Motor mounts and oil pan

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
About to do both of these today, or try at least. Where are these motor mount bolts. I have my wheel off and am looking around and I’m lost.
IMG_3476.jpeg

I heard someproplexremovectgexstarter and some do not for the passenger side?

Find your pad where the mount through bolts. It'll have one bolt/nut set-up going from front to back. Then go up vertically from there. You should see two bolts(one on either side of the actual mount). Those are the motor mount bolts.

No need to remove starter. Put a piece of wood on a floor jack, put jack under oil pan(to spread out load), remove motor mound pad bolt/nut, & jack up motor just a bit until you can access the motor mount bolts.

Easiest way for me was to do above & go through wheel wells. Don't remember if exhaust was on or off(want to say it was on). Do one side, drop motor back down install bolt/nut & go to the other side. Will need ratchet, socket, various extensions, & possibly a swivel.

Sorry for that. I meant I heard that some people removed the starter. And some did not

In the early ‘90’s I heard about the motor mounts going bad and changed to the NAPA brand, but they had a lot less rubber in them and mine were not coming apart so I changed them back.
I didn’t remove the starter, but I may have unhooked the negative battery cable.
It seems the horizontal bolt has a different sized nut and bolt head, maybe 5/8” bolt head and 11/16” nut.
I was able to change them from underneath, but was more limber back then.
As ‘87 Turbo ”T” says, raise the engine one side at a time with a 2x4 under the oil pan.
You will have to feel blindly to get the motor mount bolts out of the block.
It will take some time, just be patient.
I have faith in you.

I had to pick someone up from the airport so I haven’t worked on it since I posted, but I took a look and think I found them. I am shining the light on them. Is this them. Am I correct. I will tackle tomorrow
IMG_3477.jpeg

That’s them. It’ll be an absolute pain & not fun but you’ll whip ‘er.

That's them... I just done one side last week.. take the hex nut bolts loose first thats mounted to the engine block... I didn't remove the starter but I did take both long bolts out of Each pad to raise up the engine. It wouldnt budge with just the passenger side bolt out. for me atleast.

I have these HR parts and stuff ones and they look nothing like the ones in there at all. Just curious how they will fit in
image.jpg

I have these HR parts and stuff ones and they look nothing like the ones in there at all. Just curious how they will fit in View attachment 399779
Same way as the old ones. They will be labeled driver & passenger. Put them their corresponding sides. Allen’s can be a bit of a pain to get in & torque.

Don’t overthink it. Just motor mounts. Go slow, one side at a time.

Side picture. I didn’t see it at first, but there’s a bolt that goes lengthwise that goes through the empty hole on the new mount. I got it I think. Here we go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Same way as the old ones. They will be labeled driver & passenger. Put them their corresponding sides. Allen’s can be a bit of a pain to get in & torque.

Don’t overthink it. Just motor mounts. Go slow, one side at a time.
Yeah, I was over thinking this a bit.

Got the old one out. About to go for the new one. A bit easier than expected, but I am curious to your comment about the Allen’s can be a pain. These are the only Allen’s I see and they are already attached. Do they come out or something?
image.jpg

Got the old one out. About to go for the new one. A bit easier than expected, but I am curious to your comment about the Allen’s can be a pain. These are the only Allen’s I see and they are already attached. Do they come out or something?View attachment 399781
The HR mounts should come with 4 allen(cap head) bolts. Two for each side. You get rid of the factory mount bolts & use the set they sent with the new mounts.

Last edited: