ME 8 position vs. 16 position

turboost

My car is going to be about a 90% street and 10% track car. I was looking at the ME website and was debating on the 8 0r 16. I don't really know what the last 8 positions do on the 16 ME but if they come in handy in the future I will save up a little more and get it but does anyone who has the 16 use all the positions to tune? Just seeing if I really need to cough up the extra $100 and learn to use all the functions. Thanks

you can get by with the 8 pos with Blue Tops.....bigger injectors require the 16.......the 16 will give you two timing settings with adjustable fuel curves for each (street & track) the 8 has fixed timing for each setting

The 16 position comes in handy with larger injectors...say 42.5# and up...allows a lot more fine tuning.

Give Steve Yaklin a shout. He will be happy to explain things

Is the 16 the only one that allows the adjustment of timing through out the rpm band? B/c that is the main thing I am looking for is being able to adjust the timing.

the timing on a 16 pos (like mine) is at 19* street and 26* race...not adjustable

Mine is set for 18* street 24* race.

I think there's a cruise adjustment and a KR trigger than can be activated with a 16...also some other adjustments.

Acually, it depends on how Steve programs the timing...there is no user adjustable timing but some of the chips have variable timing built into them. Two of mine are set up for alky on the first 7 positions...one starts at 21 degs and goes to 22 degs at 4000 rpm and 23 degs at 4400 rpm.

I think the other one starts at 19 degs. This helps with transitional knock.

The 8 position swith normally has two positions for 93 octane with 18 degs and 5 positions for race gas at 24 degs or whatever he programs.

The 16 position has 7 positions at lower timing and 8 positions with more for race gas.

Do you still use the MAF with the ME,,as of now I have the Trans+ ,,could I get rid of it and go ME,,car is 100% street driven:D

The normal ME is intended for use with a maf. The Translator and a 3 or 3.5" maf work fine with the ME.

Steve is working on a ME Race that does not require a maf at all. The prototypes seem to be working well.