You can type here any text you want

Making 105mm throttle body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Thanks Roger. I just finished welding the mounting flange to the upper plenum cover today. When I get the cover back on the engine I'll post a pic of the TB on the engine. The TB bolted to the cover on the bench looks wild!

DonWG said:
Thanks Roger. I just finished welding the mounting flange to the upper plenum cover today. When I get the cover back on the engine I'll post a pic of the TB on the engine. The TB bolted to the cover on the bench looks wild!

Hey Don,
the machine work in that looks brilliant! did you cnc machine it yourself?
ive been wanting to make a dual throttle body to suit a whipple blower that i want to use, might i be about the ask for some insight? ie throttle plates, shafts, sensors?

many thanks Simon

buickstage II said:
Hey Don,
the machine work in that looks brilliant! did you cnc machine it yourself?
ive been wanting to make a dual throttle body to suit a whipple blower that i want to use, might i be about the ask for some insight? ie throttle plates, shafts, sensors?

many thanks Simon

The whole project was done on a manual lathe and manual milling machine. I wish I had a CNC machine. I'd go wild with one of those.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Engine is ready to install.

Attachments

• IMGP0177_resize.JPG
    IMGP0177_resize.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 538
Another view.

Alas, I still have to finish the installation of fiberglass doors. At least the hardware is in.

Attachments

• IMGP0174_resize.JPG
    IMGP0174_resize.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 505
holy crap Don! That thing is just discusting!

Tell all the critics Don, "Can your wastegate fit in your throttle body...no, no I didn't think so!" When I eventually upgrade to my t66 I DEFINITLY want in on one of those Don. Make mine black finish.

Don Wang Rolls with the DARKSIDE!!! He said he got pissed from not being able to buy one. Anger leads to hate, hate leads to.....evil....welcome to the darkside Mr. Wang. Use the force within you to create a GN of TERROR!

heh cheers! Patron be flowing.

XxDarkSidexX said:
holy crap Don! That thing is just discusting!

Tell all the critics Don, "Can your wastegate fit in your throttle body...no, no I didn't think so!" When I eventually upgrade to my t66 I DEFINITLY want in on one of those Don. Make mine black finish.

Don Wang Rolls with the DARKSIDE!!! He said he got pissed from not being able to buy one. Anger leads to hate, hate leads to.....evil....welcome to the darkside Mr. Wang. Use the force within you to create a GN of TERROR!

heh cheers! Patron be flowing.

Whoa! Wait an minute! Are you my father?

How many people can say they can fist their throttle body?

Man, that's sooo cool.

Did you completely make the plenum from scratch? I did some hammering to make my air intake but not even close to that thing. It's just awesome.

Nashty said:
Man, that's sooo cool.

Did you completely make the plenum from scratch? I did some hammering to make my air intake but not even close to that thing. It's just awesome.

The whole thing started as flat sheet aluminum. The upper plenum piece is actually 4 different pieces, hammer formed, then welded together. The welds were ground down on the outside and somewhat the same on the inside. The amount of compound curves made it impossible to make it from 1 or even 2 pieces.

John Wilde said:
That looks great, get off the internet and throw it in! :eek:
Sir! Reporting the latest, sir! Engine is in. Doors and lexan are done, but not painted. Fabricating new up pipe. The hole in the hood will need to be made bigger to clear TB and UP. Oooh, she looks good.

The engine is running and I'll be tuning in the upper rpm band this weekend in front of the shop. One problem that has come up with the large throttle body is the touchiness of the throttle control. I've had to develop a variable geometry throttle link. This gives more leverage to crack the throttle open and gives me less blade opening in relation to pedal movement off idle. The way my engine management is set up, I have to be able to control the rpm pretty tightly between 2,000 to 3,300 during tire burnout and staging. We'll see how the link works this weekend.

Be Nice To See A Grapefruit Fit In There....! Wow, That Thing Is Awesome!

Back