lt1 head aches....

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
ah crap, well lets see i ripped apart my friends LT 1 last weekend and heres the problems so far...

there is about an inch of crap on the bottom of the lifter valley, the pistons are frozen in place, the bolt that holds that pulley on the end of the crank broke off... i took at the mains off, and 5 pistons out, (i cant turn the crank so the other 3 are stuck until i figure our how to turn to crank...) and the bearings look like new.. the crank should be cut becasue it has scratches in it that are deep enough to catch my fingre nails when i drag it across. i figure that the engine is going to have to be bored out because the cylinder walls are pretty bad looking..

if any one wants pictures i can take them tonight or over the weekend.. how can i get that bolt out of the crank? with all the mains off and the rear main seal off i still cant get the crank to turn, i tryed using a wheel puller to take off the pulley, but it bent the bolts... what should i do?

well thanks for any help...

-neil

soak it penetrating oil to loosen the frozen parts and a impact wrench might also help to loosen it up.

The engine is out of the car? Correct? If so just use a BFH and a piece of round bar stock to bust the pistons. I know that sounds brutal but if they are "stuck" and the cyl walls are bad enough the engine needs bored you wont use em anyway. Some heat applied directly to the top of the pistons with a torch will help if you apply PLENTY of penetrating oil after they hare heated. Just repeat the heat/oil soak deal a few times until the penetrating oil starts to seep between the piston and cycl wall to help free things up.

Ive done the above a few times to tear down junk yard engines that had been sitting without being covered for eons which let snow/rain collect in the bores. Just be careful not to whack the cyl wall with the end of the bar stock.

As for the broken bolt... Prolly hafta drill it and use an easy out or just drill it then retap the crank (a machine shop can do this for a few bucks). Are you using a steering wheel puller or a true harmonic damper puller? Big diff in the two as far as strength.

yeah, engine is out of the car, and i never thought fo just hitting the pistons directly... humm, if that dosent work then i guess i will try the torch method...

i'll keep you informed...

thanks

-neil