MOLDEX CRANKSHAFT MACHINING-long

gncatman

If anyone is considering Moldex for crank machining, please read this first!!!

I took a raw BMS forging to Moldex on Dec 8, 04 to be machined. Whitey told be it would be 6-8 weeks and about $1100.00. I called after 6 weeks and was told "2-3 more weeks". I called the last week of Jan. and they said "2 more weeks". When I called on Feb. 21st, I was told "it needs to be nitrided and polished. Should be done by the end of the week." Called on Feb 25th and was told "they have to cut the keyway and finish the flexplate bolt holes. Should be done on Monday." Called Feb 28th, was told " not done yet, be done the end of the week." Called on Friday Mar. 4th and was shocked when they said" two to three weeks".

I asked to speak to someone in charge and was given to "Bob". All he would say was that it wasn't done, didn't know when it would be, because the machinist was going on vacation.
When I questioned him further, he said they shouldn't have taken the job, they don't like doing them beause they're hard to machine, and none of the guys want to work on them. I asked how much had been done and he didn't know. I said I'd come get my crank and not pay them for what was done. He said he'd go check and when he came back to the phone, he said he'd found one that the mains were cut and he wouldn't charge me for it. I asked if they were open on Saturday and if he would be there. He said yes they were open till noon and he would be there.

I drove the hour from my house to their shop on Saturday to discuss this further with Bob. I got there at 9:30 am and found out Bob hadn't come in. There was a raw forging laying on the floor with the mains roughed and little else done to it. The guy that was there had no answers for me other than they got busy and my crank sat on a shelf. I asked if he was sure this was my crank and he said 'we wouldn't swap it on you." I asked how long it normally takes to get a crank machined and he said 6-8 weeks. He didn't know why mine had taken so long, or when it could get finished. He didn't know who I spoke to when I was told it only needed nitriding and polishing. He didn't even know if Bob was going to be in on Monday.

I left the crank there on the floor. I figured if I took it, they would think I was accepting it and they were off the hook. At this point, I don't know if that was my crank or someone elses, I've been without my crank for 12 weeks with no finish date in sight, and I can't trust anyone at Moldex to tell me the truth.

If anyone has suggestions, my ears are open.

Holy hell batman!!!:eek: :eek:

I feel your pain. The "hard" excuse is B.S. If the crank takes more work then that's why they charge what they do for the job. It is obvious they did not work on the piece very long. Maybe the crank is messed up? I would not accept anything short of a finished product with a reciept in case you need to haul them to court if it isn't done right.

Chris,

That really sucks. I have had good experience with Moldex..............but thinking back, I was not in a hurry, and I had two cranks made at one time. I'll bet it took them a good 4 months to finish two cranks............. and it was the middle/end of the summer. This time of year is really crunch time for engine builders and parts suppliers. Us little guys are easy to ignore and treat like dirt.

The options for crank finishing are looking pretty bad if you can't count on Moldex.

LA Billet
Scat
Crower

TA performance has 3.625 Crower cranks on the shelf. But they ain't cheap.

Sorry to hear that catman. I had mine done by them and they did a great job, but like Dave says I was not in a hurry either.

TurboTR

Maybe you can just start anew and ask them to give you a no bs answer on when they can actually get to it.

TurboTR

Well, after two days of Bob not being in the building when I called, I left a message for him to call me. I got a call back from Joe, who was the guy I sopke to on the Saturday I went there. He still insisted that the crank he showed me was mine. After some discussion, I agreed to leave the crank there for them to finish it. He told me it would "probably " be finished on the 25th, but there was no guarantee it would be done. I'm supposed to call on the 23rd to check on the progress.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I called Joe on the 24th and was told it was close but not done yet. He said it would probably be done on Monday the 28th. Joe called me on the 28th before I had a chance to call them and said it was done. So I went and picked it up that afternoon.

I really looks good. I had them leave some extra material on the mains and rods so I could have it custom ground by my engine builder. I swear Whitey quoted me $1100 or $1150 to machine it, but the bill was only $700.00. All in all, I'm pettty satisfied with the work.
Certainly not with the time it took, though.