modified 8445 heads

buickguy85

this is prolably a dumb question - but.............
I had my heads modifed by a local head shop in indy. I supplied all the parts, ruffed in the gasket match on the intake side. and started to smooth out the exhaust ports when he called and said for me to bring them to him. I only got one exhaust port smoothed. He finsihed the intakes, installed the bigger valves, set the spring heights, flowed them, and resurfaced them. I didnt get a flow sheet to see what they were actually flowing. all I was told is that you couldnt get anymore flow out of them. my question is - he didnt do anymore with the exhaust ports - is that going to make a difference? I dont want to have to pull the heads back off after the motor is back in the car.
Can anyone tall me what the best and worse cased scenario will be for this situation?:confused:
thanks,
buickguy

If you only touched one exhaust port, then yes, there is more to be gained by finishing the others. I don't know why the shop would tell you that you couldn't get anymore out of them! Why would people get heads ported if it didn't do anything??

It won't hurt anything to install them as is, but if you want to get the most out of the heads, finish the exhaust ports. The only downside is that you will have to disassemble the heads to do this. If you do disassemble make sure you keep reinstall the valves, springs, shims, etc exactly where they came out of. This will ensure your valve heights are correct (assuming the machine shop did it and did it correctly).

HP wise, maybe +/- 10-15HP or so depending on your combination. Hope this helps.

Aaron

heads

This is why I would always go to champion racing heads, weber racing, DLS, etc. Because you will get proven results. Not someone just being lazy and telling you something to get you to go away. Tell him to flow them and then port them and reflow them for some real world results. Then he can be the judge. :eek: