You can type here any text you want

Main bearing pics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bluegate

Had some spare time and thought I'd share pics of my main bearings. Just got the car, and the tiny off idle rattle progressivly got worse until i realized what it was. #3 spun.

Attachments

• 20161102_062527.jpg
    20161102_062527.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 374
Looks like everything is junk. Rtv all over the rear seal. Not too bright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah those all look really bad. Last guy that went through that thing really made a mess.

Those look worse than what came out of my old motor. Block main was cracked, all 6 rods were bent and crank was ruined. All went into the scrap pile. I hope you fair better.

Those look worse than what came out of my old motor. Block main was cracked, all 6 rods were bent and crank was ruined. All went into the scrap pile. I hope you fair better.

Thanks, but not really. The original block is 40 over and worn, the crank is 10 under and cheap pistons. Front cover has galling in the pump, random screws all over the motor, turbo is rough as well. Paint and interior are great, so I'll just move on and make it mine.

Damn! Numer 3 cap looks like it heat treated the bearing :eek: blue grey is roughly 550-600 degrees. That fucker had zero oil in there. There's a Kenny engine for sale in the parts section.

Damn that's ugly

Another view of #3. At idle you could not hear anything, only under a load was the crank floppin around

Attachments

• 20161102_062455.jpg
    20161102_062455.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
:eek::eek::eek:

Damn!!!!!! There is nothing left usable in that engine. Whoever did that should be embarrassed.

He never mentioned how many miles on it, his isnt the first and wont be the last, 3 years ago only made it 500 mile on new rebuild. Jim Dunn wised me up, been good to go for three years. I cannot stress enough about getting the correct engine builder for these v sixes. Dont do it yourself,dont get the chevy builder do it for cheap,find the rite person or shop,pay the money and you will be way ahead in the long run, 7000.00 to,10,000 depending on what it is your trying to get out of it.

Ive done a lot of late night reading on here, votex and gnttype. Im working on something from marketplace here, and going from there.

He never mentioned how many miles on it, his isnt the first and wont be the last, 3 years ago only made it 500 mile on new rebuild. Jim Dunn wised me up, been good to go for three years. I cannot stress enough about getting the correct engine builder for these v sixes. Dont do it yourself,dont get the chevy builder do it for cheap,find the rite person or shop,pay the money and you will be way ahead in the long run, 7000.00 to,10,000 depending on what it is your trying to get out of it.
I will have to say if you don't have the mechanical ability to read micrometers, dial indicators, and do automotive math really have no business putting an engine together! Myself as well as Need Boost did our own engines and knock on wood they are still holding. The same machine shop did 3 other ones{complete builds}and they all didn't last 2 or 3 months and didn't the 2nd time either. I also know my limits too, if I was wanting 9sec power I would be calling Cruz, Cal, Bison, etc. Weber has some good engines also.

And $7k-10k is being conservative. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with an LS motor and would have cost me less then half of what I spent doing a v6. Look at all the options before you buy.... Good luck!

Im on the verge of grouchy status, only jaded right now. I almost crossed the line the day i accepted the fact that you will spend no less than $3700.00 in parts for a stout shortblock. Sold my Chevelle for this car and have not looked back, even with this set back. Great forum guys.

I seem to remember you from a few months ago, didnt you post some pics of that chevelle on the site here. I seem to recall that being a really nice car.

And $7k-10k is being conservative. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with an LS motor and would have cost me less then half of what I spent doing a v6. Look at all the options before you buy.... Good luck!

I can understand this view, im just too intrigued about the turbo 6 to consider that now. Im sure by the time someone goes through a few motors, this becomes a better idea financially

Back