You can type here any text you want

Making 105mm throttle body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I've been trying to purchase a 105mm throttle body with a wiggins clamp provision for over a month now. I've decided that I'll just make my own. The throttle arm will be on the right side (actually, left side) too. Everything is designed for the Mustang crowd these days. Arggg! :mad:

I can make several, if anyone thinks they can use one. Otherwise I'll just make one prototype for myself. The more I make, the cheaper the product. Let me know.

It will feature:
Billet 6061 T6 aluminum body.
105mm throttle blade.
Bushed or if possible bearings for throttle shaft.
Throttle shaft seals.
Built-in Wiggins clamp provision (4 inch) or if wanted, normal hose provision.
Variable pull throttle arm.
GM IAC mounting. Not Ford.
GM TPS mounting. Not Ford.
Throttle arm on left side of body. Not right.
At this point, no vacuum fittings.
No coolant preheat passage.
Four mounting holes.

This will be a custom balls to the wall installation piece, so don't expect it to bolt onto a stock application.

I would be interested...... Keep me posted. Do you have the resources to build this? Sounds Awesome.

Pat

With what I've made for my beast up to this point, a throttle body will be a breeze. I've already ordered the Wiggins clamp so that I can get some dimensions from it. I want the bore of the throttle body to match the bore of the clamp for smooth airflow. Kinsler is going to help with some of the components. The body will also be anodized. Haven't decided if it will be clear or colored.

Hee hee! :wink:
Mac. Come by the shop and check out the new upper plenum piece I made for the manifold.

I have a couple pics on my website on the GN Project Page. I didn't realize that there was a byte limit on the pics and I took them at too high a res. I'll work on taking some at a lower res. so I can post them.

I put a slide show of my most recent pictures of the engine on my site. As soon as I can I'm going to trim down the size of it because I'm running into a capacity problem on the server. It may take a day or so to do because the server locks me out for a period of time before I can make the correction. Let me know what you think? A lot of heart when into the building of this engine and I'm pretty proud of it. All the custom fab work you see was done by yours truly. I hope that my project can inspire others to do whatever it takes to pursue their dream of building an engine they can call their own. One of my real pleasures in life is to go to a car show or racing event and study well thought out engine projects of others.

The Adel Wiggins clamp came in today. It has an ID of 4.000". So that is what the ID of the throttle body will be. Next is to source a chunk of aluminum.

DonWG said:
The Adel Wiggins clamp came in today. It has an ID of 4.000". So that is what the ID of the throttle body will be. Next is to source a chunk of aluminum.

Don thanks for the update, I can not wait to see the finished product!

Finally received the throttle plate, shaft and chunk of aluminum. The bore has been finished to 4.000" and the blade will have .005" clearance side to side. The next step will be to locate the throttle shaft in the body. I don't know if anyone else knows this, but did you realize the throttle shaft is located slightly off-center (about 1/16") so that the throttle will be forced to close by air pressure.

The rough machining of the body is finished. Next is to place the throttle shaft.

Attachments

• IMGP0155_resize.JPG
    IMGP0155_resize.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 652
DonWG said:
The rough machining of the body is finished. Next is to place the throttle shaft.

Thank you I was waiting for this!!! :eek:

Wow! Don's not wasting any time! I stopped by the shop on Friday, and it was still pretty much a block of aluminum with a nice hole it in then. He's done a lot of machining in two days. AND, you should see the hand-formed sheet metal plenum Don made up. Beautiful stuff.

I was struck by how big this 105mm TB is. I was telling Don how I had spent Wednesday of last week replacing a rotted-out 4-inch cast iron drain pipe under my house, and I realized that it's the same size! :eek: Yikes!

Technically, the throttle body I'm making is actually a 101.6 mm rather than the common 104 mm available from a few aftermarket sources. The Adel Wiggins clamp restricted my bore size to 4". Close enough. :p

Man, I got to tell ya, to hand machine one of these things, you need to have massive amounts of patience. Several 10 pound bottles with no junk mixed in it. I mean pure, 100% patience. Big shots too. :eek: :wink:

Except for polishing, it's done!

Attachments

• IMGP0158_resize.JPG
    IMGP0158_resize.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 631
Here's a side by side with the old 70mm TB.

Attachments

• IMGP0157_resize.JPG
    IMGP0157_resize.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 594
I hope the TB doesn't dwarf the engine when I get the monster mounted.

Man, that is sweet. I love the Wiggins clamps but can hardly afford one of them by itself, let alone a billet TB. I don't think my little bit could use it, let alone trying to get that thing in my car.

Really, really nice work.

Roger

Back