You can type here any text you want

monte ss tranny into WE4

• Thread starter Thread starter SLOS-10
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
S

SLOS-10

I have a 200-4R out of a montecarlo ss that I want to put into the WE4 I am purchasing this weekend(if I can make it up there this weekend). The stock tranny in the car is slipping. Will I be ok if I switch over the converter, valve body, and govenor into the monte ss tranny from the WE4's tranny???I plan to rebuild the stock tranny, but I have to have something to get by with until then. All help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. thanks

If the monte trans is good

I'd just use the converter out of the we4. Take the pan off the monte ss trans, take the governor out, and remove the spring off the big weight of the governor and run it like it is untill you get the WE4's trans built. The monte ss trans is pretty close in calibration to the WE4's trans.

well, I need them to be a whole lot similar lol
I'll just switch the converter, valve body, and govenor, and then put in a shift kit. Will I be good to go then???

That will be fine too

If you want to swap all the stuff over with a shift kit, you should be good to go. Make sure the spacer plate off the we4 goes with the valve body onto the monte trans.

whats the spacer plate..never torn into one of these..and probably still won't be doing it, but need to know the little stuff just so I can tell the guy doing it what to do :)

Its a

thin steel plate sandwiched between the case and the valve body. If your going to be swapping you'll need the spacer plate, new valve body gaskets, valve body, governor, governor cover gasket, accum houshing gasket, pan gasket and new filter {a nice touch} and the speedo driven gear. That should be about it.

If you're going to be rebuilding the WE4 transmission to put back into the car, I'd just run the Monte transmission as is. If you want your speedometer to be dead accurate, just switch governors.

I'd leave the valve body/separtor plate alone, especially if you've never worked on one of these before. That'll save you some time and effort and you won't need to strip those items back off the Monte trans to go back in your WE4 transmission down the road.

tell me exactly what I will experience with the monte ss tranny instead of the WE4's???? shift points different??? what exactly is different? I don't wanna do this if it going to screw with how my car runs.

I ran a built Monte SS tranny in my stock GN for about 1000 miles. The reason it was in the car is cause the original owner got screwed when she got her tranny done previously. They just swapped it out and i didnt know any better at the time. Anyway, it was a great tranny til the second gear band burned out. They rebuilt it again, it lasted a day. Then i started to do some research. Good thing she paid for the rebuild and not me.

Scott

That CZ trans is every bit as good as any BRF. Period!
All you need to do is install a GN servo or a billet one. To be honest as Greg said , I would just install as is and run. I will bet anybody side by side a BRF and CZ could not be told apart in performance , other than servo diameter. Driving would be the same. I have a few customers that requested a cz for their Turbo Regal, because one of the only differences in the cz is the fact they kickdown earlier in the throttle position. With some combos and turbo configs this could be a beneficial thing. Think about it.... Anyway , bolt it in........:D

Will I have any problems with shift points, stuff like that. If its a good rebuild, how long do I have before it starts to head south
?????
How big of a deal is it to change over servo's?

I just read another thread that said not to switch servo's etc. unless you change the govenor and valve body too...grr...what to do...how far off will my speedo be???

Servo, No need. Just put trans in. Speedo will be off a little but as long as you know how much you are ok. As far as shift points, bet you do not even notice.

I'm comin after you if something goes wrong LOL
j/k
well thanks for the help...any other info I may need is also much appreciated

monte ss trans

I just pulled the monte ss trans from my G.N. and replaced it with a BRF. The biggest problem I had,besides the speedo being off 10% was the plug on the pass. side for the factory computer( the pin out was different, my ecm thought I was always in third gear)
this might not be a problem unless you are runing the factory chip, because it pull the boost back in 3rd and 4th gear.I'm sure it can be rewired to work,or I could be wrong?
but that is what my CZ trans did in my car.
The BRF is in there now and I love it.
later.
john

P.S.

And I forgot,my reverse lights never worked until I reinstalled the BRF
Hope this helps.
john

I don't know that I like that idea....ok..one more question...would I be able to just put a shift kit in the tranny to get by for a while???

VERY old thread but i'd like someone to answer the ECM plug and reverse lights question please :)

Ecm plug is different yes, but VERY easily changed.
Reverse lights are an amazing coincedence as the switch is in the column.:p

Bruce
WE4

Originally posted by SLOS-10
....ok..one more question...would I be able to just put a shift kit in the tranny to get by for a while???

If it was a quality rebuild and the original VB is still in it, by all means bolt it in and go. Do a search on here of "4 pin connector" or "pin out" and you should find the info you need on fixing the connector. :D

Back