"Met Jamie at BG"

lurk around on the modular mustangs forum in the e85/e98 section and you will see IC's being removed as a restriction and added weight -especially by the e98 guys ;) the fuel does plenty of charge cooling for them it appears

Yeah but if you can afford 9.00+ a gallon for E98 plus deliver fees more power to you... However it's true a lot are doing away with the itnercoolers.

Interesting, for some reason I thought it took a lot more E85 than regular gasoline. I was getting around 20 MPG, so a 2 MPG drop isn't really any big deal.

stoich for e85 is 9.87 , stoich for e10 which is what most of us get at the pump nowadays is 14.13 so it takes around 30% more fuel with e85 with no changes to take advantage of the different fuel such as run more timing , run higher compression ratios ,etc..

also factor in that e85 is typically 20% less money than premium pump gas which is what you would be replacing in any boosted application

fuel more often -yes

cost more - slightly unless you figure the costs to change over to the fuel (larger fuel pump & injectors primarily )

I see I need to pick you brain more. What will it be when they switch to E15 at the pump?

I know here E85 runs 2.29 per gallon, premium most of the summer was 2.89 but like I mentioned I previously ran straight 110 race fuel which runs about 5.89 per gallon, to me it was a no brainer, save 3.50 per gallon and get no detonation.

should be around 13.91 for e 15 - Quick math whereas the e10 number I got stright out of a well respected efi tuning book:

advanced engine management & tuning by Greg Banish - best $17 you can spend :biggrin:

So, on straight E85, is it safe to start tuning at 10.5:1 A/F on say 23/21 timing? It sound like this may be cool to try but Im wondering if the Stoch is different then is tuning? Sorry if its been answered before.

Hi Jason, that is a good question. The Air Fuel ratio is dependent on the scale your A/F ratio instrument is using.

Most A/F instrumentation is scaled to gasoline. E-85 when measured on a meter scaled to gasoline for power would be between 10.5 on the rich side to 12.7 on the lean side, for an NA engine

Due to the various scales I am trying to just use Lamda which for all fuels Stoichiometric is 1. So the range for wide open throttle operation for E-85 under a Lamda scale would be .714 on the rich side and .864 on the lean side, for an NA engine.

I use the following table when comparing fuels.

Air%20Fuel%20Ratio%20Chart.jpg

I would be more aggressive with the timing unless you are at a very high level of boost.

Here is an PDF version of the table to download
Download comparison table