You can type here any text you want

More on the GS Nats, complaints??? The Buick "thing" in general

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by FlyinGN
When I read Brady Perry I was like *wow*. A name that I have not heard in years., Wonder where he is? I used to crew with Joe Copson.. Fun days those were..

I've also been around since the beginning. Brady was in our local club and I saw him about a year ago.

He's got a new wife and is driving a semi (over the road trucking). Seemed healthy and happy and enjoying life!

This is my second year in a row at the nats and I must say it was MUCH better than last year, but far from perfect. I applaud John for trying out some new things this year like the "guess your ET" race for the car show people. They were trying to get more people to run their cars and I think it worked great.

The only real problem I saw in this years nats was the scarcety of the announcing. They need to be more vocal and talk more about what is going on and what is coming up in the program; or at least hand one out with you reg packets so if you are somewhere where you cannot hear the announcements you aren't totally screwed.

We had some rain saturday up until the mid-afternoon so that program got shortened...nothing we can do about the weather. However, it would have been nice to have a GSCA rep present at the front gate to notify people what was going on and who was all present down at the track before one paid $18 to get in to find out for themselves. I had my GSCA membership with me and the people at the gate still wanted $18 to get in and said I had to goto some tent and get reimbursed for the extra fee once I got down there -- thats a little BS to me. If you are charging admission at the gate for a rainy day, you need to have a GSCA rep present before you pay to let you know what will be going on and what won't.

I was in BG on thursday, friday, saturday I think everything worked out good the track seemed to be hooking good and everyone was not waiting in the lanes forever to race. I also think the weather turned out to be o.k. I just wish everyone would stop complaining about money and organization of the events. Their just arent enough cars left to have a big payout and car turn out.
We dont own Mustangs were their are thousands of cars to race and show, and to aquire big corporate sponsers to put up big money. We should be grateful for places like A.T.R to make it a little fun for us. Im just trying to be realistic not complain. I had fun, raced my car, met some new people, saw some fast cars and learned some new things, thats what makes the event worth while for me and I will also return every year.

John McKinnon

Originally posted by Darth Fiero
................The only real problem I saw in this years nats was the scarcety of the announcing. They need to be more vocal and talk more about what is going on and what is coming up in the program; or at least hand one out with you reg packets so if you are somewhere where you cannot hear the announcements you aren't totally screwed.

We had some rain saturday up until the mid-afternoon so that program got shortened...nothing we can do about the weather. ............

You bring up a couple good points I would like to address.

An announcer would be great - the job is open if you would like it!:) If you know someone that would like to do it, please let us know. Like most of the event jobs done by members, it is a "volunteer" position.

On that same note, it would be impossible to announce drivers in their cars as most do not fill out their tech form with all the info, like class they run, so it does not get entered into the computer.

Also, if you received a packet, the program has the 5 day event program on page 3. Yes, due to weather it can and does change and this is announced over the PA system. Actually, the entire race program was run including a few extras, and finished about 6:30 Saturday. Nothing was "shortened" or omitted in the race program this year.

I am with NOJUG !!!
I really enjoyed the whole event and cannot find much of anything to be critical of. Great Job to all those who played a role in making this happen. Cannot wait until next year..

As for an announcer, When I used to go from 1988 - 1993, there was a great announcer that was their every year. He had a local accent, so I just assumed he came with the track.. Where is he ??
Did he retire ??? He was an excellent announcer with a great sense of humor.

I wanted to chime in although I am by no means an ‘old_timer’ to the nationals… so keep in mind this is my thoughts on this years event and not years past. For what its worth I had a pleasant time and generally enjoyed the event as well as meeting people and putting faces with nicks. I do think that Bill’s email was interesting in the respect that it compares the old to the new; my thoughts are not to demolish his thoughts only to elaborate on my own.

My first opinion is that if you are going to race cars from 10:30am to 5:30pm you should have a tech there at least until 5:00pm. I couldn’t make a pass on Tuesday because I couldn’t find any tech rep. In fact on Wed. we had to wait on the guy about 30-45 min. to get taken care of.

I wanted to also note that I will NEVER go round around my car. So for all the people that asked me about not making a 2nd round qualifying pass for Q16 (we were # 2 qualifier in round 1 after lifting), here is my reply; I am sorry but I will NOT let my car set for 20 minutes and go back to the lanes. Rushing a race is second worst to rushing a racer. Whoever decided to run all the Q16 and change the schedule should have consulted with those that had already made plans to race. I would like to say thanks to Scott Keller for his additional help and sponsorship in the Q16 – I apologize we didn’t represent as well as I wish. I will also mention the fact that some of the guys wearing pink hats thought it was humorous when I asked for 30 more minutes the reply was “its about to rain you should go get your car and be in the lanes” I said “its starting to sprinkle now” he said they were going to run what was in the lanes…. After some discussion we decided not to make a pass in the rain... I just can’t see that happening. I generally try to support any type of racing (even the brackets if that’s all I can get) I had fun and I learned a lot about my car in the week we spent there. I really think some serious thought should go into ways to make it better for the fans that come in to see the cars and the races. If times are changing then the formats should as well. For example - maybe have a heads up class for the fastest of cars - $100.00 buy in or whatever and it goes to the winner .400 pro tree - run it out the back door - people want to see some 7.50's -- I know I would be in...

oh and give the cars and drivers time to make the racing exciting not all cars can make 10-15 min. pit turn around. While I am not the most social person in the pits I could have been a little less stressed out knowing we had more than enough time to get the car that I about to pilot to 168mph ready for the task. I hope this is not the end of the good ol' days of the nats or any Buick events for that matter and we look forward to racing in the future, but I do think that some items need to be thought more through both for the spectators as well as the crews that worked hard to get there.

Like I said good times for sure, we had fun and look forward to racing more events.

Winsett
www.meankidsracing.com

Vendors, All the vendors that go to an event go there for one reason, to make money. If they were making money they would stay. As attendence drops so do sales. Vendor spots are VERY expensive there, the most I paid anywhere. Between traveling, food, employee payroll, lost sales from being closed and everyone at the event wanting a discount price it is hard to make ends meet. I see why some guys do not go anymore. I don't go anymore because our current tax structure does not allow us to do vendor type shows. Sales tax would become a problem which we don't want. this is why you don't see Summit or Jegs at shows. We always did very well at the Nat's. I will say this next year I will be there with a display and a booth with products to sell, (maybe some cool new stuff). You heard it here first.
Mike Licht

Originally posted by Mike Licht
Vendors, All the vendors that go to an event go there for one reason, to make money. If they were making money they would stay. As attendence drops so do sales. Vendor spots are VERY expensive there, the most I paid anywhere. Between traveling, food, employee payroll, lost sales from being closed and everyone at the event wanting a discount price it is hard to make ends meet. I see why some guys do not go anymore. I don't go anymore because our current tax structure does not allow us to do vendor type shows. Sales tax would become a problem which we don't want. this is why you don't see Summit or Jegs at shows. We always did very well at the Nat's. I will say this next year I will be there with a display and a booth with products to sell, (maybe some cool new stuff). You heard it here first.
Mike Licht

Where does all the money go? I really dont think Richard pays it out to the members. I quit going to BG in 1993, I was in the bracket class and I went 4 rounds, it started to rain so they called the race. I thought good, we should at least get about 50 to 75 dollars each for the remaining cars in the semi's. Well we got natta!!! Not one dime. Where did the money go? I bet Richard could show you. Where does all the money for the vendors go? and Please dont tell me it is to rent the track. If the track is so high I could get you a top of the line NHRA track (Silver Dollar Raceway) alot cheaper. Take you a nice drive down to Georgia and visit Richard, Look around see where all of your money is going!! Okay I am done, and ready for incoming scuds;)

Originally posted by Hyper
Where does all the money go? I really dont think Richard pays it out to the members............ Where did the money go? I bet Richard could show you. Where does all the money for the vendors go? and Please dont tell me it is to rent the track. If the track is so high I could get you a top of the line NHRA track (Silver Dollar Raceway) alot cheaper. Take you a nice drive down to Georgia and visit Richard, Look around see where all of your money is going!! Okay I am done, and ready for incoming scuds;)

Well, I am going to "slam" you a bit!:)

Don't know what happened 10 years ago as I was not involved in the race program then. What I do know now is Richard has nothing to do with collecting or payouts for the classes. It is easy to take cheap shots at individuals or the club, but it would be much better to ask questions rather than accuse or blame people.

Most of the bad comments, complaints and rumors come from people that are not club members, do not participate and are not willing to HELP make this an always improving event.

For myself, and the majority of club members, we love Bowling Green, the city, the people, the surroundings, the facility [with a campground next door], geographic location, time of year and all else involved.

Try to attend next year and certainly you may find many differences from 10 years ago, and enjoy the most popular Buick event of the year.

GSCA

Well here is one back, :)

I am not a GSCA member at this time, I stopped being one when I started recieving my GSCA mags and had to read all the bad stuff Richard had to say about torque tech. Every issue use to have him slamming his people in his own town. I let it go on for about a year and then cancel my account with him. I dont like to read about how bad torque tech's exhaust is or how the 2 of them dont get along. Can you give us a budget report of the monies taken in and given out? Can you show a report of what profit was made and where it went? There are alott of people spending alott of money and not knowing where it is going to. I am not bashing Richard I am just telling what happen 10 years ago. Not today as I dont attend. I am however planning on going next year if I can. I love my buick and I love the Buick people, But All I ask is a question, Can A trueful budget report be made availabe to the GSCA members? They are the one's paying the bill's. I live in GA and I have been to Richards house, so I know what I am talking about. I hope it is better than it was and the only fault I had back then was that is seemed that the main mission was to make certain people's pocket's fat and support there hobbies without fairly giving back to the Buick Club. I know there is a account of the money taken in and the money paid out. Who ever has this info should share it with the club. Even If I dont see it aleast the club members should know.

I also thank you for all that you are doing, I dont mean to be bashing just asking?

The best part of the Nats is meeting the people. Putting some faces with names and finding out more information about your car. As far as the politics go, I as a member would like to see how this event is expensed out. How much the track rental comes to and how much money comes in. That would end a lot of the fussing about cost. If the number of cars keep dropping then we are going to see an increase in prices to cover this event. Such as having to pay a pit fee to park your tow vehicle. Overall this is a great place to meet people, see vendors and find a lot more new friends that enjoy your hobby.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the GSCA club recieves any income from the NATS? I thought it was seperate from the club and run by mister personality himself bennett jones and that money made was bennett's????? is this true?

“The GS Nationals have become the single largest event for Bowling Green – year in an

Found this in a local newspaper:

Buick GS Nationals

Also sure to impact the weekend’s economy are the Buick GS Nationals in progress at Beech Bend Raceway through Saturday.

“These are two events that pretty much sell out the town,” said Gary West, executive director of the Bowling Green Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. “The GS Nationals have become the single largest event for Bowling Green – year in and out.”

This is the 22nd year that the GS Nationals have been in Bowling Green. It was absent a few years ago for one year and the absence was felt economically, West said.

“I had one motel owner say that he lost $55,000 that week they would have been there,” he said.

As many as 5,000 vehicles and owners are expected to participate in the event by the time it’s over, making for a more than $1 million economic impact on the local economy, West said.

The race track opens at 8 a.m. each day. A car show began at 8 a.m. today. Vendors booths will be open during track hours. For more information visit www.buickgsca.com.

maybe dropping the tuesday would help lower costs, how many people actually go on tuesday? thursday and friday are always great. when it doesn't rain.

I dont doubt the gs nats makes them that much its obvious everywhere you go its buicks galore. I would like to see them make the vendor prices go down so we can get more vendors back here. Also i would like to see some of the old guys like duttweiler come back which would happen if prices for prize money increase just a little bit. we had our most money ever during 99 columbus nats with jegs and such. i like bg a lot, find a lot of old iron cruising the streets which i dont get back here so much unless its a weekend and then they come out in force. But those are the only 2 things and eliminating tuesday would be good, nobody is here and wed-sat will allow more cars to come in i believe. Also make the track as good as i heard it hooked this year and also in addition try to bring back the show cars as by the pics of this year they have been on decline for quite some time. if this happens then people will start coming back but the members need to speak their minds and get involved more, the big men in charge dont know what to improve if no one says anything. nothing better to me than watching the super 16 cars run all in a row on time trials with wheels up and tire smoke everywhere not to mention the smell of race fuel. But please push the dates back into either the latter part of may or june b/c then you avoid the graduation rush of may for colleges high schools and grade schools and you still get warm weather but minus the outrageous humidity of late june/july!

Don't know what happened 10 years ago as I was not involved in the race program then. What I do know now is Richard has nothing to do with collecting or payouts for the classes. It is easy to take cheap shots at individuals or the club, but it would be much better to ask questions rather than accuse or blame people.

Most of the bad comments, complaints and rumors come from people that are not club members, do not participate and are not willing to HELP make this an always improving event.
Nick,
1.Why does it seem that NOBODY knows where the money goes??
2.Why do you think that NON members are willing to shell out there money to become members & get the run around when they ask Questions??
3.How can you improve the event when the "POWERS THAT BE" Can't even keep the BB up & running??
4.Dont you think if the "POWERS THAT BE" took the time & told the Members how it was going to be & what was going to be paid out the problems would be held to a minimum??
5. Everyone wants the event to be better than the year before, BUT if I make the 16 hr drive & I leave with a Bad taste in my mouth you can bet the only way I'm going back to BG is to watch not race.

Thanks Jim

Originally posted by JRSGN
Nick,
1.Why does it seem that NOBODY knows where the money goes??
2.Why do you think that NON members are willing to shell out there money to become members & get the run around when they ask Questions??
3.How can you improve the event when the "POWERS THAT BE" Can't even keep the BB up & running??
4.Dont you think if the "POWERS THAT BE" took the time & told the Members how it was going to be & what was going to be paid out the problems would be held to a minimum??
5. Everyone wants the event to be better than the year before, BUT if I make the 16 hr drive & I leave with a Bad taste in my mouth you can bet the only way I'm going back to BG is to watch not race. Thanks Jim

This thread has been a little sidetracked from what was initially intended. My answer here is NOT from "POWERS THAT BE", but mine.

First, the Nats "event" and the "club" are operated as separate entities financially. Comments about "people retiring" and other inuendos have no place here, or actually anywhere. If you want to know the financial statement, call the GSCA office and ask them, don't whine. Further, if you are asking about monies for the event, not racer's payouts, it is really none of your business as an attendee or even club member. Go to an NHRA event and ask them to see their books and find out their response. I am a member there too, and pay LOTS more to race less. I am just glad the GSCA has been financially stable enough to hold 23 of these annual events with cost of operation increasing every year.

If you do not direct questions to the right person, you may not get an answer.

Why don't you start and run a BB and see the issues needed to keep it running. Again, just a nasty comment for spite, serves no useful purpose in this thread [or any other].

The payouts vary until the last minute and this information is available from the ones that handle it. See above, find the right person to get an answer.

There are other issues in this thread from others that go beyond its bounds. Being critical and even attacking the event and persons associated with it don't belong here or anywhere. People that attended the event and are willing to offer constructive comments have been reluctant to post due to a few unwarranted posts.

Amen Bill

Although my first Nats was in 96, I would say I was just catching the tail end of what you are talking about. I recognize most of the names you metioned. My dad bought his new in 86, and I have followed the whole scene since then. It was definitely a different time and place than it is now. "Back in the day"

Originally posted by Nick Micale
You bring up a couple good points I would like to address.

An announcer would be great - the job is open if you would like it!:) If you know someone that would like to do it, please let us know. Like most of the event jobs done by members, it is a "volunteer" position.

On that same note, it would be impossible to announce drivers in their cars as most do not fill out their tech form with all the info, like class they run, so it does not get entered into the computer.

Also, if you received a packet, the program has the 5 day event program on page 3. Yes, due to weather it can and does change and this is announced over the PA system. Actually, the entire race program was run including a few extras, and finished about 6:30 Saturday. Nothing was "shortened" or omitted in the race program this year.

at what point did the GSCA announce to me or anyone else that they were looking for a volunteer announcer and/or how to sign up to become one?

I never said I needed to know who was driving what car, I would just like to have the announcements repeated a little more often when they are calling such and such a class to line up in such and such lane to race. I am sure some repeats would help when you are standing in one of those "dead noise" zones and can't hear a damn thing that comes across the speakers.

again, I got the packet and looked at the schedule. but how does this address the issue of having a GSCA rep present at the gate to answer questions on a rainy day before we pay our $$$ to beech bend employees who don't know what is going on and don't want to refund money. Is it too much to ask to have someone man the GSCA tent on saturday? no one was there this year in the drizzling rain.

I don't want to get off on a rant here but here is the situation for most of us:

Most of us have a full time job and can only attend the nats a few days out of the week, not the whole week. Furthermore, most of us are not loaded down with the cash to just pay for a bunch of tickets before hand just to show up the day of the event to discover that it is rained out. we all know how concrete the GSCA policy is when it comes to rain checks...at least I have heard of more than a few bad stories.

Don't get on my back about what you would call "complaining." The nats are not free, especially when one has to travel some distance to get there, pay for room and board, plus pay for all kinds of entrance fees and such. All I have ever offered was some suggestions on what I think could be better in the hopes that someone would hear them. I am sick and tired of people getting on here complaining about the complainers.

I understand that running an event like this is not easy nor cheap by any measure. I have a measure of respect for those who work hard every year in order for us to have some fun with our buick power. With that being said, the people who ultimately collect the money from the event and GSCA members do owe the status of the GSCA club to those same members who help pay for it; so I suggest those who are quick to bash the "complainers" had better check their negative attitudes toward the constuctive criticisms before we (and our money) go somewhere else.

Back