You can type here any text you want

making my car into a road course car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87grandnat

I am deciding to do something different with my car, I am going to do the track, x cross, g machine thing. I am trying to find some information about the proper ways to go about making these cars as good as possible at this, I have some 18 bbs rims on the way and am looking at lowering it next but dont know how exactly to go about doing it, I think my ultimate goal would be to enter it in that gumball race they have, that would be very cool!

Any info anyone car give me about making our cars into g machines would be greatly appreciated, I know I have seen some memeber that have there gn setup this way, so I know someone out there couple could teach me some things

Thanks a million,
Joshua

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16496&highlight=Grand+National

That's what I've done to the suspension on mine. Part numbers and all, along with links to all the places that gave me the information I needed to make the choices. For a GN, it does extremely well on an Autocross course. You still can't push it too hard in a slalom or you'll lock up the rear end and spin, but this setup at least responds to steering input, has a lot more front-end bite, body roll is controlled, and doesn't beat you to death on the street.

A warning about Corner-Carvers: Please read the rules before you post ANYTHING or they'll eat you alive.

If you're planning on actually autocrossing it often, you also should add oil coolers for the engine oil and the transmission. I burned up the Redline ATF in my transmission in just three events, and you'll need a puke tank for the valve cover breathers or you're going to spill oil everywhere.

If you're going to be seriously open tracking it, I really think you need to pull the engine and rebuild it with better stuff. Higher volume oil pump, and a turbocharger with a water-cooled center section at a minimum, a baffled oil pan with a windage tray would be good, too. Buick didn't ship these engines ready operate reliably at WOT for long periods or under extreme lateral acceleration. You only have to uncover the pickup for a split second to start spinning bearings.

I have the Wilwood HD front brake kit (10.25x1.25" rotor), but a C5 or LS1 front rotor setup would be better for open tracking. I've managed to fade the Wilwood setup at an autocross in the first run, and that's using Motul 600 fluid and the Wilwood Q compound pads the kit came with. I've since switched to Hawk HPS pads in the front, and it does much better, but I still wouldn't trust them for more than a few laps on a road course.

Dump the Powermaster. It can't be trusted. Go vacuum with a good check valve and a large vacuum resevoir or a vacuum pump, or go manual. Extended runs at high boost with a normal vacuum booster will leave you with no power assist at the end of straight, and that's bad in a 3500+lb car that's moving over 100mph. I don't know enough about Hydroboost to be able to recommend or not recommend it for this application.

Check out the forum at www.Pro-Touring.com, its very good and there are a lot of G bodies on it. I highly recommend you call Marcus at Savitske Classic and Custom his number is 610-346-8805. he does amazing things with Gbody suspension modifications and sells some really nice suspension packages.

above all do your research thoroughly I went through a lot of different setups and bought a lot of overpriced stuff from companys that you more or less pay for the name before I came up with a setup that I was happy with.

If you're planning on actually autocrossing it often, you also should add oil coolers for the engine oil and the transmission
The stock turbo Regal radiator has oil coolers for both the engine and the transmission. Are you suggesting additional coolers, or did you bypass the stock coolers?

Ormand said:
The stock turbo Regal radiator has oil coolers for both the engine and the transmission. Are you suggesting additional coolers, or did you bypass the stock coolers?

Add a transmission cooler, at the least. The transmission cooler in the radiator is not adequate for autocross and open track duty.

Turbo6inKY said:
Add a transmission cooler, at the least. The transmission cooler in the radiator is not adequate for autocross and open track duty.

My experience is that even an add on trans cooler is insufficient. If you're going to do open course you're going to need big everything. Or limit yourself. I found that any event longer than 30 minutes or 55-60 miles in length and my GN would have the temp gauge pegged at 220 which meant it was time to come in and cool down. I could always figure on a trans overhaul for the following week. I retired the car before I had a chance to try a bigger NASCAR style radiator and one of those B&M fluid reserviors. And the temps and hard use was also rough on the powermaster. The internal seals would go to heck from the high temps.

Back