You can type here any text you want

Motor carnage.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RED LS1

I've been on a long debate on what to do with my car that I just bought. I new the motor was bad because it idled rough and blew oil smoke from the tailpipes and breathers terribly. But ti did start fine and run. Compression test showed Drivers side center cylinder down to 60%.

I assumed the piston cracked as this happened once before (#6). I had a weighed my options heavily which were, replace the piston, rebuild the short block with Forged Pistons and roller cam or lastly, go LS/Turbo.

Last night I finally got it up onto the stand and got the pan off. The bottom of the pan is caked with black sludge and metal. Everything from Metallic to full chunks of metal. It was late and dark so I couldn't conclude much. Looking into the motor I can't see any real damage. The piston looks intact but i'm thinking maybe it flattened a lobe?

I guess the next step is tearing it all down. Now i'm down to 2 options which are rebuild this thing with good parts for $3500-6k or just go LS/Turbo and don't look back.

*Forgot to add, I did discover that the motor has ARP Main studs and rod bolts. IT also has a Double roller timing chain as well.

I'd tear it down to see what can be saved. You could always buy a new short block from one of the reputable builders, like Weber. Then bolt on your heads and intake and be done with it.

That's probably where I'll head with it. I've talked to Weber 2 times already about building me something.

Back