You can type here any text you want

material for frame notch.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

i have been scratching my head for two days now trying to get some 3/16" cold rolled sheet metal do cut out my templates for my fame notch but i am unable to get the stuff.

So here is my question: What type of metal have you guys used to plate your frame notch.

I am huffing about hot rolled and cold rolled steel, cold rolled haveing roughly half the tensile strength of hot rolled, and i want to conserve weight at the same time.

Thanks alot boys,

Adrian

check with GNXkid

here is his site,
Turbo Buick Mods .com
pic are in the parts section, under "frame notch"
good luck

his webiste does not have any info on frame notching anymore.

thanks though,

All you have to do is split the frame at the weld seem, pull the two C channels out. You will see that one C slides into the other and is stopped with some metal stops in the larger of the two C's. Take the smaller C channel and cut it down the the desired size, test fit into the larger channel and then weld the two back together. The only place you will need material for is at the ends of the frame shave. Make sense? You will end up needing very little additional material that way.

i know some people reuse the factory frame rail when notching, but i would like to strengthen the frame by putting something stronger than the factory rail again. This thing is going to get beat up, so proper strengthening is important to me.

I have done them bothe ways. On mine I used the factory frame section I cut out and it is not strong enough. 1/8th is plenty strong enough, but I weld in additional "ribs" in the frame that is welded to the outside plate.

3/16th's is preferable. Cold rolled is unnecessary expense, just get hot rolled. But grind off the mill scale of course.

Alirght after lots of searching, i finally found myself 3/16" hot rolled plate.

Disco stu, i am also putting in 5 vertical ribs along with the front and back end pieces, along with everything else, i hope this will be enough for the a$$ kickin' i am going to give it.

Thanks for your opinions

Adrian

Take some pics of the ribs before you button it up please. Thanks, Scott

Back