You can type here any text you want

modify drivers side stock motor mount to make solid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Anybody take and weld a small piece of steel between the two halves of the stock drivers side MM to keep from buying a high dollar one? I would leave the pass stock.... and just put a couple of metal straps between the two halves and weld it up....

Anything to save a $$

I figured if it didn't work you are out less than $20.

Thought about it with a small variation, but never did.
I wanted to weld the ends (only!) of 2 links of a chain (ghetto style ;) ) as to maintain the stock compression of the rubber mount, yet have the limited "mount expansion" under tension of a solid mount under load.
Hard to explain, it is in my head .............. :p

I ended up with 2 H&R mounts and called it a day. :cool:

...maybe even a little better.....Lee Thompson and I both have a solid steel rod, flattened on both ends, that run from the back of the head down to the a-arm. Keeps the motor from twisting yet it's still sitting in flexable "bed"..........clear as mud?......maybe LeeO will chime in with more info.

Thought about it with a small variation, but never did.
I wanted to weld the ends (only!) of 2 links of a chain (ghetto style ;) ) as to maintain the stock compression of the rubber mount, yet have the limited "mount expansion" under tension of a solid mount under load.
Hard to explain, it is in my head .............. :p

I ended up with 2 H&R mounts and called it a day. :cool:

I Like it!

Maybe I will be the first gunea pig.....

Drill a hole and put a 3/8" bolt. Cost >$1.
Just be sure it clears the frame bracket to mount thru bolt.
Hillbilly engineering ;)

Drill a hole and put a 3/8" bolt. Cost >$1.
Just be sure it clears the frame bracket to mount thru bolt.
Hillbilly engineering ;)
that's the easiest way to fix the old Chevy V8 mounts that like to come apart. just drill a 5/16" hole all the way thru the mount, then run a 3/8" drill thru one half of the mount and the rubber. tap the remaining 5/16" hole to 3/8" course thread, screw the proper length bolt in it and call it a day. a small dab of red loctite on the threads might not be a bad idea.

Warning... old thread....

Well ... I did it.... take a look....

Think it will work?

I did this to the front and back side of the drivers side motor mount.... Took about 20 minutes...

Attachments

• IMG00014.jpg
    IMG00014.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG00015.jpg
    IMG00015.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 305
Warning... old thread....

Well ... I did it.... take a look....

Think it will work?

I did this to the front and back side of the drivers side motor mount.... Took about 20 minutes...
Figured I'ld pull this back up. Did this little idea work?

Figured I'ld pull this back up. Did this little idea work?

Well, I have only put about 1000 miles on the car and one track trip with only 2 passes... and only with the stock turbo. Best pass was a 12.34 @ 113.47 with a 1.73 60' time. I really wasn't able to punish it very hard. I have my new tranny to install in the next couple weeks and a PT51 turbo to install before going back to the track..... hoping for some sub 11.50's in the heat and better 60' times. As I can make more track outings, I can put my motor mount to the test...... but so far.... so good.

Well at least it will limit movement without those stupid straps.

Here is my 2 fixes. Passenger side motor mount has over 3k miles on it. Also no roll cage in car.

e2ec69b4.jpg

4bfc80fb.jpg

78509834.jpg

af3f0d30.jpg

618de184.jpg

0b2f661c.jpg

8ab171d3.jpg

4e84121a.jpg

I currently have something similar to the turnbuckle thingie too. Do I see tabs welded to the motor mounts?

Adding the 1/4 x2 angle iron sure with taking the twist out of the car. Really pickes the front end up pretty even.

The route I did should not transfer any vibrations from the engine into the car as bad as a true solid mount might....... but still keep the motor mount from coming apart as the engine rocks over on a hard launch.

My concern would be the U pieces will bend up when the mounts stretch. I was thinking the bolt through the mount but getting alittle longer bolt and using a hard rubber washer so it would have some to stretch b/f it holds it tight. Would have to check clearences for that idea though.

Back