Maxima got un maxxed

bsdlinux

Yeah, I like my little Malibu also, it's my daily driver and it's a peppy little car that handles pretty well and gets good gas mileage, and every once in a while I have fun beating up on Neons, Civics, and any other little econo cars that try me;) I have yet to run a Maxima, but I'm sure it would be no challenge for my econo beast LOL:D

Originally posted by Got Boost?
Maximas are very nice family cars but stock I wouldn't call them fast or even quick. The only way a stock maxima would beat a bmw is if it was a 318auto with an M3 badge.
Im pretty positive its was an M3. It had the fender flares, the ones that were made in the late 80s...I think.
Originally posted by Sarah99gxe
Your mom's maxima stock is 190 HP.
were they? oh well...its a "guestamate" though the 300ZX ECU swap made a really big difference. so my "guestamation" is 200-210hp. :D I'm trying to influence her on trading that car for the new 3800SC Regals or the new 3.5L V6 Altimas, too bad she cant drive manual.:rolleyes: I would like her to get the 5-speed option.

Bold words saying a Maxima beat an M3. I'd believe one of the brand new ones with the newest engine might keep up with an old beaten upon M3, but the old 4cyl M3's are not slow by any means. And when it somes to handling.....the Maxima would be in a ditch trying to keep up. The engine that was used in those cars is VERY special. Ever seen the BMW F1 cars from the 80's? It's the same one. Slightly different cam specs and of course the turbo setup wasn't on it. Different engine management as well, but if I'm right(and I usually am) the block is EXACTLY the same. No, the M3's aren't F1 cars, but they do have an awful lot of racing heritage. Tell your story to an M3 owner....

Hmm, just to drop in, a buddy of mine had a 96 M3 stick - completely stock with about 30K on it.

Ran 14.3@92 at Union Grove with a 2.1 60'.

Fun, good handling car, but not particularly "fast". But certainly faster then a Maxima. It may feel peppy to the modern "Fast is a z24" crowd of kids, but in the big picture, if Maxima's were truly fast, more of us would own them for daily drivers! ;)

You don't want think that a new Max is really slow. I have a 2002 SE that my wife drives and it is pretty strong. There are owners that have run mid to low 14's with stock cars. As far as top speed I have seen one GPS checked at 147.7. The speedo read 153. Those numbers will compete with stock hotair cars. They don't respond to mods like a GN though. I also have an 87 GN with intake, exhaust, chip etc. I have also owned a stock WH1 86 with only an exhaust that ran 13.6.
My GN is way quicker but doesn't handle near as well as the Max. It's also much quicker than the 86.

good thing i dont have a stock hotair car.

mines "stock"

they would need half a second to catch to me.. oh wait I put on that DP... make that a full second..

Originally posted by JS02
You don't want think that a new Max is really slow. I have a 2002 SE that my wife drives and it is pretty strong. There are owners that have run mid to low 14's with stock cars. As far as top speed I have seen one GPS checked at 147.7. The speedo read 153. Those numbers will compete with stock hotair cars. They don't respond to mods like a GN though. I also have an 87 GN with intake, exhaust, chip etc. I have also owned a stock WH1 86 with only an exhaust that ran 13.6.
My GN is way quicker but doesn't handle near as well as the Max. It's also much quicker than the 86.
Low 14's? Has anyone verified that? I've seen a 14.6 for the new Altima, but no times for the Maxima. I had a younger guy test driving a new one try to jump on the 72 the other day at lunch, still had the window sticker and everything. Kind of a mismatch, LOL, but after that beating I'd be curious if he bought it.

Oh BTW, good kill!

There have been some posts on Maxima.org that have scanned some stock low 14 second times. These were on engines with low miles. Mine is much faster with 5000 miles than when it was new.
No way is a Max going to compete with a 12.7 car. That's out of it's league. Even supercharged Max's with a lot of mods aren't that fast without NOS.

Maximas are pretty nice all around cars. Probably the baddest all around 4 dr luxury car out there. That being said most people who drive Maximas (newer style) really think that they are Mario Andretti's. The car is quick, but not nearly as quick as they think it is.
My brother's friend got a 2001 Max, top of the line car. We turned on to a straightaway and hit it. Left him really standing there at 16lbs. My car is almost stock with little tuning. When he pulled up he was pretty stunned, but not as much as when I told him I was at 1/2 throttle (2.60 TPS on scanmaster). For an everyday car, really nice, but don't run with the big boys:D .

4Dr Luxury

Originally posted by GNICETRY
Maximas are pretty nice all around cars. Probably the baddest all around 4 dr luxury car out there. That being said most people who drive Maximas (newer style) really think that they are Mario Andretti's. The car is quick, but not nearly as quick as they think it is.

Please let's don't forget the Regal GS 4Door!:D

Originally posted by JS02

Not to mention the fact that the aftermarket support for Maximas is not as strong as GNs, Mustangs, Camaros, Civics, Accords, and Eclipses.

Originally posted by GNICETRY
My brother's friend got a 2001 Max, top of the line car. We turned on to a straightaway and hit it. Left him really standing there at 16lbs. My car is almost stock with little tuning. When he pulled up he was pretty stunned, but not as much as when I told him I was at 1/2 throttle (2.60 TPS on scanmaster). For an everyday car, really nice, but don't run with the big boys:D .

Speaking of 4 door luxury cars [isn't it a 4 door?:confused:] , anyone out there have a line on the new Merc Marauder? I've only seen a couple and haven't heard much about them, but I would imagine with a 300 hp motor they'd be competing with the best of them.

Originally posted by Ken Mild

Speaking of 4 door luxury cars [isn't it a 4 door?:confused:] , anyone out there have a line on the new Merc Marauder? I've only seen a couple and haven't heard much about them, but I would imagine with a 300 hp motor they'd be competing with the best of them.

The Marauder is pretty cool, but 300 HP doesn't move that much weight down the track very fast. It is a high 14 low 15 sec car.

Remember, this is onlt the first new Marauder. i think htey have more up their sleeves for it at Mercury! ;)

I saw the "review" of the merauder (if you want to call it a review, it was actually a paid advertisement by ford made to look like a 1/2 hour show reviewing the car) and 0-60 was mid 7 seconds. 1/4 mile was up in the upper 15's. 300HP isn't enough to make a 4000 lb + car a "performance car". Nice advertising campaign and focusing on those autometer gages to make the car a hot rod POSER. But damn, I'm VERY disappointed. I was thinking the next Impala SS for this decade. Unfortunately it's nothing more than a lincoln towncar with some cool gages in the center console.

I think ford is doing the same thing Pontiac's about to do with the new GTO. Trying to cash in on the big names of the past. Ford also did it with the new T-bird. T-bird is interesting but not at all a performance vehicle of ANY type. Just wait, 10 years from now you'l hear of a new Camaro or Firebird. And when they come out they will be front wheel drive 4-banger econo boxes like the Nova's of the 80's.

Derrick

I can't believe this conversation is really happening...

I second that! This was one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time. I hear the new Focus will run a 16! Gotta get one of those.

Originally posted by tazgn
I was thinking the next Impala SS for this decade. Unfortunately it's nothing more than a lincoln towncar with some cool gages in the center console. Derrick

HA, more like an overpackaged Crown Vic. Now if they were to drop in the supercharged '03 Cobra motor...

Does anyone know the difference between the 4.6 in the Crown Vic (and I assume the Marauder) and the one in the Mustang GTs?

The Maurauder's 4.6 is 32v and supercharged putting out 302 hp. The stock GT's 4.6 (and the CV Police Package) is around 260 and 16 v and naturally aspirated. The Civilian CV and Lincoln Town Car is around 220 hp.

Supercharged, really... Where'd you read that? You might wanna check your info.
Doesn't say a thing about it on Mercury's Marauder Page.
Plus 302HP is awfully whimpy compared to the cobra engine. From what I read the Marauder engine is using a cobra lower intake with a different upper intake, which uses two throttle bodies.