You can type here any text you want

More on the GS Nats, complaints??? The Buick "thing" in general

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yep ed. I went to Ohio in 99. wait .. that was at the other track up by sandusky. VERY nice..:) anyway

Maybe the weather forecast did cause a few to stay home or not bring the car along, but the pits were full and people were parked way pass the scales.

My family had a great time, as always. BG is our home one-week a year with lots of great friends. I have raced at a lot of modern tracks and they stink compared to BG. That track is a step back in time and that is why so many people love it. I will say the new restrooms near the vendors were super.

We had a couple from Montgomery with us. This was the first time for them. They just purchased a '70 GS and were amazed by this event and by the up close action on the track. They have been going to shows and races for many years, but never been around such a class event. They are already planning next year. They are also shopping for a GN or another GS.

I have not missed a Nats since '91 and have always had a great time, well except for Columbus. I want to say thanks for all the people who make it possible.

"I personally feel the organization and professionalism of the GS Nats has been on the rise at a rapid rate for the last 3 years"-Bill Anderson

I could not agree with Bill Anderson more. We have some caring people in the right places.

Ohio flat out sucked...I cant' even type all the reasons it would be so long...at the top of which there was no Tattle Tails :)

The Nationals are always my favorite event of the year but the schedule has to be more "FLEXIBLE" to adjust to the situation at hand. I know I may be beating a dead horse, but NO WAY should the car show winners be cruisin down the strip for an hour while rain clouds are on the horizon and a possilbe washout is predicted for the next day! And what was up with letting those dopey mini vans cut in line to race a couple times? At the least, the mini vans should have got in line to race and wait a couple hours to run like everyone else. At least the mini van drivers could have caught a couple hours sleep laying in the back in the staging lanes like everyone else. Another suggestion is to arrange have something besides 110 octane gas available at the track!

In Columbus, we had to "run out of the groove" even with BFG Drag Radials. It was nice track in a very poor location with no shade or anything to do within 20 miles of the track. Bowling green is the best spot for the Nationals. I have been going the past 15 years but there are less vendors every year... except for the same handfull of loyal supporters. Maybe the GSXTRA should give these vendors free publicity to reward them for their club support! Paul

If you're a Buick guy, the Nats are by far, the biggest Buick bash that there is. Even with 2/3rds of early 90s attendance, there's more Buicks in one place than you'll ever see. It came off pretty well. I have no complaints. There was no shortage of Buicks and Buick race cars in the pit area........not what I would call a light turnout. The weather forcast was terrible and I'm sure kept a lot of people from coming out. The GSCA thanks God it didn't rain 'cause it would've been all their fault. I just went to meet and greet people I've met on this board. Who cares if car crap wasn't there........they wouldn't be able to write anything because there were NO CHEVIES there. YEAAAAAAAAY!!!! :D

Hmmm, OK. So the event was a "1" to some people and a "10" to others. I would have to say that some people either don't understand what the Nationals is all about and/or they've never tried to coordinate a racetrack/event before.

Jim Midolo - Sorry that none of our strip clubs are named Tattle Tails. But there are probably 5 gentleman clubs for every one in Bowling Green. Hehe. Jim Midolo.

Oh - Frank, you did go to Columbus in '99. You stayed at my house!

Sheeeat, when I was in Columbus, I didn't want to leave the hotel parking lot...that place did NOT look safe. That later proved to be the case a local junkie decided to take his life a few doors down at the Shell station near where I was staying...F that man...that place couldn't have been any more IN DA HOOD!

Oh ,yea, and I caugth that "JIM" comment too punk!!

Hey, what's up with them "indestructable" headgaskets??? Now they've been Simpsonized they can't be called that no more!!

2 years ago the window air conditioner at tattle tails was not working on the bar side. that sucked. somebody must have snatched one out of their trailer and shoved it in the window cause it was cool this year.

holy crap Scott. you are right. LOL Im gettin old and everything is going together lol.. I have been to Norwalk AND Columbus. Thought both were fun!

Originally posted by Scott231
Hmmm, OK. So the event was a "1" to some people and a "10" to others. I would have to say that some people either don't understand what the Nationals is all about and/or they've never tried to coordinate a racetrack/event before.

Jim Midolo - Sorry that none of our strip clubs are named Tattle Tails. But there are probably 5 gentleman clubs for every one in Bowling Green. Hehe. Jim Midolo.

Oh - Frank, you did go to Columbus in '99. You stayed at my house!

Originally posted by jmidolo
Hey, what's up with them "indestructable" headgaskets??? Now they've been Simpsonized they can't be called that no more!!
Hehe, thanks for the comment 'Jim'. I haven't pulled the heads off yet. Don't know if it was an installation problem (see above) or a fuel:air/detonation problem that happened.

Someone...will have to answer about these gaskets:mad:

I think from the reports i hear this year that attendance is falling. Roberta Vasilow made a great point, that people cant afford to go to a week race anymore like they used to have been able to, especially in the midst of a recession. The racing pays nothing except for pride. The quantity of fast cars has decreased as they are going to Kearney Nebraska and especially Morocco , Cecil county, and above all NORWALK!!!:) which has proven to be now , at least to me , the premier buick event. That is the fastest track except Cecil County, its probably one of the 5 best tracks in the nations, with park for an army , a clean pit area, and a track surface that sticks better than anywhere ive ever been to.

I think for the gs nats to stay around: they must increase payouts, make a better and more organized racing/show schedule. From what i heard this year it was anything but orgazined. Bill Andersons comments are somewhat funny. I agree somewhat with him that more people are coming but the lack of fast cars is hurting the gs nats. Used to be a lot more fast v8s here and the fact the v8 super 16s dont get as much when they are probably spending as much or more than a turbo car is ridiculous. I cant say the BPG event will fit like a glass slipper but you know they have looked at the gs nats and seen the complete lack of organization. Im glad the track problem this year was fixed at least to some individuals who i have talked to . Finally after years of debate they fixed it. Ive never heard of a car count so low in a car show at bg or the fact that neither super 16 v8 or turbo made an entire field. I still like going to bg but there must be major changes in order for it to stay around. I think with Norwalk being there, a BPG national event now, there is going to be some competition and people are going to pick the one they like the most over any other one, if if comes down to the fact they can only attend one event per year.

Hopefully BG will always be here, lets just hope they make changes so they will not become a statistic.

Originally posted by VETKILR
The quantity of fast cars has decreased as they are going to Kearney Nebraska and especially Morocco , Cecil county, and above all NORWALK!!!:) which has proven to be now , at least to me, the premier buick event.

Speaking of Kearney Nebraska, the BUICK races are set for July 19th this year. Hope to see some new faces this year. We will be camping at the track friday night and racing all day saturday. Kearney has a large car show this same weekend so if your planning on attending, get your rooms now.

Well Tony, I dont know what you find funny about my comments. Have you ever qualified or raced in the super 16 or any other class at the GS Nats to determine if it was unorganized? Have you won? What was the payout?You probably shouldnt really rag on a class or suggest it be changed if you dont intend to race in it.I only won the event once but I believe it paid $1500 or $2000. I split it once as it started to rain, I was on the finals once with Puddin (from Conleys), we agreed to split, I have been in the Semi's several times and I believe it pays $500, and I have been runner up twice, I think it paid $1000. I also thought the big block s16 paid out the same as the turbo s16 and while I am not a big fan of all the racket the big block cars make while practically not going anywhere, this is their event too and in no way possible could you ever compare the cost of a frame off concourse restoration of the rarest GSX to the cost of a full blown FAST turbo V6 race car.
I am glad the BPG will be holding an event and we will try our best to be there, Cecil Co. is 30mins form me, we will be there as well. I am a member of the GSCA and while I dont like alot of the things they do or what goes on, I still plan on attending , not for the money and not for the benefit of the club, I have voiced my opinions on all this in the past to MANY!!, I really think things have improved.You will not find the large amount Buicks in one place at one time anywhere.
Bill Anderson

Hey Bill im glad i got ur attention. Your opinion obviously dictates the turbo car attitude which i endorse since im both an owner and a lover of them. But the v8 super 16 cars should get as much as the turbo 16 guys do. They are harder in some ways and are slower than turbo guys. Yes i have never raced at bg but this is the first year ever the track has been quality enough for people to race on it. last year i saw cars like mike garrisons gs skateboarding all over the track like an 18 wheeler on an ice skating rink. that was ridiculous in itself. i do agree for the turbo guys it pays well but bernie rekus, sponsorship guy for gs nats says money only goes where provider wants it too. the biggest players do come from both turbo and v8 guys but ta is to me the king of performance and their main thing is 455 even though they have the new turbo block and are now getting into turbo parts. i will not argue the turbo guys get underpaid. but the v8 guys do. they may make more noise then run, but they are what the club is founded on. i have a lot of v8 friends some who run super 16. lots of the faster guys dont even show up to race b/c the money for them doesnt even cover their fuel expenditures for a week of racing. i agree with you that bg is the biggest buick event currently, but for how long we will see by next year in august. dont get me wrong i still support the gs nats (stepfather is member since 1985) and though ive never been a member i try to back them up when someone accuses them of wrongdoing. But they must pay out more to everyone equally and no one sided bs. if you go to norwlak you can already see and talk to some big name turbo guys like luman and others who only run at norwalk , a because it pays better for the faster cars and b b/c comparing norwalk to bg in traction is like comparing the usa to brazil in military strength. its a no brainer norwalk is the obvious winner! I think you haev a fast car and one that is very nice looking i have seen you run before. but dont bash v8 guys b/c they are not as fast as you. turbos car are great i wouldnt own one if i didnt like them but please give everyone their share. the gs nats used to be equal amout of gs and trs now its like 6 trs to one gs . do i think the reason is trs are easier to make faster, they are more abundant in number, they are easier to find parts for and therefore less expensive to run , i agree. but please give the v8s their due. everyone in a club should have a say and each ones vote is equal. no one should have power over each other in these discrepancies. Oh and in terms of knowing how much cars cost i have a family friend who races pro stock named Mark Pawuk. i know how much cars cost and i know 8 sec trs like your cost big $$. the money u race for should be higher for both trs and v8s i just if u give money to that class it should be given to general fund instead of to either super 16 v8 or turbo and not the other one. Hope to see you at quaker , bill , track is slower b/c its uphill but still a very nicely run track! good luck with your car and didnt mean to mock or ridicule you just wanted to state a point!

Also the gs nats must do more for restoration and move for reproductive parts for gs. they are hard enough to find and pay more and we need this help to. they are losing a lot of vendors and they need to push for v8 products. later on they will haev to do this for turbo cars too as more of them are becoming extinct (mine is probably one of the few left thats a low mileage, original tired car with few mods, ta 49 turbo car , 2.5 ss exhaust, hot wire fuel pump , chip and adjustable fuel press regulator, and original tires with 22k miles that are soon to be replaced!) Not trying to flame just hope gs nats doesnt get more money hungry and starts to trully focus on its members!

they need to move it back to june. it always rains in may and people stay away knowing it is going to rain. that also spaces it out from norwalk a little. they also need to quit sticking it to people who don't pre-register. i had some friends come down from louisville with the 40's model buick and it cost them 125 bucks to get them and the car in for the show friday. they were mad but had already driven 2 hrs. so they stayed. some people show up who heard about the nats but aren't members and have to pay 35 to join, 50 to register then 18 bucks to get in. they should be glad to be getting new members and not rape them at the gate.

Wow, some of you make the most piss-poor arguments...:rolleyes: And I don't mean Billy Andersen.

Back