More Powerlogger Windows 8 install issues.

tlturbo

Tag - WUTSA V8
Sorry to sound irritated over this BUT I am a retired computer professional and if I can't this damn thing installed, how are others doing it? I spent a lot of good money on Powerlogger and a Wide Band O2 and their installation, picked the car up and it doesn't work. They got it up and running on a Windows 7 machine but my new computer is Windows 8. I have spent all day reading and reading and I understand the Driver Signature issue and did the routine shown to disable that feature. Then I couldn't find the driver file on the CD sent me. After a few more hours research I found where I could download it. Did that, unzipped it and went back to the car. Plugged it in and tried to find the 2 devices to assign drivers to but they aren't even in the Device Manager. So now what do I do??

Computer pro here...I feel your pain. Windows 8 is a real step back when trying to get some usb drivers to work. I ended up buying a cheap netbook/laptop for less than $100 just for car/powerlogger use.

Some ideas:
Check the Bios to make sure USB/ USB 3.0 is enabled.
Check USB ports with another device to make sure they are active.
A link with a person who had possibly a similar issue: http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-...-not-functioning-working-properly-before.html

Good luck and keep plugging.

Same exact thing happened to me with 8.1, I almost put the new Toshiba under the rear tire and did a burnout I was so pissed, so I went to the local cpu store found a re-furbished 10year old windows xp laptop for $50.

all powerloggers (for almost a year now) are built with signed drivers. So these issues should be very infrequent now.

When was your PowerLogger purchased?

Bob

I have windows 8.1 on my surface Pro two with no issues at all with the power logger

Bob - that is what I thought when I bought my Powerlogger last Dec from FullThrottle. As I mentioned, I followed the instructions and put the PL files onto my computer. I can click the Desktop ICON and PL comes up but when I turn on the ignition, nothing appears under devices. Thanks for trying to help guys.

the current powerloggers use signed drivers, which Windows either has already, or will download from Windows Update. So there are no drivers on the CD.

Do you see anything in Ports in device manager?

Bob

When I have the USB cable attached to the computer and car, I turn the ignition switch on and the computer "DINGS" and in Device Manager there is nothing in ports and in "Unspcified" it shows FT232R USB . When I turn the ignition off, it "DINGS" and that entry goes away. I can click on then Desktop PLC icon and the program opens up fine but isn't connected to the car. It obviously was installed in the car OK because they said they had it running on another computer (Windows 7).

ok, so you have the latest stuff. That FT232 thing is the USB chip on the PL, and there are signed drivers that Windoze should be able to find. Right click on the unspecified device and update the drivers, let windoze check in "windoze update" or whatever it wants to do to get the drivers from outer space, or the clouds or whatever.

that should be all you need to do.

Bob

OK, When I right click on the FT232 thing in Device Manager, it doesn't do anything except display the following options in a dropdown display. Create Shortcut, Remove Device, Troubleshoot. Properties. I tried Troubleshoot and it didn't try to find anything. Next idea? Thanks for the help by the way.

I would try properties, and/or remove device then unplug-replug the USB and let Winders try it again.

Bob

None of that worked. Clicking Properties came back UNKNOWN. Only thing I was able to get was under Troubleshooting. It came back and said the USB was old and might not work on a 3.0 USB port and to move it to a 2.0 USB port. Have no idea if I have a 2.0 port. I tried in in every USB connection and nothing worked. About ready to throw the whole damn thing away. Sorry but I had a heart attack 9-11 last year and while home recovering Windows 7 computer crashed and had to get a new Windows 8 and I F.....G HATE IT. Nothing but problems with it.

This is from win7, but some of it is similar.
Here is a pic below. If you right click on the device and hit properties, then go to the Hardware tab, does it show the 2 things on the list like below? Does it show a COM number?

If not, you might need to update the driver by right clicking on one of those things, properties, then driver tab, and use the update driver button (like below). You probably need to be connected to the internet to do that, as it will try to find it on the internet.

win8.jpg

OK, when I click Properties and then the Hardware tab, it ONLY shows the USB Serial Converter. When I go to it, it shows Driver Provider FTDI just like your pic EXCEPT my version is 2.10.0.0 and dated 1/27/2014. Driver details is the only thing highlighted. driver update is NOT. But I clicked on something and it said it is operating properly. It appears the 2nd device the USB Serial Port ((COM17) is not being found.

Not an expert but I think it has to do with the usb it clicks when it's turned on but not all the info is going through that's why you don't see it in the device manager with the yellow window flag icon.

NOT sure just what I did but it is now working. I drove a bit and made a recording and saved it as instructed.
Is there an in depth users manual online I can read because I have tons of questions that the tiny 8 page User Guide that came with it eaves a lot to be desired.
For example, is there an option that when you save a file, you DO NOT have to tell it where to put it and give it a name. Like a pre selected destination and automatically put the date and time on it like the ancient Turbo Tune (is that what it was called?) would do. Also, when reviewing the graphs of a saved run, there are only 4 graphs (haven't figured out how to get to all the others. I finally found (not mentioned anywhere) that by right clicking a graph, you can change the date element shown. So is 4 all you can see at one time then you have to change them all to see others? Also, how can you sequentially watch the gauges? Like a progression bar at the bottom you can drag from left to right? Looks like this will be cool once I get it figured out. So please tell me there is a manual somewhere. Thanks to all that helped me get this up and running.

Glad the Windows H8 issues are under control. There is no other user manual beyond the one included with the unit. I have intended to update it, but it keeps slipping down the list of todo's. Anyway, the application is intended to be fairly intuitive as well as easy to navigate while driving the car. There is no way to manipulate the usual Windows menu stuff when the laptop is sitting on the passenger seat... thus a few buttons, and some hot keys. I think with a little "clicking around" you will find everything.

The automatic saving stuff is called "quick save", and you can define the default filename and path. You can also set the system to automatically record when you punch the throttle (there is a pre-store buffer so you won't miss anything), as well as quicksave when the recording times out.

The gauge page shows the data coinciding with where the cursor is on the graph page (data page also). you an use the right and left arrows to move forward and back thru the log. (click on one of the graphs first to locate the cursor)

Let me know how it works for you, and/or post a logfile.

Bob