1 with all accesories and harness?

i get that alot. i thought it would be cool to go ls1 and turbo it. im not interested in another gbody that's not a gn. how much can i get for the ls1 with all accesories and harness?

What are your ET/MPH goals?

Is it primarily a strip or street car?

My Chevelle is Natural power. No turbo there. my 70 Chevelle is gonna be turbo. there 's a guy around my town build header for me.

I buy a donor car for $2000 and use stand alone harness for $450 that way you have motor and tranny, you just have to make your own header for your turbo. If you want to get an idea of doing ls1 in an GN look into S&P performance ,they did a GN without turbo

i have the engine and harness,anything else that i would need? if i decide not to do it, i would like to sell the engine.

i'm really close to doing the same thing, except with a Caprice LT1 instead of an LS1. my T Type has a regular 231 with the '84 Turbo goodies on it, and the stock trans is in pieces on the shelf. i figure the LT1 with a 700r4 would make the car fun to drive while i build a "proper" Buick V6 and 200 4r trans to put in it. i'm thinking a 4.1 with some minor upgrades eventually, if i can find a good core to build from.

with the power and torque of the LS engine, you won't need to worry about adding a turbo. it will be fast enough without it.
it should be easy to physically get the motor into the car- it will bolt right up to your stock trans with only a special flexplate adapter and tv cable. bolt a set of small block frame mounts to the frame and either make or buy some motor mount adapters that use the stock small block "clamshells".
there, the motor is in the car and you are down to hooking stuff up.
you gotta figure out the exhaust- i'd try the stock manifolds, and only get some swap headers if the stock manifolds don't clear.
i'm sure the stock fuel lines in the car can be made to work with the LS fuel rail with a little creativity, and Camaro radiator hoses should get that part of it all hooked up.
a little bit of wiring, and you are good to go.
it shouldn't be too hard to do this without hacking up the car- the stock ecm and wiring can be removed and put on a shelf somewhere, and you can make adapter connectors for the few wires and lines you need to hook up under the hood. keep all the stock stuff to put back in the car some day if you decide to sell it- a GN without a turbocharged Buick V6 is just a fancy Regal to someone looking to buy one.

nova i dont mean to put you down, but it would be more powerful and cheaper to go LS and you have more options becuase of the legth of time these engines have been around and the vast variety of vehicles that depend on LS powerplants.. Also i would recommend boosting it, because a lot fo turbo buicks will walk on healthy LS1s. As far as cost, to build our 5.3 turbo with 4L80E behind it is looking to be about $4K for everything from fuel pump to downpipe, this is not including EFI Live tuning software because we already had it before hand, But we were lucky and have a lot of hookups.. But im going to also say once you go boosted LSX you wont go back.. Also it will depend on if you have to tools and ability to build your own headers and any other fab work like we did..

,Dan

for me, it would be cheaper and easier to use the LT1 since it's sitting on the engine stand about 10 feet from the car as i type this. it just needs about $500 in parts to put it back together and ready to run.
and i know that a turbo LS motor will make more power than a non turbo LS motor- that's goes without saying- but a stock non turbo LS engine will probably be faster, more fuel efficient, and more fun than the stock turbocharged Buick V6, and by running it naturally aspirated at first the car will be up and running faster- which keeps the owner interested in the car instead of it just being that aggravating and money sucking lump of steel that takes up space in the garage.

i have to agree with you on the LS engine being all around better off the get go! It only cost us $500 for a complete 5.3 from ECM to oil pan... Thats a cheap easy way to go!

Back